PDA

View Full Version : "#10" 84 4runner

Fordguy77
August 24th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Tonight i was delivered my newest project. Its the 10th vehicle i currently own, and do not have a name for it yet, so its simply being called #10. It is a 1984 Toyota 4runner. It has the 22R and 5 speed. Currently has a shackle lift however that is in the planning stages for change. It has the weber 32/36 carb conversion and seems to be running pretty good. It needs a timing chain cover and front oil seal, as well as some carb tuning.Plans are already on the drawing board and near completion. It came with a heap of parts and a few more in the works. This will be a down and dirty build and should be a lot lower and easier on the budget than the FJ60 restomod would be right now. This is going to be a dedicated trail rig, but still worthy of DDing when its wrapped up.
Pics...

Heather
August 24th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Sweet!!! Number Ten clearly has buttloads of potential!

mattzj98
August 24th, 2011, 09:22 PM
I love those old Yotas, they are cool. Seem to go for ever. One thing, that tcase always seems pretty low.. any fixes for that? maybe its just me lol

Fordguy77
August 24th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Current Drawing Board :blah:

Suspension Plans
-63" Chevys In The Rear
-Hybrid Leaf pack made up of Stock Rears and a Few Others

Drive train
-Rebuild Front and Rear Axles
-Regear to 4.88
-Locked Rear
-New Syncros/Bushins For Transmission
-Dual T-Case First Factory Second 4.7s
-Fix Leaks And Run The 22R Till It Dies
-Valve Adjustment

Interior
-Remove Carpet Apply Some Form of Bedliner For When The Tops Off And Suffer
-Make a Removeable Insulation/Carpet Kit For Winter
-Either Custom Make Some Trim or Find OEM Trim Panels For Rear
- Second Gen Front Seats

Exterior
-Finish Cleaning Up The Body
-Repaint White

Armor
-Trani/Tcase Skid
-Sliders
-Custom Bumpers

Overall a pretty typical 4runner build, but its tried and true, and yields good results.

Fordguy77
August 24th, 2011, 09:30 PM
I love those old Yotas, they are cool. Seem to go for ever. One thing, that tcase always seems pretty low.. any fixes for that? maybe its just me lol

Skids or i believe there's a kit to rotate them a few degrees. Considering some of the rigs ive had with older Np235s it seems pretty high up there haha.

mattzj98
August 24th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Skids are good! :thumb:

Rob
August 24th, 2011, 10:16 PM
its simply being called #10

:thumb:

So which of your rigs is No. 2? :lmao:

And where do you park 10 vehicles?

Fordguy77
August 24th, 2011, 10:20 PM
:thumb:

So which of your rigs is No. 2? :lmao:

And where do you park 10 vehicles?
Hmm id think it would have to be the 70 F100 haha
Storage for 10 rigs
My house(i have a long driveway so Front To Back)
77 F150
72 Bronco
79 Bronco
The FJ60 And Focus Rotate On The Street Driveway
And then my dads superduty is on the driveway too. Extracab long bed f350.

Then Kateys house has the
Explorer and 4runner

And Grandma and Grandpa Have
The 72 Plymouth, F100 and Ranger

Rob
August 24th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Any more vehicles and you're going to need more relatives. :)

Fordguy77
August 24th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Any more vehicles and you're going to need more relatives. :)

Yup! and thats still not even going into parts storage either! haha i have a lot of junk, But i like my junk! Hopefully getting this house i bid on last night! Lots o room for junk, but i lowballed it so its probably a fail!

mattzj98
August 24th, 2011, 10:26 PM
hope you get the house!

Fordguy77
August 24th, 2011, 10:30 PM
hope you get the house!

Me too! Its a pretty sweet set up! Oversized 4 car garage with rv parking and a 15x40 shed behind the garage. with a 2000 square foot remodeled ranch on a 1/2 acre with plenty o rooms for my dogs! In lakewood near belmar park!

mattzj98
August 24th, 2011, 10:35 PM
oh so that's where i go to work on my jeep now..

Fordguy77
August 24th, 2011, 10:38 PM
oh so that's where i go to work on my jeep now..

We can only hope!

mattzj98
August 24th, 2011, 10:41 PM
well keep us posted! :thumb:

Haku
August 25th, 2011, 12:16 AM
T-case wise, there isn't much room to move it upwards without either cutting the tranny tunnel out and raising it or doing a body lift. The "clocked" ones you see do so with the dual t-case adapters. Getting a flat belly is a bit of a project, but I hear its definitely worth doing and I'm planning on doing so over the winter myself.

Welcome to the Mini-truck club. Let us know if you need any help with stuff. Sounds like you could have a pretty badass place to work on it here soon.

Josh

Brody
August 25th, 2011, 05:42 AM
Nice! I guess that Clint couldn't fit the rest of the junk he was going to try to drop off in the rig. He said it was packed with 'stuff'.

glacierpaul
August 25th, 2011, 05:45 AM
And I thought I had a "fleet" of vehicles......

Fordguy77
August 25th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Nice! I guess that Clint couldn't fit the rest of the junk he was going to try to drop off in the rig. He said it was packed with 'stuff'.

It was packed alright I don't even know how he got everythin in there! It took me an hour just to unload it all. It came witht eh asin carb, extra front cross member, fj60 leafs, 4 31x10.5s, old all pro front bumper, half doors, turn markers, factory extra vacuum nonsense, extra console, and some more stuff I'm forgettin. also has a few more parts coming for it.

