Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bulletproof?

ColoDisco previously posted:
    "DAMN STEVE!! :what: That is just scary!"

Especially scary considering its final death happen at 75mph in the middle of nowhere.

I'll be interested to see if there is any internal damage that's hiding out of sight in that t-case.

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

Haku previously posted:
    "Especially scary considering its final death happen at 75mph in the middle of nowhere.

I'll be interested to see if there is any internal damage that's hiding out of sight in that t-case."

not sure I plan to investigate this... but its sitting in the garage if you care to come tear it apart! case is toast, i should probably pull the gears and shafts as spares, I am sure the bearings arent happy due to being run dry for 40 miles, but the gears look good! In fact, the ones I expected to be destroyed (main tranny ouput gear - tcase input gear) looked just fine, and I know those we rubbing hard while I broought it to the new house. getting it on the trailer I had to start the engine, and those gears werent quite mated, and made a hell of a noise... but appear to be just fine.

In other news... I jsut drove it around the block! I got about 30ft down the road and was reminded how much I love this rig, and why I keep fixing it. Not sure I will take it more than 20 miles or so from home for now, and no offroad, but it will be nice to be able to cruise around with it for the remainder of summer, while I collect parts for a big overhaul this winter. It definitely needs either new leaf springs, of a change to coils before being trail ready, and definitely needs a new tailshaft on the tranny so I can use all the tcase bolts, and I need to swap in my other new torque convertor. Thats the plans for this winter hopefully!

Almost sounds like you need your Daily Driver Scout. Find another $800 stock one and just drive it as a utility vehicle and for fun. Most of the character without the stuff to put stress on stuff.

Glad its driveable though, even if its only only 75% of the way towards completion.

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

Haku previously posted:
    "Almost sounds like you need your Daily Driver Scout. Find another $800 stock one and just drive it as a utility vehicle and for fun. Most of the character without the stuff to put stress on stuff.

Glad its driveable though, even if its only only 75% of the way towards completion."

Ive thought pretty hard about it. I have the room now, but dont really need another rig to work on. Also I think paying insurance on 5 vehicles is enough for right now...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12