PDA

View Full Version : Inverter Install

Chris
February 5th, 2009, 07:14 PM
I'm installing an inverter (1000 watt) under the console of my truck. It will have enough ventilation but the manual says not to use cable longer than 5 feet thus my question: can I splice the 1awg to 0awg? I'd like to put an on/off switch inside and wonder if anyone knows of a good switch source.

TIA!

WINKY
February 5th, 2009, 07:16 PM
CED (city electric distribution)

Chris
February 5th, 2009, 08:19 PM
CED (city electric distribution)

I did a search couldn't find anything, location?

Brody
February 6th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Use a regular battery cut off switch. You can get them anywhere car parts are sold and they are set up to handle big guage wire. My inverter has an on/off switch built right in. Are you going to mount yours where you can't reach it?

Shouldn't be a problem with the wire, though it isn't the best way to go. The smaller guage will act like a fusible link is all. Connecters can be found for this size wire at NAPA.

Chris
February 6th, 2009, 06:59 AM
The inverter has an on/off switch though they suggest putting one between the unit and battery too. The switch isn't a big deal, running long wires is and seems unnecessary since I have cables running to the second battery on the other side of the firewall.

scoutfam
February 6th, 2009, 09:28 PM
If you go to harbor freight tools they have a section where they sell inverters, cables, cut off swithes and all the stuff you need. I got mine there cheap. China stuff but it works well. I guess I should say that I have the inverter, 3 gallon air compressor, jack, tools, small 110v welder, and lots of straps and stuff. I hope never to use them for my rig but have on other's rigs. It is always fun to break out a welder when someone breaks a tie rod or shock mount. Not a perm soulution but it gets um home.

Chris
February 7th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Thanks for the reminder, I'll take a look. I'm not in a hurry but had the time the other day to pull my rear heater and put the inverter in its place.