PDA

View Full Version : Dual Batteries and a winch

Java
February 19th, 2012, 03:29 PM
I'm planning on putting dual batteries and a winch onto my Jeep, and that is the extent of my knowledge. I know I don't need two batteries to winch. My goal, aside from winching, is for camping- I want to be able to plug my power inverter into the power outlet on my dash (I can already do that much) and run some lights at night, charge my phone and camera, and run Mr. Coffee in the morning, kill one battery at the most, then start the Jeep on the other one and let the dead one recharge while I drive around. Probably a basic use... can anyone tell me how to do it, the simpler the better? Pretend you're talking to an idiot...

GaryG
February 19th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Not a cheap endeavor, 2 yellow top optimas @ $190 and then the kit to install. Benchmark Designs (http://www.benchmarkdesigns.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=87) has been reviewed as the best many times. Their kit runs $435. I've considered it but always think the tag along jumper thing is a bit cheaper.

ccbruin
February 19th, 2012, 03:51 PM
First of all you need a dual battery tray. What seems popular is a red top and a yellow top. You also need some sort of isolator/switch. I like this one (http://www.quadratec.com/products/17004_200.htm) I am looking to do this on my rig, but it can get pretty expensive. What i did was google dual battery TJ and a bunch of stuff comes up. A lot of info and examples. If you have any questions i can try and answer them for ya

GaryG
February 19th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Duh, your not a JK, my bad

Java
February 19th, 2012, 04:00 PM
that kinda sucks. what if I just brought a seperate battery for camping and ran it down on lights and the coffee maker... I can mount a box for it in the back of the Jeep to hold it safely, and run power from my dash outlet to it... is there a safe and good way to charge it up like that?

Robert B
February 19th, 2012, 04:28 PM
its not that bad depending how much motor compartment spcae you have........... should just take 20-30 (guessing here so might be more) bucks for some cable and probably 100-bucks or so for a nice isolator........... thats all it really needs besides mounting the extra battery and isolator ...once i get the money for a battery and islator i will be doing this ...........and now that i think on it might be more like 50 bucks for nice heavy duty cable.

heres a price comparison for online buy ing ...http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-2273-130-amp-dual-2-battery-transpo-isolator-2-130.aspx

Jim
February 19th, 2012, 08:45 PM
You might find this thread of interest:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/dual-battery-isolated-batteries-winch-welding-1231432/

But before I click submit on the post with a JF link, I'd better do a FR4x4 search... Bingo - you might find some things here of use:
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/googleSearch.php?sitesearch=frontrange4x4.com&q=dual+battery&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

EDIT: If you're looking for a second / isolated battery for camping use, you might consider one of those battery "jump start" items. Charge it at home or via the power outlet in the jeep, disconnect from main battery, use it for accessories (portable - move near or in the tent / where you are) and maybe re-charge from the jeep if needed.

Again, simple - if the portable jump start units aren't long lasting enough - a marine (deep cycle) battery in a plastic (portable) battery box. Charge it at home and it'll likely make it through a week of use. Jumper cables and running engine to re-charge at the campsite (if even needed). Perhaps one of those solar chargers would work well to re-charge during the day.

Chris
February 19th, 2012, 09:35 PM
If you're looking for a second / isolated battery for camping use, you might consider one of those battery "jump start" items. Charge it at home or via the power outlet in the jeep, disconnect from main battery, use it for accessories (portable - move near or in the tent / where you are) and maybe re-charge from the jeep if needed.

I'm curious to test the one I picked up to see how it works in our popup. I figure the minimal use it will gets makes it a good choice. If not I already know that it works great if you do something like leave your headlights on all day. :p

4Runninfun
February 19th, 2012, 10:45 PM
If you go to www.expeditionportal.com/forum and do a search over there you will find tons of write-ups on dual batt's from the budget build to the fancy-schmancy high dollar computer controlled versions. I think it's a good idea to run 2 batt in the back country nothing like being out and about and find all the sudden you have a dead batt. I will be doing this myself in the future.

Brody
February 20th, 2012, 05:58 AM
Do the KISS on the dual batteries. DO NOT get brain damage (or wallet damage) doing something like the Painless dual battery set up. Been there, done that. Tried to sort that out, got PO'd, sold it to Chris, he got PO'd and sold or gave it to someone else. A simple isolator will work. A simple solenoid with an on/off switch will also work .Right now I am running dual batteries tied together with a simple set of cables and have been running them like that for most of the time I have had my rig.

Get the cable at a welding supply house. They sell them by the foot. Only thing is that both are black, but red tape sorts that out really easily.

Java
February 20th, 2012, 06:26 AM
I'd love to do it for less, ofcourse!! Do you have a good source for that stuff?

Brody
February 20th, 2012, 07:05 AM
General Air Service and Supply is a good source for the battery cable as they sell it by the foot.

