Front Range 4x4 Upcoming Trail Runs - Add a New Trail Run

Thread: replacing winch hook?

Default replacing winch hook?

Does anybody know how to replace a winch hook?. My cable snaped earlier this year.

Last Online
    August 20th, 2014
    4x4
    2011 Ram 1500
    User Name
    RockyMtnHigh
    Real Name
    Jock
    Thanks Given

One of the negatives to steel cable, you can't splice it, but maybe someone has a remedy for it that I don't know of.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Roland- Most people simply replace their winch line with a new one at this point. A breaking line is usually a good indicator that the cable has seen better days.

Steel winch line is fairly cheap and, if you post on the forum that you are looking for a new line, I would bet that someone has the steel line they took off their winch when they replaced it with synthetic lying around somewhere. Craigslist would also be a good place to look. If you do a search for replacement line, keep in mind that there are more than a few terms used for winch line are: winch cable, winch rope, and winch line being just a few.

A very quick search on craigslist Denver :

New cable, new roller fairlead $60 each:

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/2059591878.html

And this off of IH8MUD:

Fairlead, hook and steel cable $75

http://forum.ih8mud.com/sale-parts/4...able-hook.html

You shouldn't have too much trouble finding a perfectly good cable. At this point, having broken the old one, I sure wouldn't use it again except as a back up tow strap.

Thnks Pete , will do

Im picking up a new cable from a 12500 winch tommaro.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Glad that you found one. This, to me, is one of the best benefits for synthetic line. All of us still running steel cable can always find replacement line for pretty cheap....

cable is in and spooled up. I only paid $60 for cable , hook and fairlead.

Roostercruiser previously posted:
    "cable is in and spooled up. I only paid $60 for cable , hook and fairlead."

SCORE!!!!!

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

If you don't need the fairlead, PM Stephanie as she is collecting winch stuff and will help defray some of the cost, I bet.

new

old

much thicker cable , new one on the left

Last Online
    August 20th, 2014
    4x4
    2011 Ram 1500
    User Name
    RockyMtnHigh
    Real Name
    Jock
    Thanks Given

Roland, this maybe me just being paranoid, but that loop end on the new cable doesn't look factory. The ones I have seen, the loops are smaller and have a protective insert (thimble) on the inside of the loop, like:

Looks like someone went down to the hardware store and bought a lead crimp and made another loop, if that was the case I suppose you could have saved yourself $60 and spent $1.50 at Lowes and just used your old cable. Everything I have read on steel cable, says not to trust those "do it yourself" crimps, at the very least in a pinch to use u-bolts and saddles when making another loop when you break one off.

Someone may have something to add that contradicts that, just telling you what I have read and heard. At the very least you may want to keep an eye on it, that end coming loose under load will send that cable flying in the opposite direction at the speed of light.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

Maybe not Jock. Both of my winches are Warn with Warn cable. They both have a flat style swaged cable clamp. The one in the front doesn't have the protective cable sleeve, the one in the rear does. I don't know if it fell out or was ever there, but it isn't now and the cable/hook works fine without it. The newer winch cables are using a little cooler tech to crimp the ends.

the cable came off a Tmax winch, from a landrover defender 90, my old cable was tthe same way.