PDA

View Full Version : GPS/Monitors ?

Cr33p3r
December 8th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I just got another brilliant idea (meaning time and $$) Was thinking if there was a way I could take my GPS (Lowrance Expedition C) and hook it up to a 7" color monitor so I can see things on a larger scale than the puny 3-4" screen? Anyone have the know how or if it can be done?

Smash
December 8th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Winky has that setup in his truck! It's really awesome.

=WINKY=
December 8th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Winky has that setup in his truck! It's really awesome.

well i use a full size computer and 15" monitor. the tricky thing is if the gps unit puts out any kind of video feed? most handheld units dont, all they put out is a x/y feed @~9600 baud that a computer program interpolates and puts on a map.

this is why im doing the ipad thing. I know it is $ but it is very practical and compact, plus it can do many other things.

Chris
December 8th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Not mean g to hijack Sean bit the iPad's GPS is very cool, I've used it extensively and it passes with flying colors.

cfr
December 8th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Not mean g to hijack Sean bit the iPad's GPS is very cool, I've used it extensively and it passes with flying colors.

How does the iPad it get map info?

Here's the iPad in the JK thread from Camp Crocker (builds wicked JKs),

http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?127295-IPAD-n-a-JK-O-Yeh!!!

Sorry for the hijack.

Chris
December 8th, 2010, 09:04 PM
You can download the GPS info and use it w/o any connection which is pretty much like an electronic Google map or use the 3G version and use it like a traditional GPS. I use Motion X.

Cr33p3r
December 9th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Thanks so far guys, but can these two be connected for the sole purpose to give me a larger monitor? That is all I am looking to do. I am wondering if the wirirng from the gps electronic panel can just be wired directly to the monitors panel or am I waaaay off on that thought?

=WINKY=
December 9th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Thanks so far guys, but can these two be connected for the sole purpose to give me a larger monitor? That is all I am looking to do. I am wondering if the wirirng from the gps electronic panel can just be wired directly to the monitors panel or am I waaaay off on that thought?

like i mentioned, it really depends on if the gps unit itself outputs video. I highly doubt that a small unit like that does so your chances are nil. If it did, you would have to isolate the rgb and ground leads and feed them to a converter or a screen that converts already.

Fatboris
December 21st, 2010, 07:17 PM
I have an iPad I've brought on two trips. Same problem as a cellphone, you have to rely on the 3G connection which is non-existent on the trails I brought it on.

Chris
December 21st, 2010, 07:34 PM
Hey Eric, did you try dowloading the GPS info first?

Fatboris
December 21st, 2010, 09:18 PM
Hey Eric, did you try dowloading the GPS info first?

whatchoo talkin 'bout Willis?

Chris
December 21st, 2010, 09:20 PM
:lmao: Did I leave something out?

I figured you were using Motion-X, were you?

Fatboris
December 28th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I figured you were using Motion-X, were you?

Not so good with the tech thing. I was just using the map function that comes with iPad. This thread inspired me to do some digging around. I'm thinking about doing GPS Tuner on my iPad and iPhone, do you have any experience or heard anything on that app? Looks pretty snappy to me.

Chris
December 28th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Since it's really iPhone only I passed on it. I like Motion X which uses the full iPad screen. GPS Tuner looks kind of crappy on the big screen.

Fatboris
December 28th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Great info, Chris. I think I'm going to try GPS Tuner lite since it's free to see how it works. By the time I get the wife, kids, juiceboxes and snacks in my Jeep it gets tight. I'll more than likely defer to my iPhone in most cases since I can pick up a window mount for it. I may have to put an addition on my JK just to fit all my crap.

Chris
December 28th, 2010, 01:38 PM
I hear you on that! Funny thing is that I went from an old Land Cruiser to a 4th gen 4Runner and now I have a nice built-in GPS so I don't see myself using anything else.