PDA

View Full Version : Be careful

Funrover
November 12th, 2009, 09:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mcT2mnlBPQ

Never know when bad things can happen

Pathrat
November 12th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Super suck! It didn't seem to take much; scary.

Funrover
November 12th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Super suck! It didn't seem to take much; scary.

Yeah the video did no justice for that hill!

Rob
November 12th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Didn't see that coming. Figured it was going to happen somewhere over the hill. Sliding backwards on a hill, particularly on a turn, can cause all sorts of problems. Looks like the longer wheel-base rigs didn't have a problem on that turn, though.

Speedwagon
November 12th, 2009, 11:28 PM
:eek: Wow, that's awesome that the rest of the crew was able to trailer it right out of there, after FFL took the owners out.

On a lighter note... see what them big tires get you fools? They get you rolled! I'll take my 23" tires and not go all bouncy down the mountain, TYVM! :lol:

WINKY
November 13th, 2009, 01:32 AM
glad to see no one was killed at least. looks like driver banged his head pretty good though.

This is a prime example why i try and wait till the person in front of me is done with the hill as if they come tumbling down it can take out another vehicle or someone in the vehicle....

WINKY
November 13th, 2009, 01:35 AM
On a lighter note... see what them big tires get you fools? They get you rolled! I'll take my 23" tires and not go all bouncy down the mountain, TYVM! :lol:

dont get too overzealous about that statement.:tsk: i know of a few places where i can easily roll your subie, and my bigass rig wont....

It is mostly the loose screw behind the wheel that gets ya in a bad spot. This guy regardless of tire size should not have let his jeep roll backwards. Unless something broke and he wasnt able to stop it in time.

Haku
November 13th, 2009, 03:15 AM
That hill must be a lot steeper then it looks in the vid, since he tumbled hard. Very scary, and definitely is reminder to never underestimate a trail or obstacle. On the bright side, the recovery seemed very well thought out and safe, which is safe. Definitely not always the case for other incidents I have heard of.

JH

Speedwagon
November 13th, 2009, 03:55 AM
dont get too overzealous about that statement.:tsk: i know of a few places where i can easily roll your subie, and my bigass rig wont....

It is mostly the loose screw behind the wheel that gets ya in a bad spot. This guy regardless of tire size should not have let his jeep roll backwards. Unless something broke and he wasnt able to stop it in time.

Hill holder clutch FTW!

4Runninfun
November 13th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Hill holder clutch FTW!

I still can't figure out why this concept hasn't caught on, it's such a good idea and to my knowledge subaru is the only one that has come out with this.

WINKY
November 13th, 2009, 05:11 AM
ive got one, its called "my diesel wont stall"..... i hold the brake and let the clutch out and i go....:lol:

4Runninfun
November 13th, 2009, 05:44 AM
HEY YOU BACK ON THE BUS! WHO LET YOU OFF! :lol: :thunb:

Mporter
November 13th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Wow that sucks.

I hated how they showed the rollover in slow motion like 4 times though.

WINKY
November 13th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Wow that sucks.

I hated how they showed the rollover in slow motion like 4 times though.

+1:rant:

Brody
November 13th, 2009, 08:19 AM
They showed the rollover 4 times because it was geared toward the same intelligence level and attention span as TV commercials: that of a 5 year old.

Big tires didn't have anything to do with the roll. The rear wheel driver's side dropped into a hole. The front passenger side came up and the rig was sideways to the slope, causing the front end to lift and turn dowhill. LaDawn almost did the same thing a couple of years ago on Kelly Flats when she stalled out heap on an uphill turn and pushed both the brake and clutch pedal in at the same time. We had started bouncing back downhill, with the front end getting higher and higher each bounce. Aaron grabbed onto the stinger to keep the front down at the same time I yelled at LaDawn to dump the clutch and yarded on the E brake. Another couple of bounces and we would have found ourselves in the same position.

Dude should've done the same thing: dumped the clutch and tagged his e brake.

Andrew
November 13th, 2009, 08:21 AM
I think that part of the problem was that he had his locker on for this - and I don't think you really need one for this hill...but hard to say without beeing there.

