PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump test.

AccordRanger
April 3rd, 2012, 04:31 PM
Hey guys i removed the fuel pump on my ranger to see if it actually works, which I found out it does.
Before I put it back in is there any way I can test the pressure out of the truck? It needs some fuel lines replaced before I can check it on the truck.

Brody
April 3rd, 2012, 04:43 PM
Easier to test on the vehicle from the schrader valve on the fuel rail, but you may be able to modify this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-injection-pump-tester-92699.html

to work. There are some threads on the internet I found by simple Googling "testing a fuel pump for pressure out of the vehicle" although almost all of them deal with the pump installed. If you do test it out of the vehicle, check the voltage to the pump from your power source as a lot of the newer pumps are very sensitive to the voltage.

Hope this helps. When I tested mine, I cheated, ran the + to it, grounded it, it shot gas about 8'. I called it good enough and reinstalled it. No problems...I figured with a SC and oversized injectors, if that wasn't enough gas, something else was the issue. I also wasn't checking it for pressure, just to see if it worked and to clean the filter.......

2000Durango
April 22nd, 2012, 01:04 AM
you need to test it whyle it is sitting in fuel the gas helps cool the motor, on fords there is a fuel pump cut off switch usually in the kick pannel it is a red little button that can become set off check the owners manual for the actual location it is designed to pop and shut off the fuel pump if you get in a accdent!!