Mporter
August 25th, 2011, 11:40 AM
I look forward to this build.

EldoradoFJ60
August 25th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Paint it with some sort of arctic camo pattern. like something you'd find in Norway or Sweden.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randite/216978388/

KnuckleHead
August 25th, 2011, 08:00 PM
looks good

Fordguy77
August 25th, 2011, 10:11 PM
This weekend im planning to hit up the junk yard to find a some 63" Chevy leaf springs, i am hoping to find the ones off a 4x4 as they are a 4 leaf, and are supposed to handle a little better than the 3 leaf on the 2x4. Also making up some parts for the rear conversion at work tomorrow. :D

foxtrot
August 25th, 2011, 10:13 PM
nice, gonna be a good build. only thing I would recommend adding to the list, is maybe an EFI conversion? I know getting stuck on an obstacle, and having to back down it to start the truck again is a pain, but you can always just see how it does with the carb first.

Fordguy77
August 25th, 2011, 10:16 PM
nice, gonna be a good build. only thing I would recommend adding to the list, is maybe an EFI conversion? I know getting stuck on an obstacle, and having to back down it to start the truck again is a pain, but you can always just see how it does with the carb first.
Ive been kicking it around and i decided to see how the carb does first. The power gain is so little to me its not even worth it unless i need to do it cause the carb wont hold its own.

Roostercruiser
August 26th, 2011, 02:34 AM
I think you need a big barn.not a garage

Brody
August 26th, 2011, 05:38 AM
You might not be overly pleased with the carb set up on the Yota, especially if you want to make it a trail rig. Switching to EFI or a Weber may be a good alternative. Keep in mind that if you go to EFI, you will also have to source an EFI gas tank.

If you go with the 4 leaf Chevy springs, keep in mind that all the articles and link I posted say to move the rear spring perches back 4". Location of the front hangers in all the links is right and centers the wheel in the rear opening. Moving the rear spring hangers back 4" as suggested will put your shackles dead vertical and you will want them canted back towards the rear a bit. Take a little time to establish where the rears should go. You can stop by and use my heap as a reference if you want, any time.

Also, if you use the 4 leaf spring packs, you will find that you lose a lot of flex mainly because the 4 leaf is an overload spring. Cut off the 4th leaf about 4-5 inches behind the rear spring perch and you will retain all the flex (a lot, BTW) and the front part of the overloads will act as an anti wrap.

Fordguy77
August 26th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Thanks for the info pete.
This 4runner has already been converted over to the weber 32/36. And I'm goin with the 4 leafs with a cut overload because I've read a lot on the web about the 3 leaf bein too soft. And thanks I might swing by and check it out.

Brody
August 26th, 2011, 06:35 AM
Feel free to use the truck for a reference any time. We don't have to be home. The neighbors as well as LaDawn are used to people coming by and taking measurements. Both my neighbor Aaron and Adam have done this...

The Weber is a better off road carb than the Aisen. Why, I don't exactly know. It is also a pretty expensive one. You may have good luck with it.

Does this already have the power steering? I know Clint was selling a PS setup for $30 which is dirt cheap and would be well worth the $$.

Fordguy77
August 26th, 2011, 06:41 AM
It does have power steering on it, but there's no belt on it and I haven't checked to see if there's fluid or if it works. I did find a random belt in the 4runner so I was goin to see if it fits this weekend. But I also picked up the ifs pump and box that clint had listed for sale and was goin to rebuild it and use it for when I do cross over steering in a few weeks.

Clint Z
August 26th, 2011, 10:09 AM
The 22r they put in needs a different crank pulley. The PS pump does not line up right. You could also space the pump out.

Fordguy77
August 26th, 2011, 10:59 AM
The 22r they put in needs a different crank pulley. The PS pump does not line up right. You could also space the pump out.

Thanks! That's good to know! When I go to do the timing chain cover next weekend ill replace the crank pully with the right one.

Clint Z
August 26th, 2011, 02:27 PM
I have a W56 and top shift t-case for sale. $100 each or $150 for the pair.

I also have an EFI tank If you go that route.

Patrolman
August 26th, 2011, 07:00 PM
hey, it does have the SR5 gauges which is a cool find alone! Nice rig and hope you land your new place!

Fordguy77
August 27th, 2011, 07:02 PM
I had some extra bed liner spray paint laying around so i decided to get the the fenders and wheel wells cleaned up. I also painted and tested the front bumper so i can see what mods i need to do to make it fit properly. Also got the new driver side fender painted and ready to install. As well as picked up some OME stock springs for the front off CL for a decent price to help out the ride a bit.

Clint Z
August 28th, 2011, 05:59 AM
I am glad the truck went to someone who will use it. I sounds like you have a plan. Looks goo so far!

Clint

Fordguy77
August 28th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Didnt make it to the junkyard this weekend but i am shooting for sometime this week. Anyone know if you can bring a cordless sawzall into the You Pull And Pay? I did manage to finish up kateys explorer and its back on the road good as new!
And while browsing on kateys laptop i came across an open window for a receipt for these! :D
I better go get the chevy leafs soon!

RidgeRunner
August 28th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Nice! I love the chevys on the rear of mine!

Clint Z
August 28th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Awesome. Don't you love it when your better half suprises you with car parts!

Mine has been doing it for 16 yrs. They are keepers!

Clint

Chris
August 28th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Didnt make it to the junkyard this weekend but i am shooting for sometime this week. Anyone know if you can bring a cordless sawzall into the You Pull And Pay?

I know you can at Pull N Save, they even have some tools you can rent.

Newb Tourist
August 28th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Oh man that is one of my fav body styles! Is that a solid axle setup? Sorry if already asked, could not find it... I myself have owned an '85, '89 and '91, really preferred the '91 for EFI!!! edit: all pick-ups, not 4Runners...

Fordguy77
August 28th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Oh man that is one of my fav body styles! Is that a solid axle setup? Sorry if already asked, could not find it... I myself have owned an '85, '89 and '91, really preferred the '91 for EFI!!! edit: all pick-ups, not 4Runners...
It is a solid axle up front, its the factory solid axle though. They went to the IFS on the pickups and 4runners in 86, otherwise mines identical from the dash forward as your 85 was.

Fordguy77
September 3rd, 2011, 09:54 AM
You have to love youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qUKUkTivHU

Haku
September 3rd, 2011, 12:36 PM
Its definitely not that easy the first time (or the second or third I'm guessing). They forgot to mention all of the grounding wires, vacuum tubes, wire connections, exhaust, and lots of other little things. hahaa...I wouldn't expect it to go that easily. That said, Scotty at Addicted said there is a dude in Greeley who can have an engine pulled, rebuilt, and back in the truck running in the same day (assuming no major machining is needed). It was my first engine thing so it took about 150 times longer for me, but that includes waiting for parts and machining to be done.

Still, I suppose as motors go its not so bad. Definitely harder to put back in, and having skinny arms definitely helps too (the two top tranny bolts are a pain and I literally can't fit my arms and hands in down there). Its a pretty tight engine bay though, so it can be a bit of pain in that way.

It is definitely doable to replace all the gaskets and such with the engine in the truck

Two things to note for ya if you do pull it.

1) Break the pulley bolt before you pull the engine out, as its a pain to do it on the stand.

2) There is one allen headed bolt that holds the intake on that is very easy to strip out, so be gentle. I ended up having to drill it out and get a new one. Its the one that you can barely see and you can't get any normal allen key in, so hopefully you have a long set or a set of allen sockets.

Fordguy77
September 3rd, 2011, 03:33 PM
Well the good news is my motor is carbed so that elemented a lot of wires. And has been partially desmoged so there's not much on the vacuum side of life, especially with the weber carb vs the asin. That being side i started today at noon, took an hour break from 2-3 and this is where I'm at.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk

Fordguy77
September 3rd, 2011, 03:38 PM
The pics didnt take to many as there isnt much being removed at the moment, but here is the motor coming out of the truck! total pull time <2hours!

Fordguy77
September 3rd, 2011, 03:41 PM
That said, Scotty at Addicted said there is a dude in Greeley who can have an engine pulled, rebuilt, and back in the truck running in the same day (assuming no major machining is needed).
Id believe it, especially with access to a lift and having all the tools ready to go, I have a very basic tool setup at kateys house so there is some improvising when it comes to getting things done, but i could defiantly see pulling this motor in less than an hour complete with the right tools ready to go. If i had a longer extension i could of saved 20min trying to get the top 2 bell housing bolts a 1/4 turn at a time. Off to get the flywheel off and the motor up on the engine stand!

Haku
September 3rd, 2011, 03:44 PM
Sweet...you are faster then I was. I couldn't get the bolts off the exaust manifold lower section, so I just left it in the truck.

I guess I know who to call next time I need to pull my motor :D

Fordguy77
September 3rd, 2011, 03:48 PM
Sweet...you are faster then I was. I couldn't get the bolts off the exaust manifold lower section, so I just left it in the truck.

I guess I know who to call next time I need to pull my motor :D

My lack of tools is defiantly made up in my extensions and universal set with my cordless impact haha. Its also like the 100th motor i have ever pulled in my life too, so that helps.

Fordguy77
September 3rd, 2011, 08:46 PM
I ended up taking more time to get the flywheel off than it did for me to pull the motor! Only because i had to wait for katey to get home to hold the second breaker bar to break them damn flywheel bolts. It fit surprisingly well on my engine stand. The one i am using is a 1200# rated one that i normally use for the big block fords. Its funny looking at the stand because it dosent even look like it knows it has an engine on it. The 460s and such give it a lil bend in the upright, and with the little 22r it sits like it would empty! After that i finished up the day by cleaning out a corner and setting up shop in kateys garage.

Fordguy77
September 3rd, 2011, 08:53 PM
I also picked up some stock replacement OME front leafs to replace these lovely inverted ones for $50 of CL. Still need to get some stock shackles for the front though. Anyone have a set?

Brody
September 4th, 2011, 07:29 AM
ClintZ mentioned that he had of (stock??) shackles for the 60 still. Might PM him and see what he actually has. Chris may also have a set buried in his garage somewhere off of his old rig. PM him, too. Also Bruce, EldoradoFJ, may have stashed his.

EldoradoFJ60
September 4th, 2011, 07:39 AM
ClintZ mentioned that he had of (stock??) shackles for the 60 still. Might PM him and see what he actually has. Chris may also have a set buried in his garage somewhere off of his old rig. PM him, too. Also Bruce, EldoradoFJ, may have stashed his.

Clint got my old springs and shackles. So if Chris has the springs Clint probably still has the shackles. They probably won't work though since the springs are different widths. The 4Runner has those offset shackles.

Brody
September 4th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Chris

Stop by the house. I have a box of shackles for Yotas-pick ups and 4Runners-and see if you can use anything I have. I am here all day.

Fordguy77
September 17th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I got around to getting the head off today, and it was making a odd "knock" that seemed to becoming from the valve train, and I have came to the conclusion that it was a bent #1 exhaust valve, as I can visually see its bent without even having it removed yet, and there is 0 seal on it which would explain why #1 had such poor compression and quick bleed off!

Cr33p3r
September 18th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Chris did you ever get the Ranger done? I have not seen anything on it in a long time.

Fordguy77
September 18th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Chris did you ever get the Ranger done? I have not seen anything on it in a long time.

No I have not, I've been working 6/10s since I came back from wheatland wyoming and haven't had too much time to get to the ranger. The motor is 100% complete and in the truck, and I've got a 31 spline 8.8 tore apart gettin rebuilt with a cut and turned dana 35 up front, which is supposed to help with the weird angle my springs were sitting at as well as add a boat load of travel and make it a smoother ride. It seems like the reason I'm gettin anythin done on the 4runner is its located closer to home so its easier for me to get over after work and give it a little time. If all goes well ill have most the major stuff done with the runner this month, the ranger on the road next month and the 77 done for christmas.

Fordguy77
September 18th, 2011, 04:57 PM
I started getting the lil 22r all cleaned up and painted today, and will be dropping the head off at the machine shop tomorrow for a rebuild and possible some new valves and such. I'm hoping to get the head back this week and have the motor back together by the weekend to drop her back in. Then it will be onto getting the suspension straightened out as well as trans/tcase rebuild, and then it should be set for a while.

Clint Z
September 19th, 2011, 09:39 AM
There is a guy selling a fresh rebuilt 22r head on rising sun 4x4 for $150.

Clint

Clint Z
September 19th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Sorry, 22re head

Fordguy77
October 23rd, 2011, 08:53 PM
Its been a while since i updated this thread. I have managed to get the front leafs swapped, but i still need to do get some stock shackles for the front of modify the ones i have to bring the front end back down. I also started my roll on $60 Rustoleum paint job. I even got the head back and the motor 90% reassembled. And went and found some 63" chevy leafs or the rear.
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/321250_130211487081039_100002765659365_107980_1138 196484_n.jpg
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/299139_130211517081036_100002765659365_107981_7430 16995_n.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-aQzchlINx-I/ToUU8ROUjdI/AAAAAAAAAH4/EHvTQoVspFY/s800/IMAG0057.jpg
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/320713_130222263746628_100002765659365_108010_3021 31800_n.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-k3o3veB4oRI/ToUVLiiTbAI/AAAAAAAAAIA/TBhiF0r9NH0/s800/IMAG0060.jpg
[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-4qT_TR3Pzlc/ToUVTz16RRI/AAAAAAAAAIE/PL55wGYXhtY/s800/IMAG0061.jpg[/img

Fordguy77
October 23rd, 2011, 08:57 PM
The above pic of the 4runner only shows one new spring installed. It does sit even with both installed i promise. And more pics.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-CMtgdfcbsl4/ToUTpYSscWI/AAAAAAAAAHQ/IgvUmBIBUzQ/s800/IMAG0048.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-LrLsaecj9vg/TphRYFpAFFI/AAAAAAAAAJU/tgImioXOszM/s720/IMAG0009.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ee_fCCjvPEs/TphQ_gE6myI/AAAAAAAAAJE/YU2QlfUpFkQ/s720/IMAG0011.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-3ZutZ7yM_WM/TphRMAZ6w3I/AAAAAAAAAJM/U6NVtwFuSZk/s720/IMAG0010.jpg

Rob
October 23rd, 2011, 09:30 PM
Lookin' good. It's getting there. :thumb:

Heather
October 23rd, 2011, 09:32 PM
Love it! Hopefully you'll be ready to come out and play on the trails in a few months!

Popsgarage
October 24th, 2011, 12:11 AM
Is the red coming out 'cause of some weird backlighting or is that some kind of weird glow red black paint, Chris? Lookin' good, by the way!:thumb:

Brody
October 24th, 2011, 06:16 AM
Looks nice, Chris!

I don't think stock shackles are going to work on the front to lower it. I have a mess of them, so stop by and see.

Also, if you do the Chevy spring swap, locate the front hangers just like all of the directions and links that I stuck here say to: http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?8745-TOYOYA-INFORMATION-AND-LINKS/page3 Post#17, then pretty much ignore the part where it says to relocate the rear hanger 4" back. At least on mine, when I did the rear mounts, using this information, my shackles hung straight down or canted a bit towards the front. I cut off and rewelded the mounts (again) and they ended up only about 3/8"s farther back than the stock location to get the right angle. What I would do is to leave the stock hangers in place, temp your shackles in, then see where they set with weight on them. You may or may not have to do anything at all.

I hope that this saves you some grief!

SNOWMAN
October 24th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Lookin Good! I'm glad I don't have to do motor work on the 85 I picked up.... yet at least.

