PDA

View Full Version : xaza's 98 ZJ 5.9L Build

xaza
July 7th, 2012, 07:00 AM
http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q595/xaza23/jeepdropin.jpg

I bought this truck a few years ago to be my daily driver. It already had a botched K&N cold air intake and 3.5" RE lift. Had to have the sun roof replaced. I then replaced water pump and harmonic balancer. Truck was running great, with a few Jeep things along the way, until a little over a year ago. I jumped in to run to gas station and immediately after starting I hear some popping and it stalled. Opened hood and started it and heard nasty sounding knock from passenger rear of block. Well K&N intake bolt broke and dropped into cylinder.

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q595/xaza23/P6221301.jpg

After a few months of saving and planning, decided to buy a rebuilt motor.
http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q595/xaza23/732254177_2612429398_0.jpg

Bored .030, Erson cam, 9:1 compression pistons, RT heads and ARP bolts. :D

Motor is installed and has a few thousand miles on it now and running great. Future modifications to come soon. In the plan is new intake manifold, throttle body, injectors, high spark ignition, full performance exhaust with true dual exhaust, SCT tune from hemifever. Am still wavering between twin turbo or supercharger, most likely supercharger running a modest 8-11 lbs boost.

Brody
July 7th, 2012, 09:11 AM
At 5,000 feet, you are looking at a more realistic 6 pounds or so of boost rather than 8-11. Still boost is boost, and it will come in just off idle all the way through the rpm range, rather than any lag time with the turbo(s) spooling up. Of the two, the super charger, IMO, is the better for a combo street/4x rig. I would go turbo(s) on a performance rig, especially if you wanted the high rpm kick.

By the time you do all the plumbing, etc for a twin turbo set up, along with all the head scratching and custom bending, etc, you could have done a bolt on supercharger and have been driving your rig around for a month....Not to mention the fact that the twin turbo set up, once it is done, will have probably set you back a few more bucks.

Just my two cents...

xaza
July 7th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Yeah truly the only reason I am considering the turbo is to be different. I am first going to get as much as I can naturally aspirated, might not even want more. Running stock tune I can jump an Audi A6 off the line.

Java
July 7th, 2012, 11:09 AM
I'd say supercharger too... what is the rest of the drivetrain going to be? That 5.9 is pretty powerful to begin with, I bet you have some other stuff planned. Looking forward to seeing the rest of this build up!!

Popsgarage
July 7th, 2012, 11:57 AM
X2 on what Pete said.

Hypoid
July 7th, 2012, 04:20 PM
I did not know the 5.9 was an anemic power plant. I vote to put the $$$ in the gas tank.

I'm no expert, but, how many forced induction engines start with a 9:1 cranking compression?

xaza
July 7th, 2012, 06:14 PM
I did not know the 5.9 was an anemic power plant. I vote to put the $$$ in the gas tank.

I'm no expert, but, how many forced induction engines start with a 9:1 cranking compression? :lmao:
Yeah I am getting about 8 mpg right now, the tune will help a lot. Trying to wait until I open up the air. The stock compression was 8.7:1, so it's not much higher and it is less than the 5.2L. Will look more into that though, thanks! Never done any forced induction so I am totally new.

xaza
July 8th, 2012, 07:01 AM
I can't find any pictures of my cv style front driveshaft that got ripped in half, found a pic online though. The old cv shaft was a major oops on Jeeps part. It did not allow for the flex the vehicle got with the 3.5 inch lift. Got a yoke off of a cherokee dana 30 and had Bill make me a new driveshaft.
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/attachments/cherokee-commander-wagoneer-liberty/7638d1299393164-95-zj-drive-shafts-lenght-front-driveshaft-1.jpg

glacierpaul
July 8th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Sweet Cliff, I voted for the supercharger. Bill's shafts are sweet!!

xaza
July 8th, 2012, 07:36 PM
This brings us to current status. So my intake manifold is leaking out the back and dripping on the exhaust and getting sucked into the cabin through A/C. The solution is to take the intake manifold off, replace gaskets and do it right this time. The engine kit was missing a gasket and we were told that it could be sealed with liquid gasket. We were warned it was very tricky and difficult to do but hey we tried! IMO there is way too much stuff that has to be removed to get the intake manifold off to just replace some gaskets. :D So I say we get this thing breathing a bit better.http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/dcc-5007398ab_w.jpg
Gotta wait a couple weeks but this should be fun.

WDoG
July 12th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Ooooo! Excited to see pics!

Popsgarage
July 12th, 2012, 10:17 PM
You're going to lose some bottom end with the single plane intake. You might be better off getting a better flowing dual plane.

xaza
July 12th, 2012, 10:53 PM
Yeah was looking for dual plane only one out there is the Hughes built Edelbrock. That may be what I go with, still have a little time to do my research...unless you maybe know?
Here is the Hughes
http://www.hughesengines.com/Tools/Utils/thumbnail.php?file=/HPCDataDir/Images/HUG5409Jan2012.jpg&maxSize=150&mode=auto

xaza
July 15th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Does anyone know where the closest dyno that can do all wheel drives is? I am considering doing a before and after to see just how much difference the intake manifold makes. Of course if I do that I have to replace the gasket first test it and then replace the manifold and re-test. :erm:

WDoG
July 15th, 2012, 10:27 AM
There is a dyno shop right off Evans and 25. Not sure if its AWD or not though. I just dry by it and see turbo'd cars parked out front a lot.

Brody
July 16th, 2012, 06:10 AM
The shop off Evans and I25 doesn't have a dyno to dyno tune anything. a guy that works at that shop (300 AUTO, 5860 E Evans, Denver, 80222: 303-300-AUTO, Brent Graves: Brent@300auto.com) came by yesterday driving a very sweet Mustang and I asked him about the dyno tuning for my heap. I would suggest calling AA Performance Muffler and Brake and talking to Scotty (3898 South Broadway Englewood, CO 80113, 303-806-8634) there as he knows places that do that since he is into racing all kinds of stuff.

AccordRanger
July 16th, 2012, 07:17 AM
I know the boost creep off of I25 and highway 66 is awd. Kind of a drive for you though.

xaza
March 14th, 2013, 07:08 PM
Boy has this thing been sitting on the back burner for a while. After tomorrow I will have pretty much recycled my tax returns back into the economy :D Still have to order the tuner which I expect I will be getting from hemifever but for now I need to seal my intake manifold gasket leak and this is the solution I came up with.

glacierpaul
March 15th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Very Nice!!! Good on you to help out the economy :)

xaza
March 18th, 2013, 09:14 PM
Even with the busy weekend we did manage to get my intake mostly installed. We came across a major hick-up that we could use some help with. The new manifold angles the fuel injectors slightly differently causing the fuel rails to be somewhat closer together. The rails are connected together with a nylon fuel line that had to be replaced with a shorter one. We have kinked 2 lines now and I am prepared to buy the tool but don't know where. Went to Autozone and the guy looked at me like I was crazy. Would prefer to borrow one if someone has it.
On to install. Had to remove alternator, A/C compressor and power steering to access manifold. Drained the coolant. Checked inside the overflow tank and had a thick layer of grey slime. Removed it and cleaned it out. After that had to remove fuel rails, throttle body and intake. Cleaned the mating surfaces after masking off open block. Remove sensors from old intake and install into new. After all brackets bolted in, sensors installed I have 1 extra hole right next to thermostat. Water temp sensor is already installed near heater hose. Will just need to get a beveled plug to seal it.
We also found what was the original cause of leak...bad RTV sealant, turned brown and crusty. I always buy high temp but wonder if something else ended up in the tool box.

xaza
March 18th, 2013, 09:24 PM
All the nipples brackets and 4 barrel adapter had to be installed into new intake. The intake air temp sensor was in the old intake new one does not have a location for it so had to move it to the air inlet tube. I did thread it in the rest of way after picture.

glacierpaul
March 19th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Looking good Cliff! Hey on the rtv sealant, I have read about the XJ's needing hood vents for the heat build up, maybe it was simply too hot even for high temp?

