User Name
    cfr
    Real Name
    Charles
    Thanks Given

Default New parts for the EJS!

Just ordered the Teraflex Elka shocks,

http://www.teraflex.biz/jk-elka-shoc...ers-all-4.html

The wife says that the Jeep is "too bumpy" so I ended up with these. Ah, the joy of overkill.

They run these shocks on their prerunner. Recognize those tires? I had them first.

I couldn't afford the SpeedBumps.

Also got the Off Road Evolution Drag Link Flip Kit to address some flighty steering and wandering on the highway,

http://www.offroadevolution.com/stor...INKFLIP&cat=27

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Looks like they will be a nice addition to the Jeep!

Probably going to smooth out the ride a bit, but you might explain to your wife that the terrain the Jeep travels over usually dictates the "bumpy" part...

Last Online
    June 20th, 2017
    4x4
    2009 Jeep Wrangler X Unlimited
    User Name
    cfr
    Real Name
    Charles
    Thanks Given

Brody previously posted:
    "you might explain to your wife that the terrain the Jeep travels over usually dictates the "bumpy" part"

The terrain she cares the most about are the everyday dangers that a soccer mom is up against when driving a lifted 4x4: irregular road surfaces, manhole covers, railroad tracks, etc.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

The terrain she cares the most about are the everyday dangers that a soccer mom is up against when driving a lifted 4x4: irregular road surfaces, manhole covers, railroad tracks, etc.

Are pedestrians included in the 'etc.'? I realize that a great majority of peds may be at the bottom of anyone's list, but....

LaDawn seems overly concerned about mud, though I am the one that deals with keeping her rig clean. She hasn't mentioned bumps yet..

Those "Speed Bumps" are a big part of the reason they can thrash it like that. Looks like only an inch or two of uptravel till those come into play. I'm sure the shocks help too though. They are FOA sells them for $150 each with the mounts included if the Terraflex ones are too spendy.

Are you getting their whole kit or just the shocks? I imagine they work the best in conjunction with the coil springs since they both contribute to ride quality. Looks like fun though. I've very tempted to get my truck to first and foremost deal with high speed bumpy stuff like that, and then do the crawling characteristics afterwards. I had a ton of fun flying across the high speed stuff in Moab, but my tail is oversprung so it tends to be a bucking bronco (rear axle in the air and the front stays on the ground).

Looks like it will make your jeep all the better though. Let us know if you need help installing.

Josh

Last Online
    June 20th, 2017
    4x4
    2009 Jeep Wrangler X Unlimited
    User Name
    cfr
    Real Name
    Charles
    Thanks Given

Haku previously posted:
    "Are you getting their whole kit or just the shocks? I imagine they work the best in conjunction with the coil springs since they both contribute to ride quality."

Their "prerunner" kit is their 2.5-inch long-arm lift, Elka shocks, and the speed bumps. I'm getting the Elkas to replace the Teraflex 9550 gas-charged twin-tube shcks that came with my Teraflex 4-inch short-arm kit.

My motivation is to smooth out "normal" and "rough" roads and trails. The feedback on the forums for the Elka shocks is very good. Think I've only hit the bump stops a few times and I'm not really a "high speed"/prerunner kind of guy so I can live without the speed bumps. The remote reservoir is certainly overkill for my needs.

Suspension tuning is truly an art, especially when you want it to do well in a bunch of different terrain. It helps a ton when a company does all the leg work and testing, and I'm sure that it will make a very noticeable difference for you. Agreed that the reservoir shocks are a bit overkill, but they certainly won't hurt. Better to have more then you need then not enough for sure.

Only recommendation I can think of is that you have to take care of your investment a bit more then an average shock. Scotty at Addicted said that he has been super vigilant about washing the Mag Chloride off his Fox Coilovers and they are still showing initial signs of corrosion. Nothing too much to worry about, I just wouldn't go all winter without washing them off, and putting a light coating of marine grease or something to act as a salt barrier would probably help too. Otherwise, I think its pretty much business as normal with them.

Can't wait to hear how they do for you.