PDA

View Full Version : K5 Blazer

ShutUpHippie
April 13th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Has anyone had a K5 Blazer in the past who wants to give their opinion on how they liked it? I am seriously thinking about getting one soon. I realize it won't be as flexy as my Jeep, but I have always wanted one. Since rock crawling isn't on the agenda really, just regular trail runs mostly, I figure it shouldn't be a problem. Fire away. :thunb:

Roostercruiser
April 13th, 2009, 10:42 PM
yall saw my burban on china wall just shorter. and reemovabe top. i luv my burban and could not imagine wheelin anything else/

Dan
April 13th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Are the K-5s fullsize and two door?

Funrover
April 13th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Are the K-5s fullsize and two door?

Yes.

I have not had a K5 .. but have had some experience with a Ramcharger (Dodge version basically) They are a great rig.. but get ready to spend $ on gas compared to your Jeep. Honestly they make great camping rigs and handle trails just fine.

Roostercruiser
April 13th, 2009, 11:38 PM
they also make slide in pop up campers for them which is cool. gmlover was telling me he owned a k5 before hed have the anwers.

Funrover
April 13th, 2009, 11:43 PM
they also make slide in pop up campers for them which is cool. gmlover was telling me he owned a k5 before hed have the anwers.

There are a couple for sale on craigslist.. one for cheap.. but no motor. and yeah GM4X4LOVER would be a great person to talk to about K5's

Jimmy
April 14th, 2009, 05:57 AM
www.coloradok5.com

You can make a K5 as flexy as you want. :) I had a '77 when I lived here last time. If you get one with a SBC in it, you'll have so much room in the engine compartment that you can literally climb into the engine compartment - feet 'n all - to work on it.

Pros: parts are cheap, lots of room, removable top ('75 and older had the top that continued to the windshield, '76 and newer removes just the back half of the roof and sides), easy to work on...
Cons: They're wide if you're used to wheeling a little Jeep or similar, so adjust you need to adjust your driving style a bit; They're heavy vehicles and with a stock SBC, don't expect huge power or good gas mileage...

ShutUpHippie
April 14th, 2009, 08:55 AM
So far I have heard nothing but good things. (minus the gas mileage thing, but my Jeep only gets about 15ish anyway- it has 206,000 miles on it) Thanks everyone for your input, and if anyone else wishes to add, please do.

Roostercruiser
April 14th, 2009, 09:11 AM
:thunb:my burban is getting around 10-12 miles per gallon. plus i got into an accident with my burburban 4 yrs ago. i was following a 4 runner and had a safe stopping distance. a little suburo wagon slid inbetween us a nailed his brakes i rear ended him and made a two out of his 4 door wagon. he got the ticket and a wrecked car and i drove home with a slightly bent bumper. i feel alot safer in these in an accident.

gm4x4lover
April 14th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Has anyone had a K5 Blazer in the past who wants to give their opinion on how they liked it?

Loved it would always get another.

I am seriously thinking about getting one soon.

U should, one of the best out of the box wheelers. Easy to modify.

I realize it won't be as flexy as my Jeep.

Mine have always out flexed my jeep (make sure you roll down the rear window). My last one with leafs all the way around would score an 879 on a RTI ramp. At around 37 inches of flex.

but I have always wanted one. Since rock crawling isn't on the agenda really, just regular trail runs mostly, I figure it shouldn't be a problem. Fire away. :thunb:

k5's, according to me, are the best rig for the money. tons of parts, fuel injection, later models 89 and up had high spline count axles, lifts are cheap. And most imortantly you have storage room, you can seat 5, and tow a trailer. Best back country vehicle by far.

Tee Hee
April 14th, 2009, 03:46 PM
I say you cant go wrong with a K5, there pretty cheep to start with. The bone yards are full of them and the interchangeability of (most) parts from 73-91 makes for an endless and inexpensive supply of parts. One of the biggest supplier of aftermarket parts for them, Offroad Design is right in our backyard too.

Chris
April 14th, 2009, 04:28 PM
A K5 owner registered today, we'll see if he does and intro. I'm pretty sure he'd have something to add to this. ;)

ShutUpHippie
April 14th, 2009, 10:05 PM
The one I am looking at is a 1990, 4" Lift and 35's. What (if any) gearing should I be looking for with those tires? Or do you think it will really make a difference?

Pathrat
April 14th, 2009, 10:12 PM
IIRC, didn't DavePri have a Blazer before he got that nice Jeep? Maybe PM him.

Brody
April 15th, 2009, 06:04 AM
I posted some links to charts on figuring out gearing, gears and ratios in the 4x tech section , but right off the top of my head, anything above 4.56 will put you in the ball park power/torque/mileage. Here is the post:

Came across these looking for calculators for Sean. All of them are good and should answer any questions you have about gearing, tire size, and crawl ratios.

Here are a couple of good links :

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

http://www.4lo.com/calc/gearratio.htm

http://www.rocky-road.com/calculator.html

http://www.4x4offroads.com/tire-size-calculator.html

This is just for the ring and pinion, but it is good:

http://www.ringpinion.com/Calc_GR.aspx

Brody
April 15th, 2009, 06:08 AM
k5's, according to me, are the best rig for the money. tons of parts, fuel injection, later models 89 and up had high spline count axles, lifts are cheap. And most importantly you have storage room, you can seat 5, and tow a trailer. Best back country vehicle by far.[/QUOTE]

There you have it in a nutshell! Do not get the non injected one if you have a choice. Back in the 80s you could get major lift with no flex. Now just about anything after market suspension wise is going to be flexy...just do some research before you buy...

gm4x4lover
April 15th, 2009, 06:50 AM
The one I am looking at is a 1990, 4" Lift and 35's. What (if any) gearing should I be looking for with those tires? Or do you think it will really make a difference?

Do you have any pic's of it or a link? 1990 is a good year. It will come factory with 3.73's and with 35's i think 4.56 are best. I have 35's and 4.88's and it is a little low.

ShutUpHippie
April 15th, 2009, 08:17 AM
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=136&pictureid=1040 Sorry it's not bigger, but you get the idea

ShutUpHippie
April 15th, 2009, 08:24 AM
..and just out of curiosity, how much power will I lose with the stock gearing? Could I still drive the speed limit up mountain passes?

Brody
April 15th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Yes, but your foot is going to be way more into it and the engine revs will be getting up there. Response as far as passing is going to suffer as well as a gas mileage drop...and you will also suffer a power loss at the low end when you are wheeling...none of this is going to be extreme, but you will notice a difference...

Kinda a been there, done that thing, but I bet nearly everyone on the site has at one time or another, too, especially people that have messed with wheelers for awhile. Not a bad deal for the short term, but re gearing for the tires is really the way to go. In fact, I would bet that 90% of the people that wheel, starting from a mostly stock rig, go the bigger tires first, then do the gears later. I didn't with my heap, but that was my 12th or so wheeler, too, and I knew exactly what I wanted. I also knew from experience that I was probably going to step up from 35s to 37s or larger, and had it re geared anticipating this..Even with 38s now, I am still within my power/torque/gas mileage curve, but am now on the upper end of it. 40s would shove me out of it, require major inner wheel well mods and may require an axle upgrade, but I will probably do this within the next couple of years, too as it becomes more trail, less road...I cannot go higher in my gearing due to the tires size vs ring gear thickness..they simply get too thin above 5.29s in the Yota axles....

ShutUpHippie
April 15th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Thanks! You are always so full of (good) information. No matter what, at least it'll be faster/more powerful than my Jeep :D.

I'm glad I don't have to gear it right away.. cash flow will be very small at the beginning of the summer.

Tee Hee
April 15th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Just my 2 cents but I would look for one that is as stock a possible. 35's on a stock steering system probably 1 in 5 of those has cracked the frame at the steering box mount due to the extra force needed to turn the bigger tires (x2 if it has been wheeled). And most who put a 4' lift and 35 run the stock axels so most likely 3:73 gears, it works but will prematurely wear out the tranny. I went through 2 700r4's in year running that combo.

4Runninfun
April 15th, 2009, 11:22 AM
i've never had a K5 but i had an 82 K20 (3/4 ton pickup) my truck had a 4 bolt main, 3sp with a granny, 14 bolt w/ 4.56 gears. it was a beast, and i loved it. it was really fun to drive, i towed a 23ft camper up to alaska with it. the only real complaint i had was not enough power (but when is there?) i think the factory specs said it had 160hp. pretty anemic. the only other downside i could see with a K5 would be the width. watching a K5 and a couple ram chargers get through eagle rock, and chinamans i was VERY happy to have my little 4runner. make sure you carry spare u-joints (for the drive shaft and axles) and spare axles because those are what seam to break, after all they are heavy pigs.

4Runninfun
April 15th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Just my 2 cents but I would look for one that is as stock a possible.

x2 don't buy a project someone else has started, i wish i had bought my truck stock and done things right the first time instead of trying to figure out what the monkey had done before me.

gm4x4lover
April 15th, 2009, 11:34 AM
sweet looking k5. Looks just like my 3rd one when i bought it. It had 2.5" and 33's and it was silver and grey. It will run fine for you. For the most part it will never run in the mountains in od, but it will run in drive most of the time and sometimes 2nd. How much are they asking for it?

The nice thing about the later model ones is they have strengthened the frame by the steering box. They also upgraded the size of the u-joints on the driveshafts. they best thing you can do for the tranny is swap over to a good synthetic tranny fluid (they typically will lower trans fluid temps by 30 deg and that is biggest cause of failure on the 700r4's, i run amsoil and havent had a tranny fail since and that was 4 years ago.) For the most part i keep my vehicles in tip top shape and havent had any trail failures, but it will happen sooner or later. fuel mileage will be mostly the same between lots of skinny pedel or not. best thing you can do right off the bat is buy a lunchbox locker tossed in the rear (about 250 and 2 hours), with that it will go over every thing.

Haku
April 15th, 2009, 01:06 PM
x2 don't buy a project someone else has started, i wish i had bought my truck stock and done things right the first time instead of trying to figure out what the monkey had done before me.

I concur. I have reversed or replaced nearly everything that the PO did to my Samurai. Only one thing left that they did to replace and it will be completely gone (12 inch wide rims for 9.5 inch tires:confused:....have wider tires now but not wide enough for those rims). So yeah, find the best condition stock vehicle you can for how much you can afford and do it all yourself, unless you do the research before hand and find a vehicle that has what you would do to it anyways. Even then inspect it thoroughly. Sucks finding stuff that isn't obvious from a quick walk around and test drive.

JH

Chris
April 15th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I bought my truck unmolested and there's only one down side to that.

That would be when you run into the PO and he'll say "WTF did you do to my truck!" :lol:

ShutUpHippie
April 15th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Well as that truck sits, the only thing I would want to change is the gearing. If I go check it out, what are the problems I should be looking for? (Other than the obvious stuff) I know that checking the frame near the steering box mount has been stated, anything else anyone can think of?? I am not sure it got wheeled much, but we'll see.

4Runninfun
April 15th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I concur. I have reversed or replaced nearly everything that the PO did to my Samurai. Only one thing left that they did to replace and it will be completely gone (12 inch wide rims for 9.5 inch tires:confused:JH

12.5" wide rims?!? :eek: good lord i wouldn't run those rims with anything less than a 15" wide tire. makes you wonder what the PO's train of thought was... if there even was one.:rolleyes:

gm4x4lover
April 15th, 2009, 02:56 PM
where is the blazer at?

Haku
April 15th, 2009, 03:16 PM
12.5" wide rims?!? :eek: good lord i wouldn't run those rims with anything less than a 15" wide tire. makes you wonder what the PO's train of thought was... if there even was one.:rolleyes:

No idea really. Only thought I had was that she got them for free or something. She used it more for just getting around and I know her brother supposedly worked for Phat Jeeps in Boulder when they were still around, so they might have taken them off another rig and couldn't sell em (hope thats not the case since I want to sell em when I get something new).

Definitely a cool rig you are looking at for sure. A bit big for my tastes, but thats just the kind of dude I am. Small and nimble for me thanks. Do wish I had a bit more room to carry stuff sometimes though.

JH

Brody
April 15th, 2009, 05:09 PM
I could run the 12.5s cause the last two sets of tires I have had have been either 14.50 and 15.50. You sure wouldn't want to run something smaller.

The last time I ran that wide a rim, I had a set of 16.50x36 Cepeks...

As far as buying the rig and checking things out, if you do a google search for something like "buying a used 4x4+articles" or something similiar to that, you should get to a very well written article from either Peterson's 4x4 or 4X4 and port utility. They did one last year that was really good. If I manage to find it, I will either scan and post it or shoot you the link.

