4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Default Black Bear Pass

Black Bear Pass in the San Juan Mountains is one of those trails that doesn't live up to its "killer trail" reputation. Yes, there are steep drops and very tight switchbacks that can result in dangerous situations if you're not paying attention. The question is why would you be on this, or any other, trail and not paying attention? Yes, people have died here but every crash I've heard of was the result of plain old carelessness and nothing more.

The trail takes you from Ouray over the pass to Telluride. Take Highway 550 south out of Ouray for about 13 miles. After the highway sign for Red Mountain Pass you'' can see a sign on the right for Black Bear Pass. There's plenty of room to gather and air down.

Map of Black Bear Pass

The views are fantastic and the descent (one way) in to Telluride are beautiful. The trail itself is moderate due to the experience anyone should have when running this trail. It's not for the faint-hearted or those scared of heights and narrow trails. Vehicle requirements are 4x4 with low gear, good brakes and a well-maintained truck. The descent in to Telluride is the highlight and the second hardest section of the trail. Since it's one-way you don't have to concern yourself with traffic and as long as you take it slow and easy you'll be fine. The hardest part in my opinion are the switchbacks after the descent. These are numerous and very tight and require careful maneuvering depending on the length of your truck. My Toyota FJ62 is nowhere near short and typically requires a 3 point turn to make it around the switchbacks. Shorter trucks may have it somewhat easier but regardless of the length all require close attention.

Don't get so wrapped up in the descent that you don't pause and enjoy the views which are among the best in Colorado.

A view of Telluride from the top of Black Bear Pass.

About to start the descent into Telluride which can be seen in the background.

This is a section of the descent, as you can see it's not loose rock or severe in any way.

This is the base of the steepest section. Most trucks have to back up as shown before heading to the level section and Ingram Basin & Falls. Note that this first switchback also signals a change in the trail surface. It's no longer solid rocks but is loose gravel making it necessary to pay very close attention.

Typical switchback though this is one of the easier ones. I've never gotten a pic of the real tight ones due to the foolishness required to take a photo instead of handling the driving.

It's important to enjoy the views and not just focus on the descent. This is among Colorado's most beautiful areas and we're fortunate to be able to enjoy these trails. A bonus is that once you get past the switchbacks you arrive at the Bridal Veil Falls where you can, and should, take a break and enjoy the falls. If you're there when it's hot you'll certainly enjoy the cooling mist coming off Bridal Veil Falls.

Default Re: Black Bear Pass

Here is a PIC for you guys..... I think it is a bit wider now.

Last Online
    November 21st, 2023
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Thanks Kenny, I was looking for that in my files and couldn't find it - It's from an old Warn Winch ad.

NP. I show it to the wife once and now she does not want to go on that one. And after the switchbacks of death with only front brakes after spring creek, my passenger tire went hanging half off the edge the gravel kicking out from under it, i dont thing she will be riding on the hairy cliff stuff much anymore.