PDA

View Full Version : how to kill a SM465

Robert B
December 26th, 2011, 07:28 PM
so i can kill a sm465 the "bulletproof" granny gear 4 speed by shifting from reverse to 2nd gear in the back yard on a random day...... :) i lost 3rd 4th and reverse after this but it still seemed to move fine in 1st and 2nd..... pop the shiter out the top and look in there and it all looks fine other than the plunger is all the way across all 3 shift rails......wasnt sure iif normal or not but okay.........try to move it into its "hole" so i can move the 3/4 and reverse rails but it wont go into its "hole".......after fighting to move it waith a screwdriver finally get it in the hole and i can move the shift rails fine with a tiny screwdriver (my shifter is like 2 feet ling plus) ....but i let the plunger back out and it blocks the 3/4 and reverse shift rails from moving...........arg........... so after cutting a hole in the floor since for some reason chevy stopped bolting this panel down and i cant drop the tranny cause the crossover exhaust that is rusted there forever..........then get he top cover off and everything looks good and nice so go to the junkyard and get another top plate....(easy to get to since the floor unbolted off the 73 2WD truck we found) ......take it home and hey look there is a clip to hold the plunger in its "hole" and looking at my plunger see that the clip sheared off and it is still in the groove in the plunger.........so stuff my new magnet into the case still full of gear oil and find the clip a little bent but looks fine minus the fact the center part is gone and still in my plunger.........WTF!!!!!!!!! all mine and my dads probs and work for a bloody 15 cent clip!!!! so get the junkyard top cover and and hey it works great :D oh and yes we tore this all down ON christmas day woohoo!!

Popsgarage
December 26th, 2011, 08:53 PM
You should have taken a battery operated Sawzall to the yard and pulled a bolt down panel. when you get some time, swing by the house and I've got part of a trans tunnel out of an older Chevy. You can use it to mark you floor to drill it for the bolt down tunnel top.

Popsgarage
December 27th, 2011, 12:07 AM
Here's a couple of lousy pics. I'll get some more tomorrow if I've got a minute.

Brody
December 27th, 2011, 05:02 AM
Nice to see that it was a cheap fix! Most tranny issues aren't!

I like all the Grace Ice and Water Shield on the floor. Stuff works great! I just finished grabbing another partial roll out of the trash roll off at the end of the street...

glacierpaul
December 27th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Tranny work...on Christmas? You guy's rock!:thumb: