Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toyota Flatbed Ideas

pretty nice

It'll be nicer after a new engine... or someone buys the rolling shell.

Last Online
    January 18th, 2016
    4x4
    98 taco
    User Name
    wyota
    Real Name
    Todd Woodworth
    Thanks Given

this is what id like to build

Here in Northside Denver my new little truck is already seeing some serious action making scrap runs, running my favorite alley routes, and generally terrorizing the all nice yippy cars with not so smart drivers.

Because of all of the carnage and the need to horde things in my garage, I decided to run wild with the new skool kids and am using a full custom off-axis "hybri-bed" system that in my application uses the stock bed integrated with a custom flatbed. You'll notice the off-axis design utilizes the smartly designed bed-to-fender union axis access point, combined with the strength of the stock bed's beefy side rail, which we took a step further and modified with an accelerated automotive grade oxidation process (rust color to match brown color of truck) that creates misc. sizes and shapes of holes that create enough traction between the beds to manage the entire load under its own pressure, all while maintaining a modular ability that is much appreciated when opening/moving the flat bed in its many configurations, or when cruising at speed on the highway. You'll also notice well over one million unique tie-down spots allowing you to live out your cargo hauling dreams...

The full floating spare feature saves me all of the crazy weight and bulkiness of a wheel attachment mechanism that will have nothin but outdated threaded studs and cumbersome lug nuts anyway. there is plenty of room to store lumber and misc. metal and plastic things on the top of the flat bed, and for expedition use, the custom dimensions of the space inside the "wedge" provide for an amazing sleeping experience while being a superior barrier against the natural and un-natural elements that may exist outside the safety of the "wedge".

The last cool feature you probably were already definitely wondering about, is the new tricked out BowTyte quad-ratchet with lock-stripes (white stripes on side of red power-tyte ribbon). Because of the way it secures any equipment, anytime, to anything, and the fact it gets the items out of the way of almost any obstacle possible, I have been able to take my truck into crazier spots with even better and heavier trash bounties. It’s allowed me to take my object acquiring to new heights by having my tools in arms reach when I need them, and by keeping them totally out of the way no matter what!

Overall my new “hybri-bed” (also referred to as an Integrated BedBed) has been a great addition to the truck utility wise and has also added and enhanced style that turns heads all over town.

I’ll make sure to include some more info on my future build thread about the engineering and science that went into this particular Integrated BedBed project.

-mrmatt

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Love the multi axis, double stack up design....and the custom tool tie downs!

Nice score on the flat bed! Even if you don't like the overall design of it, the base platform can be easily modified pretty much any way you would want, including an under bed spare relocation.

Put some feelers out for the regular pick up bed. Even though it has some rust and dings it may be better than the bed someone else has on their Yota.....

Last Online
    April 6th, 2019
    4x4
    Toyota/Scout/Nissan
    User Name
    Patrolman
    Real Name
    Jeff
    Thanks Given

Nice find! I would have snagged that same bed for the truck. It will serve your purposes well! Congrats on the find!

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Here is a picture of a really clean, simple and nicely designed flat bed on yet another Yota. This used very easy to work with square stock and came out very nice.

Although the flat bed design is nice and looks good, check out the ass engineered (ass engineering is ass engineering, no matter who does it, who owns the rig, where the rig is located, etc.) rear shock positioning. Angled shocks are designed to get more flex out of the not so flexible stock shock locations. Overkill on the angle( and I saw this in action on a JeepXJ I was following on Spring Creek one year) pretty much defeats the purpose as the shocks end up having no room to compress. The Yota in this picture has all of about 3-4" before his shocks bottom out....

And before the overly sensitive people who have complained about my lack of sensitivity when I refer to ass engineering as just that on someone's rig that isn't on or involved with the forum and the ass engineering picture is something I pulled off the internet, I really and truly don't care if I 'hurt' this guys feelings or not. He should fix his shocks.

Brody previously posted:
    "Here is a picture of a really clean, simple and nicely designed flat bed on yet another Yota. This used very easy to work with square stock and came out very nice.

Although the flat bed design is nice and looks good, check out the ass engineered (ass engineering is ass engineering, no matter who does it, who owns the rig, where the rig is located, etc.) rear shock positioning. Angled shocks are designed to get more flex out of the not so flexible stock shock locations. Overkill on the angle( and I saw this in action on a JeepXJ I was following on Spring Creek one year) pretty much defeats the purpose as the shocks end up having no room to compress. The Yota in this picture has all of about 3-4" before his shocks bottom out....

And before the overly sensitive people who have complained about my lack of sensitivity when I refer to ass engineering as just that on someone's rig that isn't on or involved with the forum and the ass engineering picture is something I pulled off the internet, I really and truly don't care if I 'hurt' this guys feelings or not. He should fix his shocks."

That guy has all kinds of bad going on with the suspension, the shocks just a part of it. I can't tell if those are buggy leafs or not, but they sure look like it. Might just be a weird lowered shackle mount though. Seems like that suspension was designed for minimal up travel and a ton of droop. Still, those shocks are doing next to nothing as far as dampening, and I bet it side hills like crap too. With more height, thats how the PO did them on mine and it sucks off camber. I know with my flatbed will have them mounted as straight up and down as possible. With the wider axle, I might even be able to mount them outside the frame.

Last Online
    January 2nd, 2014
    4x4
    1988 Toyota Landcruiser (FJ62)
    User Name
    Mporter
    Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Given

Brody previously posted:
    "all of about 3-4" before his shocks bottom out...."

I don't even know if he has that much room between the tire and the bed...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12