PDA

View Full Version : June 21, 2008 - Adopt-a-Trail Signup

Chris
May 12th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Please post if you will show up for our 1st Adopt-a-Trail cleanup of Barbour Forks.

It's close & easy so everyone can make it with whatever you have to drive even 100% stockers! Bring a friend, spouse, SO, kids, etc

Time to give a bit back to the Forest Service. :thunb:

Post if you're in! Thanks!

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Brody
May 12th, 2008, 07:23 PM
LaDawn and I are in. Post a meeting time and place whenever it gets closer and we'll be there. Also let me know if we need more burlap bags. I gave one to everyone on the Metberry run and both Noa Noas and Kaladi Brothers are saving bags for us.

It might also be a good idea to see who has some small trailers we can use for trash and make a list of stuff to bring : leaf rakes, regular rakes, shovels, wrecking bars, crow bars, pick axes, tow straps, etc. etc. I don't know what the FS is going to want us to do, so a list will be good.

Pathrat
May 12th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I second Brody and LaDawn. I am pretty sure me and my guy are in and yes, let us know on supplies. That is two weeks after the return from southern Utah so I bet I won't be going back out of town two weeks later. I still have a rake, a pry bar, bow saw and a shovel though I live in the condo now. Just tell us who don't know how to get there when the time gets closer, thank you.

KnuckleHead
May 12th, 2008, 08:58 PM
The SO and I are in still. If need be we can put some of the trash in the back of my truck and I will dispose of it back here in town. I have straps and tarps that I can use to hold it down and in. Also have a flat shovel, rake, rope etc. Just keep me posted. I will be leaveing for Ga on June 5th and will return the 9th, so I'll check to see whats up the closer it gets.

Chris
May 13th, 2008, 07:54 AM
I'll be talking to the FS and get details as far as meeting time, what we need to provide, etc. Typically garbage bags can be filled, tossed in your truck and left at the FS office for disposal. Also shows how much was removed. Rakes & gloves and good shoes/boots are commonly all that's needed for the first cleanup. We have 3 scheduled. In my experience the first is picking up lots of beer cans and litter and planning for more extensive projects.

I'll post more details as I have them, in the meantime post up so I can tell the FS how many we'll be having for this initial effort.

:cheers:

Dirt Claude
May 16th, 2008, 09:45 AM
I've got it marked on the calendar, you can count me in. I'll be bringing the family as well, so that makes 4 big hands and 6 little hands that can pitch in.

- Brad

Chris
May 16th, 2008, 02:49 PM
We've got a good start.

Keep the names coming!

Tye
May 16th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Stella and myself are in ...

Shovel,Rake,Ax,sawsall,power inverter(750amp)

Brody
May 18th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Just a thought: As long as there is a group of us out for a trail clean up, why don't we leave the option of doing another trail in the area open after the clean up? We have Yankee Hill, Cumberland Gulch (and many more off shoots), Spring Creek, Kingston Peak, Bill Moore Lake, Elephant Hill, Mill Creek Loop all within a few miles of where we are going to be. And since this is probably the 'one day' on the the weekend that a lot of us get to play, why don't some of us make it a long day and do another run?

Chris
May 18th, 2008, 08:23 AM
I think that's a good idea but we should probably have it as a "maybe if there's time" run after we're done. Previously it was also mentioned that it may be a good time to have a leisurely picnic lunch as a way to to connect names to faces for new members.

Chris
May 23rd, 2008, 04:18 PM
Info & Update from FS

"I have it on my calendar. Lets plan on meeting at our Visitor Center in Idaho Springs at 9am on the 21st of June. Our Visitor Center is located on the south side of I-70 at exit 240 in Idaho Springs. I will have tools, equipment etc. ready and available and after a short safety talk, we can drive to the start (parking Lot) of the Barbour Fork road together.

<snip>

Please remind everyone attending that they need to wear clothing appropriate for dirty, physical work. Picking up trash, installing signs etc. This means long pants, work footwear (hiking boots or similar ok), long sleeves, sunglasses or safety glasses. If you have leather gloves please bring them, I will have a few pairs but likely not enough for the group. I will supply hardhats.

If you can give me an idea of how many are planning on attending that would help me to prepare.

<snip>

The gate on this road will be closed until around June 15th"

Chris
May 23rd, 2008, 04:20 PM
I'll be talking to Brant next week so would really like to have a solid number of how many will be there. Please post if you'll be there and haven't said so already.

Thanks!

:cheers:

Patrolman
May 23rd, 2008, 04:40 PM
Ok, did I miss the post of what trail we will be cleaning? I looked through all the messages on this thread. As far as I can tell, it must be near Idaho Springs.

Patrolman
May 23rd, 2008, 04:58 PM
I guess that I should also post the equipment I have to bring:

On-board welder
on-board air
assortment of air tools
shovels, axes, picks, rakes, hammers, etc
Winch, pullpal, straps, come along, etc
4x8 utility trailer
3500W Generator (needs tuned up)
800W runs great generator for smaller jobs
cordless drills
truck in-bed hoist for heavier items
gas pressure washer (if we have water access)

Sure there are other things not thinking of off the top of my head.

Even if I can't make it for some reason, happy to lend the stuff out.

Chris
May 23rd, 2008, 06:52 PM
It's in the other thread - Barbour Forks Road by Idaho Springs :)

I thought I'd take a drive and preview it but it's still gated. Typically the first is a general cleanup, maybe some sign posting and determination of bigger projects the next time. I'll know more after I talk to Brant. This is also his time to check us out.

Patrolman
May 23rd, 2008, 07:14 PM
Gotcha. Idaho Springs is one of my favorite towns in the state, so I won't ever turn down a chance to go hang in that area for part of a day!

SCRubicon
May 25th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Hey Chris, was Brant on the Argentine trail cleanup last year?

Pathrat
May 25th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I don't mean to be dense, but is does the sign say Idaho Springs visitor center or is it a forest service visitor's center? Sorry to be dense, but nothing is coming to mind as far as where and what it looks like.

Chris
May 25th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Hey Chris, was Brant on the Argentine trail cleanup last year?

Yes, same guy Steve. Instead of the safety talk at the trail he'll give it at his location. He'll ride with me to the trail and will probably have a seasonal worker who will ride with someone else.

I don't mean to be dense, but is does the sign say Idaho Springs visitor center or is it a forest service visitor's center? Sorry to be dense, but nothing is coming to mind as far as where and what it looks like.

I'm pretty sure it's the Forest Service office. IIRC when we did Argentine we were told we could drop our trash there. It should be pretty visible when looking for it.

Patrolman
May 25th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Um, frankly, I have been on every street in Idaho Springs, but just can't place the Forest Service Office. Is it at the "Y" near Safeway?

Chris
May 26th, 2008, 09:03 AM
I'll get precise info on his location when I talk to him this week.

Chris
May 26th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Until I talk to Brant I did a search and am pretty sure this is where we'll meet:
101 Chicago Creek Rd
Idaho Springs, CO 80452

Chris
May 26th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Going over this list I see brody, ladawn, pathrat, 85fsbronco & SO, Dirt Claude & family, Tye & Stella, and Patrolman. I'd like to see this list double to about 20 people.

Anyone else commit on the previous post that will make it?

:bow:

Pathrat
May 26th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Going over this list I see brody, ladawn, pathrat, 85fsbronco & SO, Dirt Claude & family, Tye & Stella, and Patrolman. I'd like to see this list double to about 20 people.

Anyone else commit on the previous post that will make it?

:bow:

One more with me, my SO Hugh

SCRubicon
May 26th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I'm down for it Chris. :)

Chris
May 30th, 2008, 10:04 AM
A bit of incentive just for fun I've added a giveaway to this important event. Sign up on this thread: http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2604

Please help us help the Forest Service by adding your name to the list and showing up to help. It's important that we support the Forest Service for all that they do for us!

:2thumbs:

Chris
May 30th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Here's who I have so far for our first Adopt-A-Trail event: (http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/member.php?u=112)

Admin & Barb, Brody & LaDawn, Pathrat & Hugh, 85fsbronco & SO, Dirt Claude & family, Tye & Stella, Patrolman, SCRubicon (http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/member.php?u=112)

It looks like 14 adults and 3 kids which is a good start but we need more. Remember this is a very easy way to thank and show the Forest Service that we appreciate everything they provide for us and that, as a club, we're happy to do our part.

It's one Saturday, that's not asking too much! ;)

I'm looking forward to a great turn out so please add your name!