Fordguy77
October 24th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Lookin Good! I'm glad I don't have to do motor work on the 85 I picked up.... yet at least.
Thanks! Well i could probably have gotten away with out doing 90% percent of what i did. Ive probably got around $400 tied up in the motor. Half of that is in the steel backed timing set and the oil pump alone. And about $50 in gaskets and misc things, and a $150 in a awesome head rebuild. So for the peace of mind and no leaks in the motor and realistically around 12 hours of work i am glad i did it. And this is just to bide some time until my Ford drivetrain is ready to drop in. My biggest issue with both the Landcruiser and the 4runner is the lack of torque and power.

Rob
October 24th, 2011, 10:22 PM
My biggest issue with the Landcruiser is the lack of torque and power.

The 2F has more power when it's pushing a little 40. ;)

Fordguy77
October 25th, 2011, 10:21 AM
The 2F has more power when it's pushing a little 40. ;)

Thats understandable, it is a lot lighter. I imagine if my 2F was 100% fresh it might be a little better to deal with, but having switched from big block fords with stupid low torque to a 2F with OK low torque it just leaves me wanting it seems.

Fordguy77
October 25th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Today i decided that it would be a good idea to pull the transmission out and get it all clean before i button it up. So i got the transmission pulled and kinda cleaned. You can at least see there is metal under the grease now. I was running short on time and i ran out of quarters. Then installed the 22R back in its home. And then decided that i would lay in the rain and snow and get the transmission installed. She went in like a beaut and even managed to get the rear drive-shaft re installed. Still need to go get some stock shackles as the lit shackles that are on it now are standing at 90* or so. And the front is sitting much higher than the back, it got a little better with the motor in, but still looks like ****. Dont forget to check out my awesome front drive-shaft. Pics

Mporter
October 25th, 2011, 11:53 PM
I didn't know you were making it into a lowrider :thumb:

Fordguy77
October 28th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Well as of today i have now heard the motor run. Its still missing an exhaust, throttle linkage, thermostat, radiator fan, and an air cleaner and such. But it does run now which is a great! Please excuse the poor revs and video quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZe1ukfGe48

Popsgarage
October 28th, 2011, 06:30 PM
You can at least see there is metal under the grease now. I was running short on time and i ran out of quarters.

Do you use a de-greaser before you wash stuff like that, Chris? I usually go to the dollar store and buy a few cans of oven cleaner and soak whatever I'm power washing when I leave the house and by the time I get there it's already turning to sludge. Saves money in quarters as well. Lookin' and soundin' good.

Beefy
October 28th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Nice!! Running is good. :D

Fordguy77
October 28th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Do you use a de-greaser before you wash stuff like that, Chris? I usually go to the dollar store and buy a few cans of oven cleaner and soak whatever I'm power washing when I leave the house and by the time I get there it's already turning to sludge. Saves money in quarters as well. Lookin' and soundin' good.

It was a spur of the moment idea, seeing as how there were only 8 bolts holding it and the cross-member in place, and i used the whole 3/4 of a can that i had. Im fond of the Engine brite low end degreaser not the gel one.

Popsgarage
October 28th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Try the oven cleaner. It rocks.:thumb:

Brody
October 29th, 2011, 06:28 AM
X2 on the Oven Cleaner. Works really well for headers and any exhaust stuff you have to clean and then paint, too. Anything that is that evil when you get it on your skin really does the deed. Also works really well for the baked on grease on trannies and T cases, too.

Popsgarage
October 29th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Got that right, Pete!

Michael4rnr
October 29th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Looks really good. Going to be an awesom rig when its done.

Cr33p3r
October 30th, 2011, 02:37 AM
Looks really good Chris, glad to see its coming along, so what parts are you waiting on now for the Ranger? More engine parts?

Fordguy77
November 29th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Well a little bit of an update. It is running. I am having a few issues getting the timing set just right, and for some reason am having a hell of a time getting the idle to adjust where it should. Ill get it set and everything is good then all of a sudden, it hits high idle and wont come down. Its got a weber on it but i believe it is the kind that is mean to be tied into the cooling system for choke control. Hopefully going to try that this weekend and see where it gets me. Planning on a 2 or 2.5in body lift at the moment, with the 63" chevys out back and the rears up front. Need to hit the junkyard for some parts though. Should get around to tweakin some of it this week i hope. I am also hoping to flat bottom, or get close to it by raising the drive-train slightly. Any one have some suggestions?

Brody
November 29th, 2011, 05:17 PM
With a 2" body lift and an after market T case mount like Front Range Fabrication, or Marlin offers, you will get really close. About the only other thing is to get a clockable T case mount which will let you 'clock' the case another 10 degrees or so. The Yotas are fairly flexible when it comes to trying to flat bottom one and don't require jumping through too many hoops. With the 2" lift, you won't even have to mess with the tranny tunnel.

Bud Built offer a nice T case mount that can be set up to raise the tranny so that it is almost a flat bottom:

http://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/nfoscomm/catalog/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=e90627936bdcd510563eab65d6611bca

I have the Front Range Fab non clockable mount and skid combo on my heap and with a 2" body lift, I would have been able to flat bottom mine when I welded in the mounting brackets. :

http://www.budbuilt.com/new/cross_members.html

Here are some Weber carb links that may help:

http://www.yotatech.com/f116/weber-carb-problems-86-pickup-215177/

http://www.yotatech.com/f116/22r-carb-weber-38-a-140940/

This may help sort out where some of the original Aisen carb crap was attached before the Weber:

http://www.bluebassdesign.com/boonin/carb_faq/

More Weber:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=343862

This site should help a lot:

http://redlineweber.com/html/Tech/Table_of_contents.htm

Popsgarage
November 29th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Good to hear it's runnin' Chris! Sucks to hear it's not runnin' as well as it should, though. You'll get it there.

Fordguy77
December 15th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Im on my way to pick up a 89 EFI 5.0L from the springs :thumb:

RidgeRunner
December 15th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Im on my way to pick up a 89 EFI 5.0L from the springs :thumb:

Nice! I'm looking at options for motor swaps now. Gonna be a while before I do it though. A 5.0 would be cool.

Fordguy77
December 15th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Nice! I'm looking at options for motor swaps now. Gonna be a while before I do it though. A 5.0 would be cool.

This is going to be a ways out for me as well. Its going to be bench built with the transmission and such. Its a monster in comparison to the little 22r.

Fordguy77
December 15th, 2011, 08:20 PM
So here are a few pics of the 5.0L Ford i picked up. Its out of a 89 Bronco, and looks like it has seen some serious wear and tear. This is on the back burner for a while, and is going to get bench built off on the side while we do some other things to The 4runner. I plan on doing a cheap JY MAF conversion to get it going to support mods. Good thing is it doesn't take too much.

Clint Z
December 22nd, 2011, 11:02 AM
Sweet,
Did you get the computer with it? That is the same engine I need to go pick up for mine along with the 351!

Fordguy77
December 27th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Sweet,
Did you get the computer with it? That is the same engine I need to go pick up for mine along with the 351!

No computer but i already picked up the lower intake of a mustang and am going to convert it to MAF instead of Speed Density MAP

Clint Z
December 27th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Cool. I am wanting to do the same thing.

Fordguy77
June 9th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Well i finally got around to ordering a 2" BL for the runner that should be here sometime in the next weeks. As well as a Frame Reinforcement kit from Scotty at Addicted Offroad for when i go to straighten the frame out a bit. I have had a set of Chevy 63"s for a while now, as well as the 63" Chevy swap kit from Ruff Stuff. I am coming home sometime this week for a 6 week break, then its back up to Green River for another 10 weeks of 7/12s. I am hoping to Finish my ranger finally and get to install all my new parts onto the 4runner while i am home. But only time will tell if anything actually gets done.

Fordguy77
June 14th, 2012, 11:42 AM
These came in the mail yesterday! I just got home. Time to get to work. The 4runner is going further backwards than it is forward. But im sure you will all like it.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/--G_y0Qljwgc/T9ofCJfnWJI/AAAAAAAAAVM/C6aacSgH9Jk/s798/IMAG0001.jpeg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-RF0kbM-lsxU/T9ofB9u7VPI/AAAAAAAAAVI/LO1raALGHS4/s479/IMAG0002.jpeg

Popsgarage
June 14th, 2012, 11:12 PM
RuffStuff to the rescue?????

Fordguy77
June 15th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Yup, as far as the spring kit goes. The BL is from 4crawler or somethin of the sort. I've been a big fan and user of ruffstuff for the last 3 years or so it seems. They make excellent products and have great prices. And on top of that their customer service when they make a mistake or an issue, is unreal. They jump through the firey hoops of death itself to make things right. I received my parts yesterday missing one set of shackles, and after 2 emails(they wanted to know what size shackle I was missing) I received a shipping notice first thing this morning

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Popsgarage
June 16th, 2012, 02:35 AM
I've been a big fan and user of ruffstuff for the last 3 years or so it seems. They make excellent products and have great prices. And on top of that their customer service when they make a mistake or an issue, is unreal. They jump through the firey hoops of death itself to make things right.

Amen to that, Christopher.

Brody
June 16th, 2012, 06:28 AM
These came in the mail yesterday! I just got home. Time to get to work. The 4runner is going further backwards than it is forward. But im sure you will all like it.

Watch the rear spring hanger location on the 63" Chevy swap. It isn't quite what all the information leads you to believe. Almost everything mentions "moving the rear spring shackle/spring mount back 4"". Not true in all cases. All of the posts/threads/links locate the front hanger correctly. If I can make a suggestion:

Locate the front mounts as per directions. Locate the springs on the hangers (see note) after the axle is under the rig and install the bushing, hanger and shackle. Let the frame come down onto the hanger, watching the shackle angle. Let the whole weight of the rig settle onto the hanger, then tack it in place. Unweight and then reweight the rig to double check the shackle angle, then weld it up. On mine, the rear mounts ended up being only about 1" or so back from where the factory originals were. I ended up cutting the first try off (joyful) because I followed the thread directions.

Note: These springs (63") require spacer blocks. Rather than simply install the standard lift blocks (not a good idea on 4xs) I took some 2 1/2"x2 1/2" 1/4" steel stock (same as the receiver hitch stock) and welded a block to the existing spring hangers. I also drilled 3 9/16" holes in that to allow for better adjustment if I needed to move the axle forward or backward. This has worked fine on either axle that I run under my heap...

Hope this saves a little grief!

FischerFab
June 16th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Run F-150 springs off a 2wd better flex and way better departure angle. You run a 56in spring and turn them backwards, works awesome.

Brody
June 17th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Run F-150 springs off a 2wd better flex and way better departure angle. You run a 56in spring and turn them backwards, works awesome.

That, too. Thanks!

Also the Taco springs work as well as the Fords...

glacierpaul
June 17th, 2012, 06:25 AM
Nice!! Good luck!

Popsgarage
June 18th, 2012, 01:09 AM
Anyone know if you can bring a cordless sawzall into the You Pull And Pay?

They've never hassled me!

Clint Z
June 18th, 2012, 03:41 AM
You can. They just frown on the corded ones!

Always take two batteries if you have them and a few extra blades. I actuall killed my battery getting a quarter panel and had to go back the next day.

Clint

Brody
June 18th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Always take two batteries if you have them and a few extra blades. I actually killed my battery getting a quarter panel and had to go back the next day.

If it is a big project, you can cheat and use one of the solar chargers for car batteries to keep a charge going on the cordless. I have my Bosch 24 volt hammer drill (for drilling climbing anchors mostly) set up that way for long climbs. The batteries are two small 12V and if the climb is long with lots of anchors, I have a dual small solar panel that attaches to each one that I bungee on the back of my climbing pack. Works well. I have used the solar panels to keep a charge going on a an 18v DeWalt with some success. Direct sun, these will kick out 14-15 volts...

Fordguy77
January 30th, 2013, 10:23 PM
So its been a long time since anything was said in this thread. And as some of you have noticed it was recently listed for sale, and earlier today, my Dad has decided that he wanted to buy it from me, to fix up this summer and give to my sister next year when she starts driving.
As of now, all of the components to make the suspension sit a "stock" height have been ordered, as well as some missing interior panels. As well as new shackles. Not sure of what direction the rig will head now, other than to a drive-able state. I did manage to pick up a new set of wheels of CL and get them mounted on 31s today.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-lXqP_4j9M1M/UQn_TdTqNoI/AAAAAAAAArM/E6gu56a_MIc/s640/image%2520%25282%2529.jpeg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-VaI_ACW3-4w/UQn_RMT2kZI/AAAAAAAAArA/q0rkxGpFsac/s512/image%2520%25281%2529.jpeghttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-KLog-DkYCy0/UQn_Q3wOBvI/AAAAAAAAAq8/Q3Q8lc3tsXg/s512/image%2520%25283%2529.jpeg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-3zwbvnFRnYQ/UQn_WTODUbI/AAAAAAAAArU/fItiBKx8bcA/s640/image.jpeg

Fordguy77
January 30th, 2013, 10:25 PM
Pics of the current suspension issues, and some new shackles.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-2eVIL1vkXBI/UQn6bZWLK2I/AAAAAAAAAqc/a-Vq8buaUpU/s512/IMAG0124.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-W4wB-ZbSx84/UQn6Zulf75I/AAAAAAAAAqU/Su6XCJ1hMnQ/s800/IMAG0122.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-J8caKDEZNVg/UQn6XQORlEI/AAAAAAAAAqM/Xj9dD0YF2io/s800/IMAG0121.jpg

Patrolman
January 31st, 2013, 09:16 AM
Nice shiny new bling!

glacierpaul
January 31st, 2013, 09:29 AM
Nice! You have a way cool father Christopher! and your sis is lucky to have you guy's :)

Fordguy77
January 31st, 2013, 10:50 AM
Nice! You have a way cool father Christopher! and your sis is lucky to have you guy's :)
The cooler part is he still wants to stick a my FI 302 i got for it. She might now get any fuel economy but at least she'll have some power!

scout man
January 31st, 2013, 10:57 AM
smart move on your dads part. If she cant afford to drive it she cant go running all over town in it getting into trouble!!!

Chris
January 31st, 2013, 11:27 AM
Dad has decided that he wanted to buy it from me, to fix up this summer and give to my sister next year when she starts driving.

I would think he'd want her driving the FJ60, too slow to get in trouble and built to withstand just about anything!

scout man
January 31st, 2013, 11:54 AM
yea, but its got that big back seat, and all the room behind it!

Fordguy77
January 31st, 2013, 08:35 PM
I would think he'd want her driving the FJ60, too slow to get in trouble and built to withstand just about anything!

I think steve has a good point with that one! Plus Ive grown way to attached to my 60 to let my sister start driving it around!

Chris
January 31st, 2013, 08:39 PM
yea, but its got that big back seat, and all the room behind it!

At 16 a Pinto backseat is plenty big! :lmao:

I think steve has a good point with that one! Plus Ive grown way to attached to my 60 to let my sister start driving it around!

Good to hear, i look forward to seeing it on the trail again.

scout man
January 31st, 2013, 08:41 PM
At 16 a Pinto backseat is plenty big!

Sounds like that was spoken with experience!! :erm: :smokin:

Chris
January 31st, 2013, 09:50 PM
:lmao: I was too smart to buy a Pinto, I had a Vega!

Now that I think about it I had a '57 Chevy when I was 16. The Vega came later...

94ToyBear
February 3rd, 2013, 07:21 AM
Me too! Its a pretty sweet set up! Oversized 4 car garage with rv parking and a 15x40 shed behind the garage. with a 2000 square foot remodeled ranch on a 1/2 acre with plenty o rooms for my dogs! In lakewood near belmar park!

Sounds like a house I was looking at once..... is it off of perice?

Fordguy77
February 3rd, 2013, 12:34 PM
Sounds like a house I was looking at once..... is it off of perice?

