4x4
    2006 Toyota 4Runner
    User Name
    foxtrot
    Real Name
    Brad Tencer
    Thanks Given

Default toyota transfer case

My rear case has had some problem since I installes the duals. when I am shifting from 2hi into 4hi, the shifter sometimes gets stuck halfway. I then have to take it out and re do everything. has anyone ever had this happen? and what did you do to fix it? there are two shift rails in the t-case, one for 2/4wd and the other for hi/lo. it is getting wedged in between the two rails.

Did you put the interlock pin back in? Did you get the detent balls and springs back in?

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

What Aaron said. Plus you can easily upgrade the spring to a stronger one but that solves another problem that you didn't mention....

Last Online
    March 25th, 2019
    4x4
    2006 Toyota 4Runner
    User Name
    foxtrot
    Real Name
    Brad Tencer
    Thanks Given

I never took them out since it was the rear case. only thing that was done to that case was to drain it, take the shifter out, put studs in it, and bolt it to theadapter. it never did this before, and that is why I am confused.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Just out of curiousity, are you sure that you cut the hole big enough, especially if you have a body lift? Easy enough for the shifter to get bound up that way.

Last Online
    March 25th, 2019
    4x4
    2006 Toyota 4Runner
    User Name
    foxtrot
    Real Name
    Brad Tencer
    Thanks Given

ya, we even tried it without the shifter boot on there, we made sure the shifter does not contact anything. it is inside the case somewhere where it is getting stuck. one of my friends said the ball on the end of the shifter could get worn out and that could cause it?

Did you have to trim the shift rails? I'm trying to remember back 4 years ago when I originally did duel cases.

is this an every now and then kinda problem???? when you say--
    foxtrot previously posted:
    "I then have to take it out and re do everything"

does this mean the only way to get it unstuck is to remove the cases from the truck, tear down, put back together and try again???? or just take it out of 4 back to 2wd THEN back through the gears??

Last Online
    March 25th, 2019
    4x4
    2006 Toyota 4Runner
    User Name
    foxtrot
    Real Name
    Brad Tencer
    Thanks Given

means taking the shifter out (4 bolts) and manually shifting it with a screwdriver and then putting it back in. I cut the front shift rail but it didn't say anything about the reaar. im hoping I didn't need to cut the rear :/ that would suck. it wasn't specific in the instructions

Last Online
    March 25th, 2019
    4x4
    2006 Toyota 4Runner
    User Name
    foxtrot
    Real Name
    Brad Tencer
    Thanks Given

every now and then, yes

was it trail-gears instructions? i remember doing my tcase and the guy i built it with was like "man, i know your supposed to trim the rail but the instructions dont say anything about it". then when we were done i was having shift issues on the bench. then we looked at the online instructions and the shift rail trimming was at the very end. yes, after the instructions of how to put it back together. it was a "note" at the end, kinda like "oh by the way". that was the front rail. i too dont remember anything about trimming the rear. i just ran out to my garage and looked and i cant find the printed off instructions i had of the dual case install.

if it shifts fine with the shifter out im thinking the shifter may be hanging up on something. maybe the spring under that conical piece that holds the shifter in???? (honestly i dont see that causing your issues but hey..................)
    im kinda leaning towards what Volcom said in post 2. detent ball. maybe the socket it sits in is getting worn out. now that i think about it, i do remember TG's instructions talking about there bieng 2 different types of shift rails, and if you had one type you didnt need to trim and if you had the other you had to cut off like an inch!?!?!?!?. but i dont remember the 2 types of shift rails, wether it was the difference between top shift or foraward shift, or just 2 different types of shift rails in the same kind of tcase????

i just re-read my post and man, is my post flighty!!!

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost....5&postcount=13
    http://board.marlincrawler.com/index...6278#msg356278

I had to do this to my rear case. The rear case was popping the first case out of gear. I bet that's your issue.

Last Online
    March 25th, 2019
    4x4
    2006 Toyota 4Runner
    User Name
    foxtrot
    Real Name
    Brad Tencer
    Thanks Given

it is doing that also, I have to shift the rear case out of 2hi to get the front to go into hi

foxtrot previously posted:
    "it is doing that also, I have to shift the rear case out of 2hi to get the front to go into hi"

Did you trim the rear case driver's side shift rail? If you didn't, you'll have to pull the cases out of the truck, pull them apart and trim that shift rail.

Last Online
    March 25th, 2019
    4x4
    2006 Toyota 4Runner
    User Name
    foxtrot
    Real Name
    Brad Tencer
    Thanks Given

well, I will deff. be giving TG a call in the morning about their crappy instructions. I trimmed the crawler box shift rail but not the rear case. I'm going to leave it for now, and change it once I do my oil change after the first couple trail runs.

Bummer about that. I did mention to follow the Marlin ones to you when you were over here, since they are much better. Sucks when that stuff happens and I hope that this is the actual issue.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Don't get me going on 'dealers or manufacturers' instructions....I have never done any kind of lift kit on anything or any kind of mod like the dual cases where the instructions were on the money. Not in 40 something years of working on various 4x4s....ever.

Waste of time contacting TG about their instructions (maybe, but worth a shot) as most manufacturers tend to get their little panties in a bunch if you criticize them. What gets me is that it would only take one or two sentences in the right place to save people some grief...and what is that? About 20 seconds worth of work? And no cost if they have the instructions on line, too.

Remember my issue with ToyTec and Stephanie's FJC lift? I mentioned that if they were to add about 2-4 sentences for clarification to their lift instructions it would make a world of difference. Well, panties got tightly knotted on the ToyTec side, the owner of the FJC forum was contacted by the owner of ToyTec and the post of the build on Stephanie's rig was removed. I got called by the owner of ToyTec and had some words with him, too. All over 2-4 sentences that would have helped me and anyone else doing one of their lifts..

Problem is that all of these companies have the dude that has done 500 XXXX installs write the instructions. Some of the stuff is so second nature to the guy that it never gets mentioned and simply left out of the instructions.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/sites/a...-installer.pdf
    Page 9 on Marlin's instructions
    "If your rear-most case is out of a 1985 to 1988 top shifting EFI (W56-A/B) tranny then you must shorten the driver's side shift rod. This is the shift rod sticking out of the rear most case when you shift into 4hi that has the flat side on top. You must trim 1/2" off of the front of this shift rod to avoid jamming between the two cases."

Like I said, I missed this paragraph when I built mine and had to pull the cases again to fix the problem.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Like I said, I missed this paragraph when I built mine and had to pull the cases again to fix the problem.

Ouch...

At least it was included in the instructions. Me, I have NEVER EVER missed something in the instructions......(Yeah....right. Got ocean front property for sale in Arizona, too...A pet T Rex for sale...bunch of other stuff...)

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Tell me about the oceanfront in AZ Pete, I'm interested!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast