4x4
    '11 Wrangler JK
    User Name
    Fatboris
    Real Name
    Eric
    Thanks Given

Default New Years Eve project - Good idea or Bad idea

I want to make the New Years Day run. I have JK Unlimited springs I picked up last week, they'll add another inch lift with no other mods needed (so I'm told) I have limited tech know how and ave never messed with coil suspension before. I'm thinking New Years Eve would be a great time to put on the springs and make sway bar disconnects. I already plan to rent spring compressors.

My question, since I'll be flying solo on this, is it a pretty safe bet I can do this and still make the run? Is it worth it?

Last Online
    June 13th, 2018
    4x4
    05 Land Rover LR3, 01 Discovery
    User Name
    Brad
    Real Name
    Brad
    Thanks Given

You will also run into alignment issues. I always recommend a fresh alignment with springs. It is tougher than you think.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Personally I wouldn't try to get it done the night before a run, too many variables could keep you from getting it done. You really don't need it for the run as far as I can tell so spare yourself the potential aggravation of ending the year with skinned knuckles and a potentially unfinished project.

Just my

Chris previously posted:
    "Personally I wouldn't try to get it done the night before a run, too many variables could keep you from getting it done. You really don't need it for the run as far as I can tell so spare yourself the potential aggravation of ending the year with skinned knuckles and a potentially unfinished project.

Just my "

Ditto.....that never works. Start it now if you can. I don't think I've done a single project with suspension and such where I got it done in one sitting. I don't think you'll need that extra inch of lift for the new years run, so why not start the night after the run instead? One thing I've learned is that if I really want to go on a trip, don't start the reasonably well involved project just before it.

Last Online
    July 16th, 2016
    4x4
    1988 K5 1999 MX5
    User Name
    Robert B
    Real Name
    Robert
    Thanks Given

Haku previously posted:
    "One thing I've learned is that if I really want to go on a trip, don't start the reasonably well involved project just before it."

so is it bad then that the blazer is sitting in the air and the springs are being changed ??? only the rears so far though

Not sure I would call it "bad". I would say you risk not being able to go on the trip if there is a snag and a part is missing or something. I know I've done stuff like this a bunch of different times, and have had to miss out on wheeling I wanted to because of it. Its not really a good or bad thing, but kind of bummer when it happens. Still, gotta make sacrifices and timing doesn't always work out. Good luck with your spring install though, and hope you make it in time. Thats a fairly doable thing, especially since you have 3 days to do it. If the run was tomorrow morning, might not be the case though.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Gotta go along with what everyone else said. If you start a project the afternoon or evening before, you are almost guaranteed not to make the next days run due to Murphey's Law...Ask anyone on the forum, skilled or not, mechanically inclined or not, and just about everyone will give you the same answer. Most of us have been there/done that...still do occasionally, too...

Never a good idea to purposefully get yourself under the gun either, as that is when mistakes are made. Nice as they would be to have, they certainly aren't necessary for the scheduled run.

Last Online
    July 16th, 2016
    4x4
    1988 K5 1999 MX5
    User Name
    Robert B
    Real Name
    Robert
    Thanks Given

plus mine are leafs and im not messing with the front so no alignment issues ...yet.....now to get bolts that are 22 years old out of the truck.......

Last Online
    July 16th, 2016
    4x4
    1988 K5 1999 MX5
    User Name
    Robert B
    Real Name
    Robert
    Thanks Given

oh and i found why the rear end would be real soft then hard as a rock.....the RR shock is blown and there is like maybe at most a 1/4 inch space between the bottom leaf and the overload.......

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Well, Robert, you might just want to put a wrench on that particular spring pack so that you don't end up doing what one of the other folks did on the forum when they didn't check their spring junk...Ended up a trail fix that JUST worked and could've easily been avoided ... Nice that you spotted it before a sheared center pin or trashed U bolts left you stranded somewhere....

If you can wait til the following week/weekend, we can knock it out at my house. Done a million on Mustangs back in the day. You'll want air tools dude.

I'm out again crack of dawn Sat until Tuesday and tied up until then. Lemme know!

Last Online
    December 19th, 2020
    4x4
    2008 FJ Cruiser/1982 FJ40
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

Chris previously posted:
    "Personally I wouldn't try to get it done the night before a run"

X5 or 6. That's why I did a once over on the 40 over the weekend and not the night before the run. Found the problem with the bellcrank, tore into and fixed it. Now, as long as nothing else pops up between now and Saturday.

Last Online
    July 16th, 2016
    4x4
    1988 K5 1999 MX5
    User Name
    Robert B
    Real Name
    Robert
    Thanks Given

well the springs are all changed out and i will get pics of the 2 diff leaf spring packs ...the only thing left is to crack loose the right rear lower bolt since its frozen in place...just want to crack it loose and clean it to get the full flex.......oh and :hijack: srry fatboris

Last Online
    January 17th, 2019
    4x4
    '11 Wrangler JK
    User Name
    Fatboris
    Real Name
    Eric
    Thanks Given

fredrok previously posted:
    "If you can wait til the following week/weekend, we can knock it out at my house. Done a million on Mustangs back in the day. You'll want air tools dude."

Sounds like a good excuse to drink beer in the cave. I'll plan on it.

Fatboris previously posted:
    "Sounds like a good excuse to drink beer in the cave. I'll plan on it."

Yup. I'll keep you posted. These folks have changed their plans 3 times now so who knows what'll happen or where I'll be. Far as I know now, I'll be back Tues.. You can only do a week night or weekend day anyway right?

Last Online
    December 3rd, 2023
    4x4
    1990 Cherokee
    User Name
    Hypoid
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

Hmmm, Golden. My leash might be long enough to reach your place. I have experience with coil swaps in an XJ.

I'd be down to help too. I even have a set of Coil Compressors you are welcome to use.

Last Online
    January 17th, 2019
    4x4
    '11 Wrangler JK
    User Name
    Fatboris
    Real Name
    Eric
    Thanks Given

fredrok previously posted:
    "Yup. I'll keep you posted. These folks have changed their plans 3 times now so who knows what'll happen or where I'll be. Far as I know now, I'll be back Tues.. You can only do a week night or weekend day anyway right?"

Weekends only now, back on the road starting next week. I'll be off to St Louis...cause the Midwest is AWESOME in the winter.

Hypoid previously posted:
    "Hmmm, Golden. My leash might be long enough to reach your place. I have experience with coil swaps in an XJ."

Haku previously posted:
    "I'd be down to help too. I even have a set of Coil Compressors you are welcome to use."

I'm not going to invite everyone to Fred's but I'll certainly take yall up on it if he's game. I really appreciate it.

"Weekends only now, back on the road starting next week. I'll be off to St Louis...cause the Midwest is AWESOME in the winter."

I thought I was the only one. I was just there last Wed. and then again Monday thinking how fortunate I was - twice in one month. I get to tour Omaha, Winnipeg and north Nevada next week. Special.

"I'm not going to invite everyone to Fred's but I'll certainly take yall up on it if he's game. I really appreciate it."

Let's play it by ear depending on my sched and hope for next weekend (currently looks good). We'll see by then who's available to hang and help out. I'd be more than happy to relinquish my tools and watch while I rent beer.

Haku previously posted:
    "I'd be down to help too. I even have a set of Coil Compressors you are welcome to use."

Hypoid previously posted:
    "Hmmm, Golden. My leash might be long enough to reach your place. I have experience with coil swaps in an XJ."

Cool! See above^^

It may gain 3/4 - 1" if they are Unlimited hard top tow package Rubi springs. I have my JK sitting on Unlimited 4 door soft top X model rated springs and it sits lower than a stock Rubi. (had no other option at the time since I got rid of my factory stuff when the lift went on and I picked up what is on there now for $20.00) Spring compressor won't be needed if you have the frame rails sitting on jack stands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast