Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Grocery Getter (unibody ftw lol)

The steering is finally in ! Just picked it up! Soooo... anyone wanna help installing? Killians red is on me!

Last Online
    January 2nd, 2014
    4x4
    1988 Toyota Landcruiser (FJ62)
    User Name
    Mporter
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

mattzj98 previously posted:
    "The steering is finally in ! Just picked it up! Soooo... anyone wanna help installing? Killians red is on me!"

Post up a day/time and if i'm still in town and don't have work I'd gladly help ya.

I'm thinking about getting it done today in a few hours. Just need to go get my sis a birthday present first before I get dirty =) not too sure about drinking killians before noon lol

So the steering is in! and it is amazing! no steering stabilizers and it feels a lot firmer than stock form. a lot more responsive too! I think RockKrawler did good! pics coming up as soon as i charge my cameras battery.

Default Rock Krawler Over the Knuckle Steering!

so taking off the old one and installing the new one was not really hard at all... what was REALLY hard was drilling through the knuckles so that they would accept the bolts.

I have broken three $30 drill bits. ace brand, DeWalt, Bosh.. finally one of the cheapest ones from Craftsman did the job! if it wasnt for the driving around buying and returning drill bits, it only would have taken 2 hours tops...

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Looks great Matt!

Last Online
    March 14th, 2020
    4x4
    2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
    User Name
    Mr6dwg
    Real Name
    Bill Gardner
    Thanks Given

That looks nice.

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

Not to pee in your Wheaties, but to me that drag link looks backwards at the passenger side knuckle. My gut tells me to mount the tie rod under, keep the drag link up top, and install the bolts from the bottom so the extra length points up.

Then again, I'm not a fan of drilling out perfectly good knuckles on a DD, I'll just STFU now.

[QUOTE=Hypoid;150849]Not to pee in your Wheaties, but to me that drag link looks backwards at the passenger side knuckle. My gut tells me to mount the tie rod under, keep the drag link up top, and install the bolts from the bottom so the extra length points up.

the drag link is fine, trust me. The steering is called the X factor after all the reason it is that way is to keep the trackbar and the drag link at the same angle to avoid bump steer. i CAN move the drag link on top once i fabricate a track bar bracket that would also relocate it higher therefore reducing the angles.

What you cant see on the picture very well is that the tie rod goes towards the front of the jeep about 6 inches or so, so that they never ever come in contact.

Thanks for suggestions though, Mike, I appreciate it!

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

Leave it to me to not see the obvious.

So, you will be replacing that track bar when you install the OAB?

It never ends...

Hypoid previously posted:
    "Leave it to me to not see the obvious.

So, you will be replacing that track bar when you install the OAB?

It never ends... "

I think the track bar is there to stay however I do plan to swap the front axle ( leaving the same knuckles) track bar is just getting the relocation brackets so that eventually the drag link will end up on top

SO! a buddy of mine gave me a number to a buddy of his... and... Friday after work I am going to look at an axle.. or two.. one of them is a Ford 9inch with a detroit locker installed for the rear. comes with 4.56 gears.. its full width. the front axle is a full width dana 44, high pinion also 4.56 gears out of a full size bronco. All axles have good new bearings, axle shafts and U joints versus my ugly cvs.. Any thoughts on that? im looking to run at least 38 inch BFG KM2s or whatever else i like.. like the Maxxis Mudzilla. Any input onany of these axles is apreciated

Also, what would you expect to pay for those?

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

You can get a junkyard front for less than $200, rear for around $125. Right now, the best thing they have going is the gearing. If you have a V-8, that might not be too bad. You need to determine the axle ratio that works best for your engine v.s. tire size.

The FSB front is a red flag, unless you plan to keep the Ford mounting system with the cast on mounting wedges. Even then, you are limited with your caster adjustment/pinion angle. I saw a '76 with welded on wedges at the junkyard, much better candidate for remounting under another vehicle.

http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm

http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html

Hypoid previously posted:
    "You can get a junkyard front for less than $200, rear for around $125. Right now, the best thing they have going is the gearing. If you have a V-8, that might not be too bad. You need to determine the axle ratio that works best for your engine v.s. tire size.

The FSB front is a red flag, unless you plan to keep the Ford mounting system with the cast on mounting wedges. Even then, you are limited with your caster adjustment/pinion angle. I saw a '76 with welded on wedges at the junkyard, much better candidate for remounting under another vehicle.

http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm

http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html"

Well the guy who's selling it has a shop and said his fabricator would weld on all my brackets for 4link, track bars and coil buckets.. plus I'm thinking the detroit locker and gears alone are worth a pretty penny?

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

"Well the guy who's selling it has a shop and said his fabricator would weld on all my brackets for 4link, track bars and coil buckets"

I have both styles of housing. I'll get some pics so you can determine wether or not it has the cast mounts.

What is the asking price?

1200 for both. Like I said. Brand new bearings, gears and locker

Grocery store is just around the corner.. and thanks =)

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

"Well the guy who's selling it has a shop and said his fabricator would weld on all my brackets for 4link, track bars and coil buckets.."

I'd like to see how that guy deals with the cast wedges, if that is what it has. Price can always be adjusted, is there a warranty? Will he open them up for a visual inspection?

I don't know but I won't buy it till I see the goodies. So yeah, I'm gonna make him open it up fpr me. Ill post pics later on today

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast