Thread: Stupidity at Work: Shoot the Spotter

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Default Stupidity at Work: Shoot the Spotter

I am trying this again as I think this is a very good video of what NOT TO DO, the importance of good spotters, the importance of good communication between a GOOD spotter and the driver, the importance of good and understandable hand signals, and, when all else fails, using some simple damn common sense, none of which were brought into play on this video. This video is going to be especially helpful to anyone new to wheeling who may be confused as to the importance of spotters, hand signals, learning to do easy trails first, learning about what your rig can do and approaching harder trails slowly as part of a learning curve with at least one experienced person in the group.

Since this (Front Range 4x4) is a group that has a lot of people new to wheeling as well as people who are very experienced, the video will be more useful to the people who are new. Read what the more experienced people have to say about the video.

This time, please refrain from any specific make and model references (they will be deleted) and understand that no matter what make or model of 4x4 that you drive or favor, you can get into a lot of trouble without knowledge of what you are doing when you take your vehicle off road. It happens very fast. The people in this video were extremely lucky that no one was more seriously injured. This video should also serve as a good reminder that you need to have a basic understanding of first aid, carry a decent first aid kit with you in the back country and, most importantly, have the right mental attitude to deal with a emergency in a calm manner. Panic in an emergency gets people dead.

Keep in mind, too, that 'help' may be quite a ways away, both in terms of time and distance, hence the need for basic 'first response' first aid training. Also note the people shouting to call "911". Pull up this park on the map and look at where the area is located. Chances are that there isn't going to be good cell phone reception and 'calling 911' is a pipe dream. This is even more true in our state where we have higher elevations and lower valleys. Many of the trails in this state have no cell reception whatsoever. As with any outdoor activity that takes you away from civilization, the farther you get away from civilization, the better prepared you need to be, and a good mental attitude goes a long way.

As an aside, try to picture this group of people dealing with a head, neck, or spinal cord injury, broken ribs that have pierced a lung, a compound fracture, a loss of a limb, life threatening bleeding or any one of a number of things that a rollover of this kind can produce. What do you end up seeing in your mental picture? A very dead person is what I see along a bunch of rather stunned and confused people standing or sitting around going 'WTF' and looking for the 'reset' button. Not a pretty picture....

Most of the other threads and blogs on the internet reflect what I said...and it is all over the internet. Just Google Anza Borrego/heart attack hill/jeep rollover. Almost all the 4x4 forums have a thread going on about it. I couldn't find the actual full story, but I didn't look all that hard, either. The driver ended up with a broken back, showing that having seat belts in a 4x4 rig usually means that they are there with a purpose in mind rather than something that gets in the way....

This video was filmed in the Anza Borrego Desert State Park in California, about 2 hours drive from San Diego. It is located just south of Joshua Tree National Park, an area I hit for climbing every time I am in California. It encompasses some 660,000 acres and has approximately 500 miles of off road trails.

Last Online
    April 14th, 2016
    User Name
    gm4x4lover
    Real Name
    Nicholas Boisvert
    Thanks Given

Communication, best thing you can do before you start an obstacle is set the ground rules for communication. Which hand signals, directions, eye contact and what voice commands mean. The other thing we do when we go out is one person typically spots. And when the spot the first vehicle on an obstacle the finish every vehicle in the group. I truly wonder what the story behind these people on this particular trail. They really dont seem like they belong out on the tougher trails.

Last Online
    November 13th, 2015
    4x4
    Suburban 454,dana60 14bolt,locked .coiloverfront,
    User Name
    tonkatoy
    Real Name
    Bill ENGLEWOOD DRIVESHAFT LLC
    Thanks Given

I don't know who was more lost the spotter or driver

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

gm4x4lover previously posted:
    "Communication, best thing you can do before you start an obstacle is set the ground rules for communication. Which hand signals, directions, eye contact and what voice commands mean. The other thing we do when we go out is one person typically spots. And when the spot the first vehicle on an obstacle the finish every vehicle in the group. I truly wonder what the story behind these people on this particular trail. They really dont seem like they belong out on the tougher trails."

You are absolutely right and if you don't understand your spotter, do not proceed until you are both on the same page.

Last Online
    August 31st, 2019
    4x4
    1978 Bronco
    User Name
    Cr33p3r
    Real Name
    Sean
    Thanks Given

The spotter should never have been spotting!!! Especially that way waving both hands and continually waving the driver to keep moving forward. A big lesson for anyone spotting set up what you are doing with the driver before hand and make sure to use good clear signals and voice communications too!

thank goodness for cage also

I had seen this video before. and agreed a roll cage is essential!

Last Online
    October 29th, 2013
    4x4
    1984 FJ 60
    User Name
    EldoradoFJ60
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Thanks Given

I would have run that jacknuts spotter over. Or told him to get the hell away from me. Dude's hands looked like he was trying to keep flies at bay.

I think Rob might have been an air traffic controller in a previous life.

Last Online
    December 18th, 2015
    4x4
    Rigless...
    User Name
    Beefy
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

I wanted to punch that spotter in the face from the start!

Makes me happy I have a roll cage....especially with all the spotting Chris (Scrat) seems to do on our runs.

Last Online
    December 19th, 2020
    4x4
    2008 FJ Cruiser/1982 FJ40
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

EldoradoFJ60 previously posted:
    "I would have run that jacknuts spotter over. Or told him to get the hell away from me. Dude's hands looked like he was trying to keep flies at bay.

I think Rob might have been an air traffic controller in a previous life."

No, but I was a bartender (see comment below), and I think a lot of those skills transfer to the trail.

Sunshine24 previously posted:
    "STOP, DISCUSS, and THEN proceed."

I made people stop drinking, then I discussed their level of intoxication, then I proceeded to call the bouncer over when they got belligerent or tried to hit me with a barstool.

Stupidity kills! being a Marine this was evan more so! but it applies to everything in life including 4 wheeling

Last Online
    April 14th, 2016
    User Name
    gm4x4lover
    Real Name
    Nicholas Boisvert
    Thanks Given

EldoradoFJ60 previously posted:
    "I would have run that jacknuts spotter over."

Dude bout got run over when he was in the path of the jeep falling over.

It could have be a tragedy

thats a good one ... I had a great guide person once and i flopped Molley on her side , the other times when i rolled Molley i didnt have guide person .. ...PROUD to say I DID IT ALL BY MYSELF .. lol

Last Online
    August 31st, 2019
    4x4
    1978 Bronco
    User Name
    Cr33p3r
    Real Name
    Sean
    Thanks Given

Molley previously posted:
    "PROUD to say I DID IT ALL BY MYSELF .. lol"

Those are the best ones, because they don't count on the STUPIDITY scale where it was due to someone else!

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

...PROUD to say I DID IT ALL BY MYSELF .. lol

Got a couple of those myself. Pegged the stupid meter all the way into the red with no help at all.

Last Online
    August 21st, 2020
    4x4
    2011 4dr Rubicon
    User Name
    glacierpaul
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given

That IS what makes us MEN!

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Love that feeling. You do something, have the good luck to be able to walk or crawl out of it and stand there and look at the predicament and go "Hmmmmmmmmmm? Now what?" Then "****! That really hurts! Wonder if it's broken?" Or just simply screw up bad enough so that you have some managed to get yourself in a really stupid spot minus any injuries.

Rolled a F150 I had...ass over front...and ended up upside down, smelling gas, my fuel pump going madly, sparks popping from under the hood and only a small section of space left that I could crawl out of...at dusk, of course and by myself. I quickly turned the key off(pretty good thinking, I thought, for having had my bell rung and hanging upside down...), but the pump was shorted and kept pumping merrily away. I managed to get out of the hole in the windshield, though if I had weighed about 30 pounds more, probably wouldn't have fit and the rest of the cab was crushed flat. I ripped the wires from the fuel pump-easily accessed now that the rig was upside down and then did a "Wow!" "WTF!!??"and "Now what?" all the time feeling rather lucky that a stray spark hadn't torched off the whole mess.

Another time was in the winter on a narrow two track. Lotsa snow, by myself as I was simply doing some camping and solo climbing, but had gotten snowed out, but other than that a good day. I was going downhill on this narrow ass road and stopping every hairpin corner to check out what the next section of road was going to bring. I checked the last section and it looked like the road simply turned to the right and continued. I drove almost down to the bottom and realized that where I thought the road turned, it actually dead ended. No place to turn around, so I tried to back up the hill (69 bronco, locked front and rear). HAHA. Kept sliding towards the downhill side. Tired a chain, tried a strap, tried building up a berm, tried a lot of different ****. I finally realized that I had to turn the Bronco all the way around on the narrow two track, essentially in it's own tracks, so that it faced uphill. 6 hours later, using a big ******* Ramsey winch, a come a long, a hi lift and every damn piece of tow strap and chain I had, I was facing back up hill. As I was busting my ass trying to get the situation remedied, I was having a really good "Nice, job, you dumb dipshit!" conversation with myself. All of the camp supplies, food and stuff were, of course, about 5 miles away where I had camped. I had some basic crap with me, but not the good stuff.

Last Online
    July 24th, 2016
    4x4
    2000 4runner Sport
    User Name
    Michael4rnr
    Real Name
    Michael
    Thanks Given

That was a really bad spotter. She is lucky that the roll cage did it's job.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

This video of Chris is a result of a bad spotter. In this case, the spotter purposefully spotted Chris into a good 'photo op' ...and dangerous to Chris...situation, simply to get this video. The second video shows me trying to get a wheel off the ground (and barely succeeding) in the same spot. The biggest difference here, aside from the flex in the different suspensions, is that Chris WAS watching the spotter to AVOID getting this tippy and the spotter 'spotted' him INTO this. I knew that I had a long way to go before getting tippy, so it wasn't a concern of mine.

If you can manage not to fall asleep waiting for me to get to the hole....

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast