4x4
    1991 blazer
    User Name
    Coonburger
    Real Name
    Joshua
    Thanks Given

Default Rear axle questions

Alright this winter is gonna be put some lower gears in the truck pref 5.13's but from what i can see my 9.25 rear end the differentials dont go that low. So iam gonna have to replace the entire rear axle any suggestions to make it easy swap. Finding out now will make it easier finding one on craigslist. I was thinking of trying to find a dana 80 i think my truck being 3/4 ton will make it so i dont have to move the spring perches. Any suggestions?

So after looking at my "bible" you can get 5.13 gears from yukon try randy's ring and pinion.

your are looking for a one ton swap?

you have options but you will be spending some money! I'm saving up for front and rear ton swaps now. by the time you find one off craigs list and then rebuild it to your liking, your could have a few grand tied up.

here are some options:

Dana 60- you can pick these up for a 100-200 bucks they came in allot of heavy duty dodge,cheby,ford trucks and even some cars. they make gear ratios from 3.45-7.17 for these things, along with all sorts of lockers, and axle up grades i.e. cro-mo shafts

gm 10.50 or the 14 bolt- these came in 70's-on up cheby,gmc trucks and suburbans. these are stout pigs! gear ratio's from 3.21-5.38 all kinds or up grades for this it has a lot stronger pinion than the 60 but the differential it's self hangs kinda low.

sterling 10.50- came in ford f-350's and some 250's allot of options with this one here as well.

all if not most of these trucks had leafs. you might just have to cut the old leaf perches off and buy new ones from http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/ or somewhere like that. there are pros and cons to every one of these axles but thats for you to decide. look at http://www.pirate4x4.com they have allot in info there on this stuff.*warning* read! and search! before you ask allot questions that have been asked a million times. it has allot of info, but the people can be ruthless! go to the tech garage on there home page they have articles on the 14 bolt swap and the 60 swap, both good reads. bottom line see what works for you, see what your budget is, try a little research to see what works best for you. I have called randys ring and pinion many times and bought there differential book, it has way more info than I will ever need. But it shows you what is compatible with what.

I researched for about 1 month before I knew my plan for the swap. so I encourage you to do the same and sorry I am not really familiar with your axle to give you advice on that.