Watch the rear end - there is some locker creep going on (or it looks like it - maybe it was just that loose) - it wasn't able to steer as well and the rear end was kinda sliding around which is what led to the issue I think. I think the steering didn't feel right and the creep might have got him off line of where he wanted to go - but the real issue was stopping with a manual on that hill and trying to restart. Don't know if he had a hand throttle or not.

Probably hard to see that hole he went into, but yeah.

Speedwagon
November 13th, 2009, 02:51 PM
If he had just let off the brakes, would the jeep have just kept rolling further back, until it was more leveled out? To me, it looked like the back left tire dropped a little bit, but then the wheel dropped another 4 inches or so as the rubber compressed.

And I didn't catch it before, but if you look closely when it starts to roll, the driver actually starts to put his arm out the window! :eek: Hands, feet, heads, and dogs are supposed to stay inside the vehicle at all times while in motion!

Mporter
November 13th, 2009, 03:00 PM
And I didn't catch it before, but if you look closely when it starts to roll, the driver actually starts to put his arm out the window! :eek: Hands, feet, heads, and dogs are supposed to stay inside the vehicle at all times while in motion!

Yeah I saw that the first time and just sat watching in horror

Brody
November 13th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Yeah...just think Def Leppard...that is exactly how the drummer lost his arm. Still plays and kudos to him (you gotta give the man a hand:D), but I bet it toned down the 'arm waving as we go over bit'

scout man
November 13th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Still plays and kudos to him (you gotta give the man a hand:D)'

Ouch! Ruthless!

That was my first thought too was the arms out the window. If you watch closely both driver and passenger tried to brace themselves by grabbing the outside of the door. as it tumbles you see arms all over, then at the end the passenger is holder he arm up in that air with some gause on it trying to stop the bleeding. Lucky she still had an arm to hold in the air.

Andrew
November 13th, 2009, 04:39 PM
That is why you have handles to grab which are INSIDE the cab.

So if anyone ever builds a truggy thing or whatever - get some of these:

http://fourtreks.com/roll_bar_handle.html

Or something similar.

Andrew
November 13th, 2009, 04:40 PM
btw scout man your new avatar kinda makes it look like you're a toy figure next to a toy figure truck.

I don't know why - it just kinda does.

gm4x4lover
November 13th, 2009, 05:25 PM
I think that part of the problem was that he had his locker on for this - and I don't think you really need one for this hill...but hard to say without beeing there.

Watch the rear end - there is some locker creep going on (or it looks like it - maybe it was just that loose) - it wasn't able to steer as well and the rear end was kinda sliding around which is what led to the issue I think. I think the steering didn't feel right and the creep might have got him off line of where he wanted to go - but the real issue was stopping with a manual on that hill and trying to restart. Don't know if he had a hand throttle or not.

Probably hard to see that hole he went into, but yeah.

I dont know that hill was pretty steep. what would have helped him out the most is an auto. What killed it was a combination of short wheelbase, standard tranny, and letting his guard down.

porkchop
November 13th, 2009, 06:19 PM
pretty hardcore roll over there it look like they were gonna make it before they backed down

ShutUpHippie
November 13th, 2009, 09:56 PM
I think he spilled his beer cooler :mad:

WINKY
November 13th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I think he spilled his beer cooler :mad:

alcohol never helps...:mad:

Mporter
November 14th, 2009, 08:22 AM
alcohol never helps...:mad:

it would help to forget that stuff :thunb:

scout man
November 14th, 2009, 03:07 PM
btw scout man your new avatar kinda makes it look like you're a toy figure next to a toy figure truck.

I don't know why - it just kinda does.

First time I have heard that one! :thunb:

Roostercruiser
November 14th, 2009, 03:30 PM
i know on china wall on the anniversary run i lost traction on the first snow hill right of the bat and gravity took over and i just started to slide backwards and side ways at times it felt like i could have easily rolled it then if it went side ways. gravity is a big part in what we do

Brody
November 15th, 2009, 07:21 AM
gravity is a big part in what we do

It sure is! I have always liked the "Fight Gravity" climbing shirts....

DETN8R
November 16th, 2009, 09:41 PM
looked like that stinger did its job.