Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Thread: Just A Reminder...Tighten All your Junk!

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Default Just A Reminder...Tighten All your Junk!

Having just spent the weekend helping some folks on the forum replace/repair suspension components on their rigs, I thought I would post a general reminder.

Anytime you do any kind of suspension modifications or repairs, PLEASE take a few minutes to double check EVERYTHING that has been removed and then replaced or repaired. The very general guidelines are to re tighten EVERYTHING on any new suspension components after 500 miles. I usually do not wait that long and actually suggest doing that sooner. I do this on my rig either before or after every trail run.

A simple list:

Check all of your spring bolts
    Check all of the steering components, especially the steering knuckle arm bolts
    Check all of the tie rod and drag link ends. This is usually a very basic visual inspection as these should have been tightened all the way on the install and either a cotter pin or safety wire used on the castle nuts
    Check the steering arm retainer bolts

On anything that is torqued to specs that doesn't have a castle nut, use finger nail polish or a metal marker to scribe a line across the top of the bolt and the nut. Doing this will allow for a quick visual inspection and you can easily see if the nut has backed off as the lines will no longer be in alignment.

With a little practice, this only takes a few minutes...and will probably save hours of needless trail repairs. A great many of the 'trail carnage/trail repairs we see not only on this forum, but others, are result of people not doing a simple inspection of their rigs prior to trail runs. Take some time to look under your rig to see exactly what you have. Look for any problem spots, loose wires, places where metal has rubbed clean or where the wear pattern of the metal looks unusual. Look for any leaks.

A very general list to look for:

Grab your drive shafts and see if you can wiggle them easily. If you can, then chances are that you are going to have a worn U joint. Check this by spraying some WD 40 on it. If you get a lot of rust coming out from the bearing races, then these are most certainly in need of replacement.

Grab the tie rod and the drag link and twist it one way or the other. If it moves very easily, then the rod ends are probably worn to the point of needing replacement. Watch for a 'catch' if you are able to twist the links. This is also indicative of a bad rod end. On these, generally if you can twist the tie rod or drag link, you are due for replacement of the ends.

Look for fluid by the shafts on your shocks. If you see fluid there, then the shock is on it's last legs and needs replacement.

With leaf springs, look closely at the top of the leaf and the bottom of the leaf where it attaches to the axle. An excessive wear pattern here will indicate that the U bolts are loose and/or the leaf spring centering pin is worn, bent, split in half or other wise damaged. There have been at least two incidences within the last year where this has happened and resulted in some makeshift trail repairs.

If you have the front wheels up in the air for any reason, grab the top and bottom of the wheel and try to move it in and out. Any movement in this plane will indicate ball joint or knuckle bearing wear. Look at the wear pattern of the tires on the front. If you can feel ridges, then suspect alignment, worn shocks, worn ball joints or bearings. Spin the tire and see how easily they spin and listen for any noise. Noise or resistance can be the result of not enough wheel bearing or Birfield grease, or calipers rubbing on the rotors, bent rotors, or a combination any or all of these.

Look for grease or gear oil around the inside of the brakes/axle hubs/backing plates/ knuckle balls. If you see some, generally it is the axle seal that needs replacing. On drum brakes, brake fluid on the inside of the backing plates will usually indicate a leaking cylinder.

A little general maintenance goes a long way to having fun on the trails. Keep in mind that wheeling a rig adds a ton of wear and tear way beyond what passes for normal use.

More on general maintenance on this link:

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/...od-Thing-To-Do

Great read, and great advice.

I like being on this forum because of people like yourself who give imformation...thanks for that.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Hey thanks, Bernie! You too, Kyle!

A lot of time it is just the simple junk that spoils a trail run...Always happy to share whatever information I have picked up (a lot of it the hard way) when I can...

Last Online
    July 16th, 2016
    4x4
    1988 K5 1999 MX5
    User Name
    Robert B
    Real Name
    Robert
    Thanks Given

hey you can also use a paint pen to mark a line on nuts (used white paint on my pinion nut) as it is easy to see and comes in bright colors

Last Online
    September 12th, 2018
    4x4
    Suburban
    User Name
    southpaws3
    Real Name
    Big ED
    Thanks Given

don't forget grease zerks ---- i do mine once a month -- or every oil change

Last Online
    January 2nd, 2014
    4x4
    1988 Toyota Landcruiser (FJ62)
    User Name
    Mporter
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

southpaws3 previously posted:
    "don't forget grease zerks ---- i do mine once a month -- or every oil change"

Same here

Last Online
    January 21st, 2018
    4x4
    97 Dodge Ram 1500
    User Name
    KnuckleHead
    Real Name
    Happy
    Thanks Given

Thanks for the reminder Brody....