Java
March 19th, 2013, 07:53 AM
looks like you could eat off it. :thumb:

carpenle
March 19th, 2013, 08:59 AM
I have used this http://www.permatex.com/products/our-brands/the-right-stuff it is works great. Used on diffs, bolted together and filled with no leaks. No sure if it will help you on your intake. Thanks for the pics!

scout man
March 19th, 2013, 09:53 AM
yup, thats what I use on my diffs, and those that were present at the anniversary run know that it was very challenging to remove the cover, which I like. Although, I will admit that the largest reason I buy the stuff is because it comes in a pressurized tube, and I have problems with my hands sometimes so I like the lack of squeezing on my part.

Rick
March 19th, 2013, 10:31 AM
I have used this http://www.permatex.com/products/our...he-right-stuff it is works great.X2!!! a little more costly but worth it

xaza
March 19th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Well what happened was we ran out of sealant during install, pulled an old tube out that you couldn't even read anymore and learned a valuable lesson. You can actually see where the good sealant around was still in good shape. Sorry to confuse you Paul, this is my ZJ. The only year they put the 5.9L in the Grand Cherokee which has factory louvers. My XJ does need louvers badly absolutely right about that. Anyone have thoughts on the Nylon fuel line? We have tried lube, heat, force and all have failed. With a lot of effort we have successfully gotten the first side on twice but both times on the second side trying to get the line past the 3rd and final barb it kinks just beyond the end of barbs. I think I have found the right tool online but not sure if it will work.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RNB-800-301/

Found a few articles about making a tool but would prefer to do it right this time :D Unless someone has experience with this that could help, would feel more confident then. :wrench:

Popsgarage
March 20th, 2013, 12:36 AM
Are you pushing the fuel line over barb fittings or trying to get it back onto the factory lines? I'll have to do some research. Unfortunately, my schedule is packed full or I'd come take a look!

xaza
March 24th, 2013, 03:36 PM
So I found a much more reasonably priced nylon fuel line insertion tool at amazon.com (same tool, just cheaper) and ordered it. Should be here middle of next week.
http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-800-301-Fuel-Line-Repair/dp/B000E35W1K

Also was ordering tune but was unsure of which number off PCM to give them. Sent them an email and will order tune as soon as I hear back from them.
http://www.hemifevertuning.com/jeep_dodge_chrysler_tuners_s/31.htm

Still have not found an all wheel drive dyno to get it tuned (haven't pursued looking either) but will still need my air/fuel gauge first. Hopefully by next weekend I can have it on the road again without a nasty intake manifold leak.

Fordguy77
March 24th, 2013, 08:10 PM
http://www.carzcustom.com/dyno/dyno.htm

Is where i plan on going if i ever get the tun ordered for kateys Dakota. have heard some good things about them from a few friends, but have no personal experience I know of a few more if you want help looking.

Fordguy77
March 24th, 2013, 08:12 PM
With the hemifever order, are you getting the one that comes with 3 tunes preloaded? or just a blank tuner? I've been looking at them for a few months now, and keep meaning to pull the trigger on ordering one, but whenever i think about it, Im to lazy to go get the pcm number haha.

xaza
March 24th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Yeah I am getting the tunes with tuner. Need to go with the custom tune due to the cam, heads and pistons. One of the great things is getting lifetime tunes. If I do decide to go with forced induction I can pay for a program upgrade and then have lifetime Stage 2 tunes. I have been holding off for over a year now, ever since installation of motor. Will most definitely give an update as to how the tune works for me. Am getting about 8 miles to the gallon average right now and am hoping this will get that back up a bit. I am still on the fence about it but if I take off the lift and return to smaller tires might help too. Unbelievable!!! Less than 6 hours on a Sunday after sending an email they have responded and tuner is ordered. So far I have had several questions and have communicated with them in numerous emails and they have been incredibly helpful. I must say that to this point I highly recommend them.

xaza
March 28th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Received my tool earlier this week and my tune today. Ordered the Dorman 800-301 Fuel line insertion tool. Decent tool that does just about everything with nylon fuel lines except install them on the barbs of a fuel rail. Ended up using tool to grab nylon line without kinking it and pressed it on by hand(brother did anyway). Will need to cut off line and do one last time, only pressed kinked line the rest of way on. Held pressure fine for a test start though. Engine turned after a jump start incredibly easy. Brother put tune in tonight and said it was easy. Will have it out for a test drive after fuel line gets replaced. Hopefully work lets up this weekend, worked 11, 16 and 11 hours over last three days. 11 hours today on 2 hours sleep was rough. Had to buy a plug kit to fill one last hole in intake. Was a bit disappointed it wasn't in the kit but was easy to find.