Steering box/frame rail, basic under carriage stuff...loose, maintained, rusty, rattley, check the spring perches and hangers for cracks, fluids for bad smells (burnt), especially the auto tranny, check everything for leaks..some are excusable, check the zerks to see if they are clean-this would show that someone has made a token effort to keep it greased, jack the front end up and give the tires a shake-vertically-this will show whether or not the king pins (read expensive and a PITA) are in good shape, hose down the u joints with some WD40-if you get a lot of rust coming out, these are probably trashed or will soon be, check the inside of the exhaust for carbon-not a big thing, basically will tell you if it is running rich and if it has been for awhile, when you take it for a drive, hit the brakes hard with your hands just touching the wheel to see if it pulls to one side or another, take a magnet with you and see if you get any particles off of the dip stick, bring a glove and hold your hand tightly over the exhaust when it is running-many times you can hear a crappy valve this way, look or feel for grooves in the disc brake rotors...Hell...how much are you paying for this, anyway???

This will get you started and covers most of the BS

ShutUpHippie
April 15th, 2009, 08:11 PM
where is the blazer at?
Bailey, CO

ShutUpHippie
April 15th, 2009, 08:19 PM
how much are you paying for this, anyway???

He wants like $5500 o.b.o., it has a new Chevy 350 crate motor with 33,000 miles on it, 4" on 35's, new t-case seals, new dual exhaust system, new u-joints all around. I guess I don't know what to pay for something like that, :confused: I bet I could talk him down below 5k for sure. What do you guys/gals think? I will send the link that I just found:

http://nationalmotorsales.com/addetails.php?slno=3893&vtype=Truck/Van/SUV#

Thanks.

Chris
April 15th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Run a CarFax yet?

ShutUpHippie
April 15th, 2009, 08:55 PM
No sir, I guess I will.. I'll have to call him back and get the VIN. Way to look out for the buyer Chris.

Chris
April 15th, 2009, 08:58 PM
You might be able to find someone with an account, otherwise it $30 well spent. Knew someone who bought a truck with all sorts of weird issues that stumped everyone until she ran a CarFax and found it was rolled, totaled and rebuilt.

ShutUpHippie
April 15th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Wow! I will make sure and check it out. Of course this purchase will most certainly be up in the air until I can get down to Bailey and check it out.

Brody
April 16th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Not a bad price actually...do what Chris says...I forgot about the CarFax stuff..If the frame isn't bent and the tires are in decent shape, then around $5k is decent. The factory 350 is over $3k itself and is a huge selling point...

ShutUpHippie
April 16th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Well I will get that done, and hopefully get to drive it soon. I am pretty excited, I hope it works out. Thanks for all your help everyone! :cheers:

WINKY
April 16th, 2009, 02:54 PM
good luck hippie!

ShutUpHippie
April 16th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Thanks

gm4x4lover
April 16th, 2009, 08:45 PM
hope it goes well.

Roostercruiser
April 17th, 2009, 06:30 PM
thats a really nice blazer. :thunb:

ShutUpHippie
April 19th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Is anyone aware (probably you, gm4x4lover) if there is an easy way to fabricate quick-releases on the sway bar system on a blazer like this one?? Maybe you can benefit from this question as well Cowboyjarman. :wrench:

Funrover
April 19th, 2009, 02:26 PM
I have built some for a Ramcharger... really easy

ShutUpHippie
April 19th, 2009, 03:22 PM
sweet, cause I will definitely want to do that when/if I get it

Roostercruiser
April 20th, 2009, 12:27 AM
same here

gm4x4lover
April 20th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Is anyone aware (probably you, gm4x4lover) if there is an easy way to fabricate quick-releases on the sway bar system on a blazer like this one?? Maybe you can benefit from this question as well Cowboyjarman. :wrench:

Just remove it. I always have, with the stiffer springs you cant tell a difference.

ShutUpHippie
April 20th, 2009, 03:37 PM
that seems to be the general concensus

Roostercruiser
April 20th, 2009, 09:29 PM
does it give you that much more flex?

gm4x4lover
April 20th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Yea, i am at the point of needing to do the f-250 shock mounts in the front. I bottom out and stretch out the shocks in the front.

WINKY
April 20th, 2009, 10:33 PM
i took the swaybar off brutus on the front and i dont notice any difference, in fact i think it rides better! i have to remove the rear one since i twisted it....OOOPSSS

ShutUpHippie
April 20th, 2009, 10:47 PM
So, I have another question then: with 35x12.5x15s on it, should I expect some pretty bad rubbing when it's flexed? I figure either a 33" tire or a narrower tire could help that if it's a problem though, it's an easy fix. GM4x4, what are the specs on your truck??

Funrover
April 21st, 2009, 12:13 AM
does it give you that much more flex?

It's impressive what you can going on those older body GM's

gm4x4lover
April 21st, 2009, 06:45 AM
So, I have another question then: with 35x12.5x15s on it, should I expect some pretty bad rubbing when it's flexed? I figure either a 33" tire or a narrower tire could help that if it's a problem though, it's an easy fix. GM4x4, what are the specs on your truck??

I have 4" and 35's and they fit fine. I think i had to trim the very inside corners off under hard flex. I am going to do a little fender trimming and put 37's on this summer.

Brody
April 21st, 2009, 06:48 AM
You have some huge wheel wells on that, so stuffing 35s shouldn't be a problem. Where you might have clearance issues is the rear side of the front fender wells and the front side of the back ones. A little judicious fender trimming will take care of this...and no one will notice either as it will be so slight.

ShutUpHippie
April 21st, 2009, 08:47 AM
Sweet, I am driving down to Bailey Saturday if conditions permit. As long as it runs well and everything seems in good shape, I should come home with a purchase.

Roostercruiser
April 21st, 2009, 08:52 AM
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet:thunb:

4Runninfun
April 21st, 2009, 09:47 AM
sounds great! take lots of pics for us!

ShutUpHippie
April 21st, 2009, 04:06 PM
10-4

InsanityIsBorn
April 26th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Sooooooo did you buy the blazer???

Chris
April 26th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Look at the Member Rigs Poll. :D

dr350jja
May 1st, 2009, 08:03 PM
Nice looking Blazer, had it off-road yet?

Funrover
May 4th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Man that one is a beauty.. I drool a little each time I see it!

Pathrat
May 4th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Man that one is a beauty.. I drool a little each time I see it!

that is quite a sweet set up!

ShutUpHippie
May 17th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Nice looking Blazer, had it off-road yet?

Yes I have, got it up on 3 wheels a few hours after I drove it home. That's when I decided that the sway bar needed to come off!!

Sweeeet 72! That thing sure is beautiful.

colomil
May 17th, 2009, 09:08 PM
My K5 (M1009) did pretty well on the rocks today (Eagle Rock). With my 37" tires I could clear more obstacles than I first thought. I built my blazer really cheap and I have tons of spare parts in case I break something. We will have to go a a trail run one of these days and show the Toyota punks how to 'wheel! :D

ShutUpHippie
May 17th, 2009, 09:13 PM
once i learn how to wheel with this beast. that's the #1 thing that i noticed was how heavy it was on the trail.

Roostercruiser
May 19th, 2009, 12:39 PM
once i learn how to wheel with this beast. that's the #1 thing that i noticed was how heavy it was on the trail.

try running my burban its like a ship in rough seas:D

gm4x4lover
May 19th, 2009, 01:28 PM
lol just got back from the scrap yard. My burb and 20' trailer empty are 9940lbs:eek:

I had no clue they were that heavy together.

ShutUpHippie
May 21st, 2009, 03:21 PM
talk to Randy about heavy trucks, isn't his like 9000lbs??!!! :eek:

Roostercruiser
May 21st, 2009, 04:19 PM
thats with 2500LBS of lard cakes in back:D

ShutUpHippie
May 21st, 2009, 04:21 PM
*drool*

Pathrat
May 21st, 2009, 09:07 PM
thats with 2500LBS of lard cakes in back:D

You need to start throwing those out your window like it is a parade!

colomil
May 21st, 2009, 10:50 PM
Yes I have, got it up on 3 wheels a few hours after I drove it home. That's when I decided that the sway bar needed to come off!!

I pulled off my swaybar because my crossover steering would interfere. The body roll in corners is somewhat noticable but the front end does feel softer on bumps now. I would strongly recommend the crossover steering. It will eliminate the bump-steer and make the blazer much safer when hitting bumps at highway speeds.

WINKY
May 22nd, 2009, 03:39 AM
lardcake confetti!