I have used these guys before for terminal ends and pass through bulkhead connectors:

http://www.electerm.com/battery.html

And I have also used Summit Racing for much the same:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Brand/ACCEL/Product-Line/ACCEL-Battery-Cable-Terminals/

Using an after market split charging system with duals;

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/73865-Dual-battery-setup

Bone simple and cost effective:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/dual_battery/my_dual_battery_setup.htm

And another along the same lines:

http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?t=2295&f=76

The last two are winners in my book due to the very basic KISS principle application and is about what I have used on 90% of all my dual battery set ups, though years ago, I simply wired in a Ford style solenoid instead of the nicer switch. That switch is available at most of the auto parts stores, but isn't of the marine style...

Java
February 20th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Again, simple - if the portable jump start units aren't long lasting enough - a marine (deep cycle) battery in a plastic (portable) battery box. Charge it at home and it'll likely make it through a week of use. Jumper cables and running engine to re-charge at the campsite (if even needed). Perhaps one of those solar chargers would work well to re-charge during the day.

This. Easiest option so far. I think I can buy a nice big deep cycle battery from the recycler on 44th and Kipling for under $50.00; a 15 watt solar panel for the campsite, a set of jumper cables, and a basic battery charger for home for under $100.00 at HF, no tech involved. thanks, Jim!!

Popsgarage
February 25th, 2012, 12:20 AM
All you really need is somewhere to mount the second battery and to purchase and install an isolator. The isolator separates the accessories battery from the starting battery and allows for the two batteries to charge separately. I'm currently running this ones big brother. And then just do what Pete suggested about the cable.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWM-903/

Java
February 25th, 2012, 06:26 AM
I found, in my garage, a wheelchair battery I had forgotten about. It's almost the same size as a regular vehicle battery and can be cycled, I have an inverter and I just ordered a small low wattage coffee maker and a solar charger with a charge controller, I'll get out of the whole deal for about $50.00. Throw in a set of jumper cables and I can jumpstart my Jeep, or charge the battery from it. You and Pete have trucks with lots of room under the hood to play with, lucky ducks. I looked under the hood of my Jeep and it's not impossible at all to do two batteries, but there's no clear spot to mount one. Lots of companies have trays for dual batteries I can buy, some have complete kits for a 2nd battery, I may still do it down the road. Then I have to buy two gel cells as well as the isolator, tray, wiring, etc... all so I can make coffee in the morning when I camp. :)

Brody
February 25th, 2012, 07:16 AM
X2 on the lack of room under the Jeep hood. I have many pieces of flesh attached to various sharp things scattered around under Robyn's hood. We were looking at the spot for the duals yesterday and agreeing how tight it was going to be!

Hypoid
February 25th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Is the wheelchair battery a gel cell? Maybe pick up one of those marine battery boxes, to keep everything tidy in the storage area.

Java
February 25th, 2012, 08:02 AM
I have a large ammo can that I may try to mount the battery, controller and converter in with the charger on top, I just have to see it all together first to see if it'll actually work. It says not to charge it in a sealed container, so I'll vent the can (the converter would prefer it anyway). The battery says not to totally discharge it, but it is designed for charging / draining in wheel chairs, and the solar charger should keep it topped. If it works out I'll leave it in my yard year round to keep it topped off. It is a sealed lead acid battery, here's some pics:

Java
February 26th, 2012, 06:15 AM
It makes coffee!! :thumb:

Jim
February 26th, 2012, 08:08 AM
LOL - fantastic!

You going to use that battery every morning for coffee to see how many brewings it will produce w/o a re-charge?

ccbruin
February 26th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Do the KISS on the dual batteries. DO NOT get brain damage (or wallet damage) doing something like the Painless dual battery set up. Been there, done that. Tried to sort that out, got PO'd, sold it to Chris, he got PO'd and sold or gave it to someone else. A simple isolator will work. A simple solenoid with an on/off switch will also work .Right now I am running dual batteries tied together with a simple set of cables and have been running them like that for most of the time I have had my rig.

Get the cable at a welding supply house. They sell them by the foot. Only thing is that both are black, but red tape sorts that out really easily.

I am a little confused on what the isolator does. So it isolates the two battery but allows them both to be charged at the same time. So in theory, the two batteries are not "connected" or working together?

Hypoid
February 26th, 2012, 10:54 AM
I am a little confused on what the isolator does. So it isolates the two battery but allows them both to be charged at the same time. So in theory, the two batteries are not "connected" or working together?
That is correct, the batteries are isolated from each other. If one battery is dead, when the two are electrically connected, the dead one will drop the voltage available to the starter. A good isolater will charge the vehicle battery first, then manage the the charge on the auxillary.

If you parallel the batteries like Pete does, you double the storage capacity, but also double the recharge time when you start driving. Hopefully, your alternator has the duty cycle for this use. If you manage to drain both batteries, and you have EFI, you are pretty well pooched.

Java
February 26th, 2012, 10:55 AM
LOL - fantastic!

You going to use that battery every morning for coffee to see how many brewings it will produce w/o a re-charge?

Science!! That is exactly what I'm doing. :thumb: