PDA

View Full Version : What Happened??

Dirt Claude
January 6th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Here's a strange one for you.....

I swapped out the muffler on my wife's 98 4Runner about 3 months ago because it was rusting out. To keep things simple, I went with an aftermarket OEM setup so I could just directly bolt it in (that's a whole other story). I immediately noticed a loss of power and MPG with the new muffler on. I decided that I would eventually swap it out with something better when I had the time and money.

Fast forward to a week ago...I finally get around to swapping out the muffler and crawl under the truck to take some measurements for the new performance muffler. It appears a gorilla crawled under the truck and smashed the muffler with his hands. Keep in mind this is my wife's daily driver and sees no off-road action. After careful examination, I have determined that there are no visible impact marks on the muffler as if something smashed into it. The muffler seems very strong and rigid. When I stand on it, it doesn’t even flex or cave in. Weird!

The only thing I can think of is that it caved in on it's own. Kind of like the pop can experiment. Boil a can in water, flip it over and then it crushes itself. Could this be the same thing??

I do have to say that it was easier to justify buying the new Magnaflow, it's awesome!

- Brad

Funrover
January 6th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Impressive!

Roostercruiser
January 6th, 2009, 11:57 AM
ive seen that episode on monster Quest of the elusive muffler crushing gorilla. lol

Chris
January 6th, 2009, 12:17 PM
I will speculate there's an obstruction in there some where causing the decreased performance, mpg and ultimate demise. Cut that sucker open!

Patrolman
January 6th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Any chance the truck was rear-ended? That might be the weakest point. I have to vote for the funky pressure bit though. I agree, cut it open!

Dirt Claude
January 6th, 2009, 03:28 PM
As far as I know the truck was never rear-end, unless my wife isn't telling me something!
I agree, I think I'll slice it open and dig in.

Brody
January 6th, 2009, 04:18 PM
It is the start of an alien invasion! After they got tired of 'doing' the cows and a few humans, they are now trying the same 'invasive' techniques on the cars and trucks we drive.

This happens to be the end result.

I have never seen anything like this. It looks as though suction caused it to fold inward, where you would think an obstruction would cause it to blow outward, then split. I would also say to operate on it. We are all curious....

Pathrat
January 6th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I was showing GateMonkey the muffler and examining the pictures. The thing is creased inward at the midpoint, which to me would be one point for a pressure differential. Then GateMonkey took his soda can, created a seal, removed the pressure and of course, the can collapsed inward at the midpoint. We didn't feel like boiling a can tonight. I don't know much about mufflers, but my vote is for something along the lines of a lack of internal pressure that deformed said muffler.

This is of course only to be considered if the Bigfoot is found and he has a credible alibi.

Tye
January 7th, 2009, 02:35 PM
:confused: wtf

gm4x4lover
January 8th, 2009, 07:56 AM
a back fire can cause it as well.

5280Hawk
January 8th, 2009, 08:04 AM
were the hangars out of whack?

If the tail pipe goes straight back, she could have smacked it straight on while backing up.