glacierpaul
March 29th, 2013, 06:02 AM
:thumb:Nice Cliff! Awesome to have a great brother too:thumb:

xaza
March 30th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Well I attempted a test drive last night after work. Was a rather short test drive. First time hitting brakes after a solid acceleration and had no brake boost, was a bear trying stop it that way. New intake is much smaller than old kegger so a couple of hoses were a little stretched to reach. Picked up new hoses and got them on. Will test drive later and maybe get some video. The intake and tune really brought the engine to life. Seems to me I may have lost a little on the low end but she builds rpms pretty fast. I hear the 4.10 gearing on these really helps a lot too and is likely a future mod. The next step is likely going to be suspension and outset rims for a firmer stance. The 3.5 inch lift on it gives it a little bit of body roll. I am possibly thinking going stock springs with 1.75" spacers, any thoughts? This idea does force me to find control arms, sway bar links and all other stock components removed for lift because it was on truck when I bought it.

xaza
April 2nd, 2013, 06:02 PM
It is truly insane how much the tune and intake improved the upper end power. Still have stock tune in programmer and can change it back to see how much the tune itself does. Driving down Santa Fe computer is now reading 22 mpg vs 15 before. Will see what it averages out to be but I expect (if I can keep my foot out of it) it to be a bit better than the 8 it was. Tranny holding gear a little long while trying to putt around. Sent email and next day received an email containing new tune. Saved it to computer, plugged in tuner and new tune on tuner in less than 24 hours. Tuner can hold 3 tunes plus stock tune so I intend to have an economy, performance and towing tunes. I received an email from Bandimere and learned that Wednesday nights is for running vehicles. From there was able to look at Bandimere website schedule and get more information. April 24 is the first night. $10 spectator, $30 participant. Will try to plan at least a week in advance and post up in case anybody wants to come to the event. If my nephew gets back in town in time he will have his evo there too.
http://www.bandimere.com/events/day_detail.php?dayID=790&dTargetDate=04/01/2013

The plug kit we bought to plug extra hole in intake ended up not being beveled and did not seal. The coolant temp sensor was only $13 so I got one and plugged the hole with something useful (if sensor ever goes out anyway). After a little driving around I am definitely thinking gears will help a lot. It currently has stock drivetrain except the front yoke has been modified to eliminate cv front shaft and replaced with a driveshaft from Bill. I have heard 4.10 gearing on these works very well, down from 3.73 stock. I am currently running 245/75R/16 retread tires, which were every bit as tall as the 265 I took off so I think that it will help me even more. Eventually I will be going back to a smaller tire but not the 225's it started with. The front axle is a Dana 30, Rear is a Dana 44a(aluminum housing). Question 1: Will these axles hold up? Question 2: At somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 hp now, is there a good solid transfer case swap to give me 2 wd available? (with minimal fabrication), will this change question 1's answer?

xaza
April 2nd, 2013, 06:07 PM
This link actually gives a little more info for Bandimere
http://www.bandimere.com/events/event_detail.php?eventID=328&dTargetDate=04/01/2013

Popsgarage
April 2nd, 2013, 06:17 PM
Keep the 30, find a cast iron center sectioned 44 and upgrade the transfer case to a plain ol' 231 and upgrade that to the wide chain and giver!!!!!!!!!!! Burn outs in two wheel and lock it in to 4hi and have fun.

xaza
April 2nd, 2013, 06:22 PM
If I go to a cast 44 can I move my posi over to it? Possibly axle shafts if the spline doesn't match. What is a good donor vehicle for a Dana 44 with coil spring perches and disk brakes? Another ZJ maybe?

glacierpaul
April 3rd, 2013, 06:25 AM
Cliff, Bandimere would be fun, have not been there in years. Especially if you are racing :) Edit: full size Jeeps may have what you need, just not mine :)

xaza
April 3rd, 2013, 07:26 PM
Yeah I know to stay away from the Rubicon 44's. I think I will just get them geared for now and see how they hold up. Still looking for possible ways to upgrade so when the time comes I can know which way I want to go. The auto tranny is really helping to prevent them from taking a hard launch, plus motor doesn't really stroke until about 2500 rpm. As for now I have some maintenance issues to deal with. Had to drive truck to work today and on way home realized A/C wasn't working so rolled down windows and the exhaust leak right under my door became a very annoying sound. Had to re-charge A/C last year but it obviously leaked out. Prolly just find a shop to leak check, repair and charge it for me...eventually. I might have an excuse to get my exhaust done and wifey wants a louder muffler for her truck and already likes the idea of using my old muffler.