No, It was in one of the older neighborhoods by belmar, near garrison and Mississippi.

94ToyBear
February 3rd, 2013, 01:28 PM
No, It was in one of the older neighborhoods by belmar, near garrison and Mississippi.

Oh I see. Nice area still.

The StRanger
February 3rd, 2013, 07:28 PM
!!!

Fordguy77
June 30th, 2013, 09:09 PM

In other news, this is pretty much what has ended up happening. Depending on how the rebuild goes, she'll probably end up using my 60 as her DD for a bit. Granted I'm still taking it back for wheeling trips until the 77 is up and running.

Since I'll be losing the FJ as a putz around/wheeler, I am going a completely different direction with my 4runner build for the time being. I am going to finish ironing out the suspension related issues, and then hopefully tackle the tuning issues, and end up using this is my putz around town and "trail rig".

The current suspension issues are due to huge lift shackles and old worn out springs/wrong springs. A while back i had ordered new springs/shackles for all 4 corners and they ctame in while i was out of town. Finally got around to looking at them, and started installing them today. I only did 1 corner and started the second.

The corner I did do, dropped 3" and looks much more realistic for a ride height than where it was at. Granted it still has a 3/4" lift do to the longer than stock shackles I used, the shackle angle is still much better than what it was before. The problem at this corner was a 9" shackle and the wrong springs being used. The OME ones i had gotten off of CL had the part number for the stock height however upon installation the shackle angle remained horrible and the ride height was outrageous. Compared to the new springs that came in, it appears these are closer to a 3" lift spring than factory height.

When I got to the second corner, the bolt on the hanger side is froze into the bushing and will have to be cut. Since the rigs at Katey's house I ended up calling it a night, and am going to grab the grinder and start hacking tomorrow after i drop the FJ60s drivetrain off to be rebuilt.

Now For A Few Pics some repeats from earlier in the the Thread, but help explain whats going on.

When It came to me it sat like this. If you look closely you can see the front suspension going negative, and larges shackles on the front, and rather large ones on the rear.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-L2toQyS6P0Q/UdDvOjxEZ0I/AAAAAAAAA3Y/fBCG3sin57U/s720/Original%2520Front%2520Suspension.jpghttps://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-WY-lEoAjlGQ/UdDvnpxpJII/AAAAAAAAA3s/us4dR8Yaweg/s324/Original%2520all%2520together.jpg

I then picked up what i though to be stock height OME's for the front. Compared to what came off they had a lot more arch, but i had figured this was due to the wear and age.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-vQ4jm473S-o/UdDvOl6iJCI/AAAAAAAAA3k/y-YsmFNuveg/s324/Original%2520VS%2520OME.jpg

Put the OME on, and didnt change shackles. The shackle angle got worse, and the ride height went a tad bit up :erm:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-7V-STWYxywo/UdDvOnCqaDI/AAAAAAAAA3g/QKuI2Q9gSyI/s720/OME%2520in%2520the%2520Front.jpg

New stock springs VS OME. The stock ones appear to be a bit longer eye to eye, but i do believe its mostly to do with the arch length.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-1S71bGATNrQ/UdDqR2m3b1I/AAAAAAAAA2c/-RcgZ6-LYmc/s512/IMG_4551.jpg

It was too dark to take pictures, but I managed to swap out the front right spring and shackle, didn't have a frame height to compare to, but it dropped the body height about 3 inches, in comparison to the other side.

I started on the right rear, but was held up by the bound bolt, however here are a few pics.

Old Spring
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-5k-tAL3JA_g/UdDqw-0iX1I/AAAAAAAAA2w/chYu6TKX6eQ/s512/photo%25202.JPG

New Spring
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-YjNwcGKfx38/UdDqxLKQj6I/AAAAAAAAA24/TjALEetR304/s640/photo%25203.JPG

glacierpaul
July 1st, 2013, 06:59 AM
Nice! Making progress....:)

Fordguy77
July 2nd, 2013, 09:48 PM
Finally finished putting in the new leafs on all 4 corners. Still need to install the new shocks but they can wait for now. With the new factory height springs and 3/4" lift shackles the 4 runner now sits 3" lower than previously in the front, as well as 2.5" lower in the rear. Looks much more level and the way a 4runner should. Pics to come later tonight.

Fordguy77
July 2nd, 2013, 11:05 PM
A few pics of the new springs, height, and shackle angles.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-a1piL4FjnH8/UdOn0mKfU6I/AAAAAAAAA9k/gjgraVuoZrs/s640/photo%25201.JPGhttps://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-j8YXCI_IhzU/UdOn1C5mWqI/AAAAAAAAA9s/R_yr2HYJ7Zw/s640/photo%25202.JPG
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-bYIrezkG8gw/UdOn1ZxyzHI/AAAAAAAAA98/ID0IJiheQwo/s640/photo%25203.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-fAij66hzC2k/UdOn1_FfoUI/AAAAAAAAA94/VVOi5VptiU8/s512/photo%25204.JPG

Brucker
July 2nd, 2013, 11:26 PM
Looking good!

glacierpaul
July 4th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Sweet!

Fordguy77
April 5th, 2014, 05:29 PM
Put my 2" body lift on today. I'm going to be parting out the drive train here this summer.

foxtrot
April 7th, 2014, 07:28 AM
What all are you going to be getting rid of on the drive train