PDA

View Full Version : Exo cage before and current Brody's heap

Brody
September 9th, 2009, 02:12 PM
I just saw one of the pictures of my heap at the top of the page and realized that I hadn't gotten the lower part of the exo done when it was taken. People seem to think that the exo was all done at once, but it was essentially a 2+ year affair.

I did the double bars and the forward rails first, tying the forward rails into the bumper. Then I did the back rails that you see in the unfinished exo picture. Finally I did the lower rails. At each stage, the cage was gusseted and reinforced.

We are essentially doing the same thing on Sean's Ranger: the cab, the back, the front hoops, then the front top rails and all the cross bars. At every stage with both Sean's and my build, the rig was drivable and better protected. Those of you considering an exo cage should keep this in mind as the $1800-2200 bucks for an exo doesn't have to all spent at the same time. The only thing to realize is that for an exo cage, you absolutely must have some sort of good rock rails already on the rig in order to attach the exo cage.

I also included a 'near stock' picture. This had 31x10.50s, Detroit rear, Easy Locker front, IFS, 3-4 " lift, 3.0L.

Mporter
September 9th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Man, I absolutely love your tube doors....soooo sick

Brody
September 9th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Them is the authentic $10 apiece Chevy S10 tire carrier doors, available at all junkyards. They fit in the door opening of almost all Toyotas, though I am not sure about the 60 series. The steel is stout and all you really have to do is to rig the door mount latch, grind off the part that carries the tire, and make a couple of plates that bolt up to your hinges. About 3 hours work and $20 later you have tube doors. Mine were a hair moe complicated as I wanted to mount them to the exo cage. They would have fit perfectly in my door opening, attached to the regular door hinges.

Couple of posts on pirate 4x on it or just google "Chevy S10 tube doors"

DETN8R
September 9th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I refuse to believe that you wheeled a "near stock" rig. Sweet pics Brody.

Brody
September 10th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Here is a rather bad picture of the front and cab exo. I drove it with this set up until I had enough $$ to do the main rear section. I also had some 36" Swampers on it for awhile. The picture I wish I could find is of the 69 Bronco I had that a similar setup on it, was flat black, running on 38s, tilt fiberglass hood, soft top and doors, 10" lift, bored big block, yada, yada...but it seems to have gone on vacation..

And yes, I have been known to drive 'near stock' rigs sometimes, though most 4xs I have had have been modified to the hilt (money permitting).

1freaky1
September 10th, 2009, 06:36 AM
I wish you could find that pic too as I would really like to see that ride.

Funrover
September 10th, 2009, 11:18 AM
As I said before..NICE!! Where was that rock pic taken?

Brody
September 10th, 2009, 12:41 PM
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.pngThe picture was coming down the hardest part of the first rock obstacle past the mine on Wheeler Lake. This is me driving it this time, but this is the line LaDawn chose to go down right after flopping the rig on the other obstacle.

Funrover
September 10th, 2009, 12:43 PM
looks worse in that pic then it is