Popsgarage
April 4th, 2013, 12:22 AM
What is a good donor vehicle for a Dana 44 with coil spring perches and disk brakes?

Wranglers and/or Craigslist or have Mike(Hypoid) tell ya when he finds one during a yard run, usually out of a Cherokee. Converting to coils is fairly straight forward if you find a Cherokee 44.

If I go to a cast 44 can I move my posi over to it?

Mike can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there are to many differences for it to swap over.

Hypoid
April 6th, 2013, 08:42 AM
I don't know how I got to be an expert. There are a lot of people on this board who can tell me a thing or two about a thing or two. ;)

I never looked too hard at the D-44A. I read that it was a different critter, noticed that it is a c-clip axle and moved on. Now that I see how much extra work, or extra money it takes to put disc brakes on a drum axle, I'll be looking at WJ brakes again.

Hypoid
April 6th, 2013, 09:30 PM
noticed that it is a c-clip axle and moved on I take that back, maybe... I looked at one today that was missing a shaft. The diff cover was still bolted up. The one in the picture was a 2000, the '98s look different.

A couple guys sent me a link to an SRT forum a few months ago. I'll get that posted so you can see what other people are thrashing on the street.

Hypoid
April 7th, 2013, 09:09 AM
A couple guys sent me a link to an SRT forum a few months ago. I'll get that posted so you can see what other people are thrashing on the street.The site is a little more inclusive than I remembered. I skimmed through a handfull of builds, only one person changed out an axle. There were a few who swapped the T-case for a 242.

http://thespeedfreaks.net/index.php?

xaza
April 7th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Yeah I've been on that forum before. Went ahead and registered and bookmarked, thanks Mike.

mattzj98
April 8th, 2013, 05:16 PM
JUST STROKE IT!

xaza
April 8th, 2013, 06:41 PM
I do plan on stroking the motor I pulled out, possibly for a tube crawler. That is a project that is still way outside the budget, not to mention beyond what I will do without a garage. It will be interesting to compare the dyno runs on the two. Have you put your truck on a dyno? or even know where a good all wheel dyno is?

mattzj98
April 8th, 2013, 08:24 PM
Sure have! there's a good one here in Douglas County, I'm not sure its awd though, I was rwd at the time

xaza
April 8th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Well I burned through my first tank of gas already. Got 243 miles on 20.44 gallons, 11.88 mpg average, about a 4 mpg increase. Was a lot more highway driving than usual so we'll see when the driving conditions are the same, ie up and down wobblefe... I mean Santa Fe.

mattzj98
April 8th, 2013, 10:28 PM
Douglas County Diesel, I check all my trucks in there.. decent. People there too

xaza
April 8th, 2013, 10:31 PM
You just remove driveshaft when you took yours in? What'd it run? stroked to 408, right?

mattzj98
April 9th, 2013, 03:13 PM
I have an Advanced Adapters Tcase so I dont have awd.. and yeah. 408 I don't remember the exact number, dont know where i put the slip.. might have to go again this year.. it was near mid 3 digits though

xaza
May 12th, 2013, 10:38 PM
Kinda short notice but am hoping to be running Wed night at Bandimere. Event starts at 4 pm close staging lanes at 8:45. Won't be there until around 6 unless I can get off work early. Will give it a run or 2 on stock tune, then reload tune to see how much difference there is. I just have to check all fluids and plugs and finish fixing the air intake tube over next couple nights.

glacierpaul
May 13th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Nice Cliff, if you make it good luck!

xaza
May 13th, 2013, 09:32 PM
Finally got around to fixing intake tube from where previous owner had tightened it down with clamp until it crushed tube. I had wrapped it with foil tape to at least make it functional but functional is just not good enough for very long. I simply cut crushed end off and put filter back on. There are 2 different size clamps on intake, they had swapped them. Checked under hood fluids and am looking good to go this week.

mattzj98
May 14th, 2013, 05:20 AM
Good luck on the track!

xaza
July 11th, 2013, 07:25 PM
I found an AWD dyno place not far from my house that I am going to be checking out this weekend. Carz Performance off Colfax and Wadsworth in Lakewood. They also are a vendor for different turbo and superchargers :tisktisk:

Jim
July 11th, 2013, 07:55 PM
It'd be sweet if their AWD dyno would be able to tell differential axle rotation - so that you could fine-tune your air pressure front/rear for 1:1 axle rotation.

Fordguy77
July 11th, 2013, 08:20 PM
Glad your trying carz out, I think I mentioned it in the thread earlier, let me know how it goes.

xaza
July 13th, 2013, 06:10 PM
I happened across some Edelbrock headers, new unused. Quite a treat because they stopped making them but they are great headers. They arrive next week and hopefully will get them on before running on dyno. Had to work today so missed out on stopping by Carz and Truck & Jeep Fest. Next step will be to complete the exhaust the rest of the way out. Found a guy that machines stock throttle body to 52mm that I want to get. After exhaust and TB I will be ready for another trip to Bandimere. Will get pics as soon as I can.

glacierpaul
July 14th, 2013, 06:27 AM
Cool Cliff!

xaza
July 18th, 2013, 06:02 AM
My headers came in. Did some searching on the model #, Edelbrock 6604, and found it is for a 92-97 5.2L. Doing a little more research it appears the 5.2L and 5.9L stock gaskets and manifolds are the same. The inside welds are ugly and stick way out, at least an 1/8 to 1/4 inch and would certainly restrict airflow. I was wondering, should I grind them back to smooth? They are new and unused but would Edelbrock do anything being bought second hand especially a discontinued model? Pictures!

glacierpaul
July 18th, 2013, 06:18 AM
I would grind them smooth. Is your ?? about Edelbrock swapping them for another set now, or after you grind them and there is a prob?

xaza
July 18th, 2013, 06:36 AM
Since they don't make them anymore I am likely just on my own but yeah I was thinking along the lines of issues down road.

Rick
July 18th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Is your ?? about Edelbrock swapping them for another set nowgive em a call...the answer is always no until you ask..If its no then i would grind em down.

Popsgarage
July 18th, 2013, 06:07 PM
If you want 'em a bit smoother, hit 'em with a die grinder. But I'll bet with all the money and resources Edelbrock probably spent on R and D, more than likely they far out-performed factory manifolds so it's probably not necessary.

Hypoid
July 18th, 2013, 06:30 PM
The inside welds are ugly and stick way out, at least an 1/8 to 1/4 inchIf they protrude above the face of the flange, leave them alone.

xaza
August 14th, 2013, 06:49 AM
Finally got some time to work on the truck. Took out the stock throttle body and installed a modified stock one. Has been bored out to 52mm. We also started removal of exhaust. The manifolds came off super easy but on the cat we ended up cutting y pipe to remove. slight miscalculation in cut and we ended up cutting it twice. The clamp on cat was pinched down so tight we didn't foresee being able to pull the pipe out. Hopefully tonight we will get new exhaust in. Did a little video of how truck sounded before, will see if it is a difference the camcorder can hear. Going to take headers to exhaust shop and get a professional opinion and possibly pay them to grind out and re weld. Once this project is complete I will be ready to take to dyno and then Bandimere.

xaza
August 18th, 2013, 09:31 PM
I decided since it is going to cost quite a bit of time and money to get the headers bored out it would be a good idea to make sure they fit. Put them in with old gaskets for now and fitted together y-pipe. Stuck an old muffler off Wylie's truck into end of y pipe for now and started to burn off the shipping paint. Going to save some money by sand blasting(walnut shells) headers ourselves and then have them tig welded around outside of tube. After they are welded we will grind out ourselves. Pics so far.

xaza
August 29th, 2013, 08:44 PM
Still working on getting a good tune before I hit the dyno, should be hitting Bandimere in next few weeks if plans go well. I am working with Hemifever tuning to get tune. As of late there is supposedly to be a much better tuner out there (according to a group of race heavy guys) but I want to give a solid chance to Sean. Will keep things updated and let y'all know what night is race night.

xaza
September 8th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Turns out when we installed exhaust it got pushed back and is vibrating against gas tank skid. Sounds like a good excuse to take it to exhaust shop and have a performance cat and muffler installed but it'll wait until after dyno run that should happen this week while on my mini vacation. Going to change gaskets and run it. Looking like Sept 18 will be the night to take it back to the track.

