PDA

View Full Version : new phones/computer

Roostercruiser
February 17th, 2009, 09:15 AM
i love modern technology because i got a new phone about 2 months ago and now i really dont need a computer because i have FR4x4 on my phone along with google and craigslist etc .... now when i drive to kansas and nebraska every week i can keep up with the forum. also keeps me from getting bored while driving and getting tunnel vision at night. and when im home i can play with my kids and not really be on the computer. also can watch tv and youtube on on this phone. 15 years ago phones were the size of bricks and some came with a battery case the size of a mini siutcase. and now you have the whole world in the palm of your hand and almost better picture than my tv.

how was it before beepers and cell phones and home computers? im not that old but i never or used a computer until about 7-8 yrs ago and same with cell phones. i thought it was just a fad and didnt need, now i cant live with out it. also these modern day phones can hold hundreds of hours of video that you take with your phone and better quality than any video camera that used tape. i have an entire wall of recordings in 30 minute tapes that could fit now on a little disk the size of my finger nail.

i cant imagine what the future holds long after we all gone lets say 200 yrs from now....... just a thought mmmmmmmmmmmm

Funrover
February 17th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Crazy to think of. I have not gone to the fancy phones.. I tend to break mine often.

Chris
February 17th, 2009, 09:27 AM
how was it before beepers and cell phones and home computers?

Since I'm older than most of you I recall the pre-computer days and have my first cell phone somewhere. It was analog, had a 30 mile range and looks like an army field radio.

I used the internet before there was such a thing as a browser! :D

200 years from now? I can't imagine. 20 years from now? Read The Spiritual Machine and believe what you read. Think the Matrix movie which appears to have been based on concepts in the book. I'm not a Ludite by any stretch but I'm not sad that I won't live to see the changes ahead. :D

Brody
February 17th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I know what you mean about thechnology...So does Dave Pritchett...he was programming computers and doing computer software when you still had to do it on cards...The man has a little experience as he is still in the business.

I thought I got started early with a green screen MACII....

Pathrat
February 17th, 2009, 10:45 PM
In high school, I used the black screen with the orange letters and you had to tell it to run stuff, and you used actually floppy, bendy disks for storage. I wrote school papers on it.
The first search I did was at the University of Utah libray, using the database to search for journal articles.
In 1997, I used a computer at my part time job as a social worker, to try to find resources. Queries came back with something like 8 hits. I don't know what I did at home with a computer in '98.

What about the future? I am still waiting for my flying cars and ray-guns, which were certain to hit the scene 20 years ago, according to Looney Tunes

WINKY
February 17th, 2009, 11:14 PM
it is the evolutionary advancement of technology driven by our desire to have everything and do everything all in the palm of our hand whilst being on the go.

the next step in this evolution is dna computing. a single strand of "dna" in computing has the memory capacity to hold all of the data ever transmitted since the first transmission of a digital signal. your iphone will be paper thin and have virtually unlimited computing and memory capacity and the batteries will last for years with no recharging... this is the reality science is aiming for.

working in the mobile communications sector for over 15 years i have seen leaps and bounds of tecchnology advancement.. its nice :)

WINKY
February 17th, 2009, 11:18 PM
also the reality of this technology does come with a cost that many dont know.. the majority of our technological advancements are driven by war and the road to outsmart our enemies. Your cell phone that you use daily came at a cost. I appreciate all that we have and am thoughtful of the sacrifices.

Brody
February 18th, 2009, 06:07 AM
For sure...just about everything we use as far as technology in our daily lives has been a direct result of military trickle down technology....many lives have paid for the conveniences that we take for granted nad little thought is ever given to the actual price that was paid...

The 'war of the machines' is just around the bend...does anyone actually think that a pure logic machine would put up with the bungling of a bunch of human animals for very long once it (the machine) starts thinking? I sure wouldn't if I was a logic machine. I would take one look at the absolute ineptness of the human race and decide that the world would be a better place with a bit of order...