Patrolman
May 30th, 2008, 10:42 AM
I still plan on attending. Will likely have 1 person in the truck with me. Not sure who that will be though. Wife or a buddy, but should be me+1. Since I have a truck, anything large/dirty/etc can get tossed into it. Can also bring the trailer for the same purpose.

Depending on how I feel makes a difference in how much work I can do. I still can't over work myself as I recover. More than happy to bring all the tools that I have and loan them out as needed. I am more than willing to cook up lunch if people are interested. Have a portable propane BBQ. Will have sodas, dogs, burgers, chips, etc. Will try to work out the details on lunch as we get closer!

Chris
June 3rd, 2008, 03:05 PM
Bumping this back to your attention - please look at your calendar and post if you can make it. Thanks.

Brody
June 3rd, 2008, 07:57 PM
I will ditto Chris here and also add that Chris went to a lot of work to get us to the point where we are working in conjunction with the FS. Since this is our first effort and our first ever involvement with the FS, it would certainly behoove us to have a really decent turnout. First impressions being what they are and all. With around 50+ active people on the site who all use the FS trails and roads, and who express verbally the concerns of closures of these same trails, let us make a bit of an effort here, folks, and do our part.

Since I am known for my subtle ways, I will express it so...

Let's not do the 'alligator mouth, hummingbird ass' on this, people....

Chris
June 4th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Until I talk to Brant I did a search and am pretty sure this is where we'll meet:
101 Chicago Creek Rd
Idaho Springs, CO 80452

I'm still trying to get a hold of Brant and confirm this location but I checked the other day when I was driving by Idaho Springs. It's the Mt Evans exit and can't be missed on the right side of the street, 1st building. Also recollect a sign for Forest Service Info on the highway.

Can't miss it. ;)

Chris
June 4th, 2008, 11:29 AM
I will ditto Chris here and also add that Chris went to a lot of work to get us to the point where we are working in conjunction with the FS. Since this is our first effort and our first ever involvement with the FS, it would certainly behoove us to have a really decent turnout. First impressions being what they are and all. With around 50+ active people on the site who all use the FS trails and roads, and who express verbally the concerns of closures of these same trails, let us make a bit of an effort here, folks, and do our part.

Since I am known for my subtle ways, I will express it so...

Let's not do the 'alligator mouth, hummingbird ass' on this, people....

Well said Pete! :thunb:

Obviously my subtle approach needed the more thorough and direct expression that you brought. ;)

mtnfj
June 4th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I'm 99% sure I'll be there. If there is anything I can do, since I live here, let me know. The Forest Service is just over the bridge on the way to Mt. Evans. Barbour Forks is on the road past the human stew pot, oops, I mean the hot springs. If we don't have time to wheel, anyone who wants to fly fish, let me know. I know of about 5 places within 5 minutes of Idaho Springs that are great. Late in the day is the best. We should try to contact a local restaurant to see if they'd be interested in a group discount for meals. I suggest the new bar-b-que place.It's really good. I'll stop and ask the owner if he's interested. I hope I can make it. It would be nice to see everyone again.

Chris
June 4th, 2008, 09:01 PM
It would be good to see you Joe, hope you can make it! Let is know what you find out about the bar-b-que place too. How's the snow level there these days?

Telly
June 5th, 2008, 08:38 AM
I will be there with my son. I'll bring a couple shovels, spade, rake, pick, post hole digger, chainsaw, trash bags and beer.

Doug

Chris
June 5th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Okay, I just talked to Brant Wobig with the Forest Service and am closing this to additional people, we have enough right now. The people who said they'll be there are listed here: Chris, Barb, Brody, Pathrat, Hugh, 85fsbronco & SO, Brad & family, Tye & Stella, Patrolman, SCRubicon, Telly & Joe. (http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/member.php?u=112)

Of course if other show up that's great too.

The location of the FS is as I mentioned earlier, the Mt Evans exit and the 1st building on your right. We'll meet Brandt there at 9:00 am, he'll give a safety talk and we'll head to the trail about 10 minutes away. He will ride with me, his seasonal helper will ride with someone else. If you have a CB bring it so we can communicate easily.

No tools really needed, he supplies them and garbage bags. We just need to dress appropriately - boots, leather gloves, long pants, long sleeves, and common sense stuff like sunscreen, lunch & water.