Popsgarage
September 8th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Here's the exhaust. Buy yourself a direct fit cat or however many are required from Summit and then take it to the shop and have them build the Y pipe to cat sections. Much cheaper then what they charge for the parts.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-640000/overview/make/jeep/model/grand-cherokee (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-640000/overview/make/jeep/model/grand-cherokee)

xaza
September 9th, 2013, 10:58 AM
I don't want to do it myself because I am entertaining the idea of changing to a dual exhaust and the guy my brother got his exhaust from is close, cheap and does good work. He knows his stuff and my brother recommends him. Thanks though Jon. Set appointment for tomorrow to get 3 pulls on dyno. Uber excited...anyone have any guesses to what it'll push?

Popsgarage
September 9th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Dual's would make finding a bolt on kit a bit harder.

xaza
September 10th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Got to dyno and have some real problems to work out. Max hp was under 190, max torque around 226. Talked to engine builder and they claim my Hughes intake manifold and 52mm throttle body are choking down engine and he believes it should have around 300 hp at the wheels. Offered to bore out stock manifold for $75 if I send it to him and he recommends a 55mm throttle body that his sales guy is supposed to call me back about. Was still a fun experience and think I should probably follow his recommendations and if it still doesn't perform as advertised go from there. Got a video, loud tires.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUU2e8eQC7Hn0WItmNAT2qbA&v=ryMnfKlbNe8& feature=player_detailpage

Hypoid
June 15th, 2014, 08:50 AM
This looks fun... :D

http://naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=246115445&postcount=3726

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx33/o-gauge-steamer/6Pack_zps5a166171.jpg

xaza
July 3rd, 2014, 10:42 PM
don't know how I missed this for so long Mike, sorry. Those are pretty cool but I am certain my throttle body is producing plenty of fuel/air. I am entertaining the idea and doing my research on building a water meth kit. It is right up my alley for piping, pumps and such. With my tuner being able to hold 3 tunes and my data logger (not finished installing yet) I think I can take good advantage of the timing advances with the cam. Still need to figure out what injectors I want to use. Guys at Speedfreaks.net are pretty good and have been learning from their experiences. Sooo close to completing my first 2 builds and getting anxious and trying not to put us in the poor house. This is a link to the system I would be mocking.
http://www.213wheelsandtires.com/product/Snow-Performance-Stage-3-Challenger-Charger-Boost-Cooler-Water-Methanol-Injection-Kit?dr=1&make=40&model=751&year=1978
Boost juice can be mixed at home and adjusted to needs. Anybody have experience with water meth?

xaza
September 30th, 2014, 07:17 PM
I finally went and got my exhaust replaced. Muffler was getting holes and it was time to open up some flow. Took it to the same guy that did our Cherokee's. Ended up scrapping the dual exhaust idea for now, but after hearing the way it sounds, I may ditch that idea entirely. When I pulled in and revved it a little my wife said the walls in kitchen were rattling. Upgraded to a 3" from the header down tubes out with a high flow muffler and cat. He also welded in the bung for installing my data logger, hopefully will get it done before it gets too cold.

xaza
September 30th, 2014, 07:19 PM
This weekend I should be getting something off my shelf that has been waiting patiently, 42K volt ignition coil to allow more plug gap and consistent spark at higher RPM.

