4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

Default Changes on Yankee Hill

This last Sunday the entire family, my half brother and both rigs went out to run Yankee Hill. Gatemonkey and I were just up there two weekends before. Hugh did not need spotting and there were no issues. That has changed. According to one of the locals sitting on his ATV at The Hill, there has been a huge amount of rain up there. There are parts of the trail that have been washed away. I had to spot Hugh a few times from my rear view mirror and we had to actually get out and spot each other towards the end of the trail. The Hill itself. We were all at the bottom, getting snacks, letting the dog out, trying to hit rocks with a partially burnt 2x2 post, etc. A Jeep passes by and asked if I went up the hill. Sure I did, even he did I say pointing to Gatemonkey's stock Ranger. The Jeep driver takes a look and comes back, saying his passengers gave it a no. A bit later I see three ATVs come up the trail. Two make the attempt. I see one get stuck. Odd. We drive both trucks further up towards the base of the hill and notice this huge crevasse coursing up the hill. Where the hell did that come from??? Talked to the ATV guys. One got stuck in the large water crease in the earth. We decided no hill climb for us.

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

It is narrower and tippier than the pictures indicate.

And the big blue old Landcruiser was also in the parking lot in Idaho Springs.

Last Online
    December 19th, 2020
    4x4
    2008 FJ Cruiser/1982 FJ40
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

Default Re: Changes on Yankee Hill

Wow, that looks sketchy. Of course, I've seen that trail only in the snow.

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

It was sketchy enough not to try.

looks fun!

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Good thing the Ladies Run's been postponed!

Now I want to get over there to see it. I can't imagine that dramatic of a change there.

I thought it was slated for being graded but it doesn't sound like heavy equipment work you ran in to.

It might be worth trying again ,

Last Online
    December 19th, 2020
    4x4
    2008 FJ Cruiser/1982 FJ40
    User Name
    Rob
    Real Name
    Rob
    Thanks Given

WINKY previously posted:
    "looks fun!"

X2. I might have to try that trail without snow one of these days.

It seems like rain and snowmelt damaged a lot of trails this spring. Kelly Flats, Sevenmile and Acme Creek in the Canyon Lakes District are all still closed because of damage. And there's that pit on Pole Hill. Those are just the ones I know about.

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

DrOldUnit previously posted:
    "It seems like rain and snowmelt damaged a lot of trails this spring.."

I have been noticing the changes on just about every trail I have been on this year. The changes on Yankee happened in two weeks. Look at the Gatemonkey run from two weeks ago- there were no such spots.
    The washout shown in the picture with the Ranger at the top has a bypass but it is not exactly a legal bypass. It is run over grass, off trail. At this time, there is no way around it if your vehicle is not suited. Yes, I know, if your rig can't make it get off the trail, but wow, no one expected this one on what is generally a relatively easy trail

They were doing a bunch bulldozing and such on Yankee last year, and it seemed to soften stuff up a bunch. Not sure if their efforts really helped all that much. I've also noticed that the last big hill leaves much to be desired in "errosion resistance" and am not particularly surprised to see this. All those short but intense rain storms in the last couple weeks have dumped a huge amount of rain on the front range, and it does it in a way that doesn't allow the rain to get absorbed into the ground, so it just runs free. Its pretty rare for Clear Creek to come up significantly due to rain, but it went up like 300cfs in a day last week. Rather indicative really.

Last Online
    January 21st, 2018
    4x4
    97 Dodge Ram 1500
    User Name
    KnuckleHead
    Real Name
    Happy
    Thanks Given

I've never ran this trail but looks like it might have just made it a little more challenging and fun.... this is from pics that I have seen from other posts.

Last Online
    August 9th, 2012
    User Name
    Brody
    Real Name
    Pete Brody

By this time next year, the Forest Service will probably have spent about $100k on grading the trail to the point where a Mini Cooper with low profile speed tires can do it....money, of course, much better spent on education, schools, health and other, slightly more pressing, issues. Of course, major backups of Mini Cooper owners who have been dying to try this trail have caused consternation in the higher realms of government in Colorado, especially since Mini owners represent a large and very affluent part of the off road community.... Bills have already been introduced to remedy this very disconcerting issue and the governor is making every effort to address the comfort of the Mini Cooper owners..

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

My mom was saying that she wanted to do Yankee when she comes out next time. They are going to leave the Tacoma at home and bring Mom's Mini. She loves hers.

Are you thinking of the Ferrari club I passed Sunday while driving back from Estes? All eight of them had Stay the Trail stickers on the back windows.

Brody, don't be surprised if you see the new Countryman on the trails

On my way home sunday got lost at Yankee. Did not know i was that far south. But got a good look at the hill, pretty rough shape. Someone in a stock ranger was giving it an attempt with no luck. I thought he was going over when he tried to turn it around. I was able to walk up it with no issues. Lockers and 37s did help. But was a fun hill. Dropped in to the wash out in the first part and was a bit tippy and was able to straddle it at the top. FUN hill!!! Sorry no PICS I was with my daughter on a Daddy Daughter run exploring and was headed home up Yankee to Kingston. Fun Trip. No top and when i parked it in the garage it started to rain. talk about timing.

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

Redcreeper- I am guessing it would have been a bit much for the FJC? How deep were the trenches?

Pathrat, been thinking about this one... Not knowing what you have on your FJC here is what i think. I know i would not take it in my FJC. 3in lift, stock tires (31inch bfg ATs) and a rear locker with not enough gearing equals no fun. And i am still making payment on it. Don't like to bring a knife to a gunfight. Could see myself spinning all the way to the top looking for traction. The trenches are maybe 2 feet deep or so with loose rock on the ground part if this makes sense (so your pass tire will drop in and your driver will be on loose rock) but don't quote me. The trench at the top start at the left and as it comes down the hill it goes to the right side. So on the right at the bottom you have to go in or try to walk the wall. I tried but just slid in. i have 37s on Woodstock and just felt real tippy. There was a stock ford ranger open that tried it before me and went to the high left side and tried to drop in. looked like a bad line from where i was at. got all sideways and he had to back it down. So my assessment would be 33s locked front and rear with low gears would be a challenge and exciting (like my old jeep) but doable. The two issues would be loose rock and the trenches. At the top you can straddle it and would be OK. 35's locked rear would make it easier for the trenches and of course gears. As i tell folks also these are just my words and opinions. Every obstickle has a line that works for every vehickle (not always but...) and every driver has there own skill set and know what they can and cannot do and are comfortable with. For me i just kept my foot off of the power to keep the loose stuff still and tried to straddle the trench as best i could and avoided stopping. Woodstock has 37s and detroits front and rear with 4:88s with a V8 so was not hard just tippy in spots. If you have the tires the trenches should not be bad but the loose stuff with out a locker may present an challenge. Hope this helps.

Last Online
    August 19th, 2014
    4x4
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    User Name
    Pathrat
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Thanks Given

Redcreeper: that is an EXCELLENT description of the hill! Anyone wanting to attempt it should read your eval first.

I did not consider taking my FJC up it, no way.

NP glad i could post up. come on... it would be a show at least.... like i said its more driver than vehickle. But the vehickle does help.