The area is a popular high school party place so there's going to be lots of beer cans and such. It's "pretty trashed" right now. That will be out initial focus and it sounds like it will be plenty to do with that alone. A couple of us will also be posting some FS signs and all equipment will be provided.

The gate will open this Friday. It's closed seasonally to motor traffic because it's an elk calving area. The trail is about a 12 mile loop with numerous branches. There's also a shooting area that's been shut down and Brant said we could spend a lifetime cleaning spent shells and targets there alone.

We'll also discuss future projects. One would be mounting Bluebird boxes before Fall and maybe even a web cam to monitor a box or two which I think would be cool. Probably the biggest project will be our second trip to haul out an abandoned vehicle that's been there for 7 years.

So we're all set for our first trip and we can make our mark by doing a good job.

Thanks to everyone who has signed up, we'll see you at the FS building on the 21st at 9:00am. :thunb:

Chris
June 17th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Check out Tye's Meeting Spot thread: http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2693

gragravar
June 17th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Check out Tye's Meeting Spot thread: http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2693

glad you've got enough people. I was feeling really guilty about not being able to make it. Thanks to everyone that can be there.

Chris
June 17th, 2008, 04:13 PM
It's cool, we might need an army of well equipped people next time after we check out the abandoned vehicle they'd like us to remove. ;)

Pathrat
June 17th, 2008, 08:09 PM
It's cool, we might need an army of well equipped people next time after we check out the abandoned vehicle they'd like us to remove. ;)

If we are going to do that, I would suggest writing and distributing a press release (I am more than happy to do an initial draft) to get out the word that people who go off-road motorized are not evil hillbilllies bent on the destruction of woodland creatures and their habitats.

Chris
June 17th, 2008, 09:30 PM
You've got the job, hope you can find an alternative to "evil hillbilllies bent on the destruction" though. :lol:

The FS has to let it sit for years before they can legally dispose of it so it should be a well rusted pile about now. We'll find out soon enough.

Pathrat
June 17th, 2008, 10:10 PM
You've got the job, hope you can find an alternative to "evil hillbilllies bent on the destruction" though. :lol:

The FS has to let it sit for years before they can legally dispose of it so it should be a well rusted pile about now. We'll find out soon enough.

What about maladjusted miscreants? That sounds all literate and educated and stuff.

I'll write it, with your input. I'd like you to come up with a few sentences I can quote, since you are The Leader Admin. If anyone has the knowledge of how you go about submitting a press release, please volunteer for duty.

Tye
June 18th, 2008, 04:54 AM
That would be a great idea, I get the "your a no good earth trasher" after a day on the trail. Maybe letting some folks know we do good deads...

Brody
June 18th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Essentially you just make a call to the local rag to the editor or person running the 'weekend/local events' section and, once you are able to contact this person, usually the hardest part, you tell them or e-mail them the idea for the story. Then, if they are interested, they will suggest that you send it in for their approval. Expect your story to get edited down and not the way you wanted. If, at this point, it actually makes it into print, you will get paid for it.

I used to write articles for newspapers and magazines and this is the way it mostly happens. I tried to get the Hayman stuff published, but the editor, who was originally really interested, never got back to me. Such is the news/publishing biz....

I would suggest that we get a lot of before and after pictures, plus the names of the FS people, plus a little commentary from the FS as regards their stance to off road use. This, of course, will have to be approved by the FS prior to any story being published. Lovely, huh?

Wouldn't hurt to do the story and submit it to any or all of the 4x magazines for the same reason, too. Again, expect massive editing, but they are concerned and you stand a better chance of it getting published.

Chris
June 20th, 2008, 06:55 PM
And I thought I was the cynic here Pete!

Been there though and you're 100&#37; right.

mtnfj
June 20th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Hey Patrolman, Take the last Idaho Springs exit (the one that goes to Mt. Evans). Turn left and go over the bridge and it's between Clear Creek and the high school.

Chris
June 20th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Yep, can't miss it - 1st building on the right.

You still in Alice Joe?

mtnfj
June 20th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Yup...can't get enough of the steep roads home, the snow, the wind, the commute, the...ok, ok ,ok, the fishing, the 4 wheeling, the sunsets... Yeah. Can't wait to see you all tomorrow.

Patrolman
June 20th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Will have 40 buns and dogs. Hope that is enough?! See you in the AM!