Brad
October 1st, 2014, 06:28 AM
Very nice cliff!

theluke19
October 1st, 2014, 10:03 AM
Looks like the exhaust fella did some good work. Where'd you take it to have that done?

xaza
October 1st, 2014, 04:33 PM
AA Performance Exhaust off Broadway and Hampden.
http://www.aaperformancemuffler.com/

xaza
January 11th, 2015, 07:33 AM
A few weeks back I hit the gas a little hard in a left turn and heard a pop from the rear end of truck as it went through the dip. Did some digging and found some excess play in output of t-case. Picked up a bearing and seal kit and rebuilt t-case. The fluid was gray that we took out, which only had a few thousand miles since last flush and fill. Noise was improved but there was still a clunk. It was only when the passenger rear tire hits a bump then. Drove it forward and backward over a board to determine the movement seemed to be coming from axle. Lifted truck and passenger side had some excess play in it. Picked up a replacement bearing and seal and got them replaced yesterday but still have to fill and drive it. Hopefully this resolves this issue but it is apparent that my drive train is not going to hold up for long unless I baby the hell out of it. Need to make it through some big bills coming up but the plan is to have transmission rebuilt (Detroit Transmissions likely) with better clutch packs and TC. Going to drop tire size back down and have 4.10 gears put in. Not sure we want to tackle this task on our own due to the amount of time it took to do Wylie's axles and this being my daily driver. Will determine when that time comes. If anybody happens across a 5.9L ZJ in a pull yard or just a killer deal on a 46RE transmission please let me know. Would prefer to take a different tranny in to be rebuilt so my down time is less than a day to swap it out. If one shows up in a yard I will even take a day off work to strip it clean

gm4x4lover
January 11th, 2015, 08:47 AM
Did you ever run it at bandi?

xaza
January 11th, 2015, 10:26 AM
Yeah I made it out once 2 years ago. Progress has been slow due to focus on XJ and now trailer. Still running the re-tread tires which hurts but since that run we upgraded throttle body to 52mm, Eddy Headers, custom 3" exhaust with high flow cat and muffler and the 42,000 volt ignition coil. I am hoping to get drive train down by this summer to make another run. I am hoping for low 15's. Through work I met one of the CSP cops that drives at Bandimere on test and tune nights so next trip up I will likely run with the CSP Charger. Here is thread with pics and times.
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?19096-Bandimere-Results

Hypoid
January 11th, 2015, 08:32 PM
If anybody happens across a 5.9L ZJ in a pull yard or just a killer deal on a 46RE transmission please let me know.I'll be posting in the junkyard thread soon... :)

xaza
October 4th, 2017, 02:32 PM
Oh my how the time flies. ZJ is getting some much needed love. Over the last year I have been accumulating a few parts, the time is finally here to start installing. Headlight housings were pretty fogged up, got them replaced with some new clear ones. We collected stock lower control arms and trac bar from the JY to remove lift. It's a new experience, never taken a truck down to stock height before. Ordered new shocks and coil springs all the way around and a polyurethane bushing kit for control arms, trac bars, and sway bars. Added in some new sway bar end links and all new steering bars and rod ends. Got started a bit last weekend but fought with some rusty bolts and didn't get as much accomplished as I wanted, hopefully will still have it done this weekend. Have an oil leak to track down and add to the list now. Rear is complete except for a shock I was waiting on which showed up today.

JandDGreens
October 5th, 2017, 08:26 AM
AA Performance Exhaust off Broadway and Hampden.
http://www.aaperformancemuffler.com/

They do excellent work for sure!!!

xaza
October 18th, 2017, 04:00 PM
Managed to finish up suspension. When taking apart front we found a bad ball joint and ripped cv boot on passenger side. Replaced CV axle and all 4 ball joints. Got it all back together and setting on some new tires. Went to smaller tire, 235/70/R16 Hankook Dynapro, but is still about a half inch taller and half inch wider than stock tire. Tires fit nice and looks like I will have no clearance issues. The variable rate springs we installed are designed for handling heavier loads so truck should not sag when loaded also. Got the alignment done on Monday and this weekend should be finishing up the little other small things. The truck is handling the road much better now. Body roll has been reduced tremendously, corners more comparable to a car now. Bumps are handled much smoother and throttle is noticeably more responsive. I expect a pretty good increase in mileage too, time will tell. Replaced windshield because it had a crack, tape is off truck now but still in one of the pictures.

xaza
October 18th, 2017, 04:06 PM
While waiting for ball joints and cv axle we set truck on ground and took some pictures with old tires for a comparison.

Java
October 19th, 2017, 10:03 AM
looks great! you're going to love the Hankooks in the snow and ice, they're almost like snow tires. :thumb: