http://jalopnik.com/#!5788579/the-sc...aught-on-video

Though...why he was filming who knows.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Now you know why I repeat this just about every chance I get. Didn't even have to watch it. Been to too many back country wrecks and seen what flying heavy stuff stuff does to the human body first hand.

Hi Lift jacks are a nice thing to have flying around, too. Imagine someone clocking you in the head with a 40-60 pound piece of metal and you will get the basic idea. Accidents involving unstrapped down Hi Lift jacks account for the majority of wheeling injuries....

Last Online
    June 13th, 2018
    4x4
    05 Land Rover LR3, 01 Discovery
    User Name
    Brad
    Real Name
    Brad
    Thanks Given

Hence the reason Pete made me a mount for the roof rack. I consider it bulletproof. That video is nuts.

Last Online
    February 15th, 2014
    4x4
    2004 Nissan Xterra
    User Name
    Andrew
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Thanks Given

I can't tell if it was in the truck ahead or it had just come out of some other vehicle and that guy ran over it and sent it shooting up.

Last Online
    February 15th, 2014
    4x4
    2004 Nissan Xterra
    User Name
    Andrew
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Thanks Given

Oh and I've kinda been there.

I had a piece of plywood come out of the back of a pickup and fly straight into my car once. Luckily, it wasn't the edge that hit the flat side did and it didn't do any damage. If it was the edge I may not be here now.

ColoDisco previously posted:
    "Hence the reason Pete made me a mount for the roof rack. I consider it bulletproof. That video is nuts."

D-rings/shackles too, if you leave those on! I don't keep mine on the back, just the front to hook my winch to and I tighten them with a screwdriver! I see people on forums saying they lost one! Hopefully not through someone elses car!
    Whenever I leave something on, I periodically check to make sure it's staying.

Last Online
    January 7th, 2020
    4x4
    75 International Scout
    User Name
    scout man
    Real Name
    Steve
    Thanks Given

Andrew previously posted:
    "Oh and I've kinda been there.

I had a piece of plywood come out of the back of a pickup and fly straight into my car once. Luckily, it wasn't the edge that hit the flat side did and it didn't do any damage. If it was the edge I may not be here now."

I had that exact thing happen one day. Sheet of plywood came off a roofing truck on I70. Difference is I was on a motorcycle at the time. It landed verticle just in front of me, and i broke it in half. Collapsed the mirrors on both sides of the bike, but didnt touch me and I stayed up,. Could have ended very differently.

Last Online
    December 19th, 2020
    4x4
    2008 FJ Cruiser/1982 FJ40
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

Andrew previously posted:
    "I can't tell if it was in the truck ahead or it had just come out of some other vehicle and that guy ran over it and sent it shooting up."

I watched it several times. It looked like it was on the road and the trailer kicked it up into the air.

Last Online
    May 13th, 2019
    4x4
    '92 Range Rover
    User Name
    Funrover
    Real Name
    Aaron
    Thanks Given

Holy cow, that would cause some stains on the seat!

Last Online
    January 2nd, 2014
    4x4
    1988 Toyota Landcruiser (FJ62)
    User Name
    Mporter
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

I was expecting it to come from that flatbed, but damn that gave me a jolt.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

As a person who has routinely carried a lot of loads on pickups and other vehicles since I have been driving because of all of the construction work I have done, you have to keep in mind that you have a certain obligation to other people you are sharing the road with. To hell with being sued, though this can and will happen if you are that brain dead that you cannot strap down a load properly and happen injure or kill someone, this is basic common sense. Really basic...

I picked up a hood for a 2009 Tacoma that I am doing repairs to. It wouldn't fit in my Jeep, so it went on the roof and it was windy. I strapped it down, then ADDED two additional straps around the whole roof and through the car because of the wind and the fact that I didn't trust the groovy roof rack (stock Grand Cherokee model) not to leave the Jeep with the sail on top.

This is, to me, the same basic reasoning that goes behind any mods done to the suspension, frame, steering or anything else that affects the stock configuration of your rig. You alter or change something on it, you had better be thinking of the other people on the road, too, that you may kill or injure due to inexperience or sheer laziness. If welds don't look good, then take the extra time to grind them off and re weld it...or weld another pass over what you have done. If you do a suspension swap or lift, ALWAYS tighten up everything again after about 500 miles for the same reason.

People have to remember that it isn't 'just them' on the road. You do share the road with a lot of other people and a complete disregard for their safety reflects total ignorance, coupled with basic stupidity, with a generous sprinkle of selfishness thrown in for good measure.

There have been times when I have either pulled over or gone into another lane when someone's ladders (or whatever) were not tied down properly and looked to be ready to go sailing off onto the road. Pipe loads are another really good one that I avoid driving behind...

Last Online
    February 29th, 2016
    4x4
    1985 4Runner
    User Name
    4Runninfun
    Real Name
    Jon
    Thanks Given

Brody previously posted:
    "Pipe loads are another really good one that I avoid driving behind..."

Or logging trucks... I hate driving behind those those guys. They are always in a hurry and it doesn't take much for those logs to shift just wrong and transform into 40' projectiles.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Ah yes, you are now living in logging country. I totally forgot about that. When I wheeling in Washington state, the logging trucks were entertaining, to say the least, both on the highways and on the logging roads that made up a lot of the 4x trails....