PDA

View Full Version : Jeep TJ Brake Dust Shield Removal

Beefy
June 14th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Took the Jeep to work yesterday while the tints were getting done on the truck and noticed that my dust shield on the front driver's side brakes is rattling. It's driving me absolutely nuts. Every little bump makes the damn thing rattle. It's loose and the passenger side is not. How does this thing come off? I haven't looked at it too close yet, but I'm tempted to cut it off with a Dremel if I have to.

Rob
June 14th, 2012, 09:31 PM
I know it comes off the 40. But I need Chris around to remind me to put it back on. :rolleyes:

Might have to take the wheel and hub off to get to it.

Beefy
June 14th, 2012, 09:42 PM
I know it comes off the 40. But I need Chris around to remind me to put it back on. :rolleyes:

Might have to take the wheel and hub off to get to it.

Ick. If possible, I'd rather just cut it off.

Hypoid
June 14th, 2012, 09:59 PM
I would want to know why it is loose, before deciding on a course of action.

Beefy
June 14th, 2012, 10:00 PM
I would want to know why it is loose, before deciding on a course of action.

Wheeling. Started happening after my latest Spring Creek run. It rained while we were on the trail and rocks started banging into everything...

Hypoid
June 14th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Is it broken where the unit bearing holds it to the knuckle, or is the unit bearing seperating from the knuckle?

BTW, the parts manual calls it a splash shield. I'd replace one if it were broken.

Beefy
June 14th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Is it broken where the unit bearing holds it to the knuckle, or is the unit bearing seperating from the knuckle?

BTW, the parts manual calls it a splash shield. I'd replace one if it were broken.

Haven't looked close enough yet. I hit the shield with my hand and it just bounced around. Nothing else seemed loose. The passenger side is not like this.

The Jeep is not my DD. I could replace it at some point, but it wouldn't be very high on my list at the moment as it doesn't seem very critical.

Popsgarage
June 14th, 2012, 11:05 PM
X2 on what Mike said. It serves a definite purpose. Keeps rocks and debris from getting stuck between the rotor and knuckle. I'd check as to why it came loose. It's sandwiched between the unit bearing and the knuckle. The unit bearing could be coming loose just enough to cause it to rattle. Better to be safe then sorry.

Beefy
June 14th, 2012, 11:19 PM
Any suggestions for how to check for further issues that could be causing this?

Popsgarage
June 14th, 2012, 11:28 PM
Jack the affected side up and push and pull against the top of the wheel. If it moves excessively, chances are the unit bearing is loose for some reason. If it doesn't, it's possible the splash shield is just broken. I'd still get it fixed either way.

Hypoid
June 15th, 2012, 03:43 AM
Any suggestions for how to check for further issues that could be causing this?Remove the lugnuts and wheel.
Remover the caliper bolts and slide the caliper off the rotor. Use a wire coat hanger to hold the caliper out of the way.
Slide the brake rotor off the wheel studs.

At this point, you are looking at the Unit bearing. It should be held tight against the knuckle by three bolts that come through the back.

Beefy
June 15th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Just jacked it up and checked. No movement at all. Actually, Pete and I just took it all apart not to long ago to check the bearing and it checked out okay.

Beefy
June 15th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Now that I look closer it doesn't seem loose. Seems like something is stuck behind it. Between the rotor and shield.

Beefy
June 15th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Must've been bent very slightly or something. I bent it away from the rotor a very small amount and it no longer rattles when I hit it. Weird.

Popsgarage
June 16th, 2012, 02:26 AM
You probably bent it ever so slightly when you were checking the bearings and caused it to rub the rotor.

Brody
June 16th, 2012, 05:47 AM
Standard practice on Yotas is to simple remove the dust shield all the way, either by cutting it off or using a brake shield replacement spacer. at any rate, you still need the width of the brake shield for caliper clearance. Doesn't seem to be a big thing with Jeeps as you don't see too many posts about it.

Glad it was just some garbage and nothing critical! Sure makes some noise, though!

Beefy
June 16th, 2012, 10:43 AM
I feel better now that it's back to all of the "normal" noises. :D:lmao:

Serious Offroad
June 16th, 2012, 11:50 AM
I yank them off all the time without any ill effects at all.

Hypoid
June 16th, 2012, 11:59 AM
That is good to know, Frank.

If the rotors warp, is it because they are on the cheap side?

Beefy
June 16th, 2012, 12:03 PM
I yank them off all the time without any ill effects at all.

Thanks. If I continue to have problems/noises coming from them, they will definitely be coming off.

Serious Offroad
June 16th, 2012, 12:12 PM
I remove them because a bent shield can ruin a rotor in no time flat. I've seen rotors get pretty chewed up from rocks getting between the shield and the rotor as well.